Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 01:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 04:34 
Insiders
Insiders

List of widescreen resolutions that were not tested:
1280 x 720
etc.

Please list them all next time. The idea of this list is to provide a "TBD" so that other people can see what needs to be tested quite clearly.

Anyway, I confirm support for all these resolutions:
1280x720
1280x768
1280x800
1440x900
1680x1050
1920x1080
1920x1200

And with that, the game gets a B+, with the inventory screen squashing (why?) its sole blemish.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 16:44 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Honestly, looks fine to me, but maybe you messed with the FoV? Try restoring the defaults and redoing it, I didn't need to edit the .ini to get my TH res, it was selectable from the config utility, and the FoV was correct.

EDIT: Took another look, I think your FoV is too low, try increasing it, when I get home and can check, I'll post what mine is set to.

Some info here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4640.html?highlight=eyefinity

Wow, took a look at the video, your FoV still looks a little off, but there is definitely a bigger issue here, and I honestly don't know what it is, have you tried reinstalling?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 15:54 

I've been having the same FPS problem as the other folks here.

The game runs silky smooth at 1920x1080 but at surround resolutions I only get 15FPS.
6080x1080 is unplayable. :(

I have a pair of Superclocked GTX 480s, so this shouldn't be an issue!

I tried renaming the exe to penumbra.exe but to no avail.

It looks like bad driver support from nVidia. Maybe it will be fixed in the next release...

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Dan

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:56 

This game has the same mouse issues as Penumbra.

The wider the screen gets, the slower horizontal mouse movement becomes. It makes the mouse feel weird in widescreen, and completely out of whack in surround.

I wish they would fix this problem already :(

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 14:40 
Editors
Editors

This game has the same mouse issues as Penumbra.

The wider the screen gets, the slower horizontal mouse movement becomes. It makes the mouse feel weird in widescreen, and completely out of whack in surround.

I wish they would fix this problem already :(

Wow, seems like everyone had an issue with the game but me.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 05:24 

Yep. I can concur that the game runs terrible in Surround resolutions. I am running two GTX 580 in SLI @ 6050x1080 and the game is simply unplayable.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 23:27 

Perhaps this might be a good game for Lobbying Central? All they really need to do is add separate sensitivity controls for the mouse's horizontal and vertical axis so we can fix the problem ourselves.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 22:34 

Hoping I can help anyone else that has performance issues with triple screens (specifically NV Surround)
**Please note all settings below resulted in the best possible visuals to maintain playable framerate (~30)
***Any setting not mentioned was set to High/Full/ON, etc so as to max the visual settings.

If using Nvidia cards, be sure to rename Amnesia.exe to Penumbra.exe (this resulted in huge fps increase alone due to SLI Profiles)

1) Graphics Options:
SSAO Resolution set to MEDIUM
HIGH results in 17fps, MEDIUM results in 55fps (at title screen)

2) Graphics Options:
SSAO Samples 16 (recommended) = 55fps on title screen / 35fps avg in first section of game
SSAO Samples 32 = 40fps on title screen / 25fps avg in first section of game

3) Post Processing:
I had to turn OFF Image Trail for surround, it bleeds and distorts waaaay too much (Image Trail ON at 1920x1080 was fine)
This did not affect my fps, it was just a visual effect that caused everything to look horrible in surround mode.

4) OPTIONAL - Fix shadow flickering = turn shadows off (of course you lose all shadows, so not really a fix, but it will stop the flicker, and probably increase your fps a bit too)

I noticed while changing some options IN-GAME, the engine would crap out or halve my fps. Exiting game and reloading fixed this. If need be, you can make changes via the launcher first, it should still apply them, even if you have to manually launch the 'Penumbra.exe'

Mouse Sensitivity while in surround:
In surround, this game will also screw up the mouse on the horizontal access; aka takes longer to pan left/right. You can up the mouse sensitivity in game, but then the vertical axis seems way to fast. If you are lucky enough to have a mouse that supports independent x-y sensitivity (aka Razer Naga, etc), you can easily get around this limitation and ramp up your X-axis, but keep the Y-axis the same value.

Well I hope if anyone comes back here and searches for this game that this will help them. I figure that on dual 1gb 460s (pretty low end) that if I can run this game, then other configs with more juice should be able to at least start off with my settings, and increase options from there until they hit the 30fps wall in game.