Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 20:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 04:05 

Ok, I'm late to this post and also confused. neoWidescreen's first screen shots appear to show the horizontal game width increasing nicely with no change in vertical height. Doesn't this mean the game is hor+? neoWidescreen describes those screen shots as vert-.

Then, in neoWidescreen's third post the screen shots clearly show a large increase in vertical height as well as horizontal width when going from 4:3 to widescreen, or more accurately when going from pre-zoomed to a post-zoomed image. What gives? Does this game scale properly when changing the FOV or not? Why do the two sets of screen shots appear to show differing results? Please enlighten. 8)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 10:00 

just to say that you can have more detailed trees by using e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio which i set to 30 (so avoiding bad textures at short distance), adjust it as you wish..

same for e_obj_view_dist_ratio which i set to 200 to see further soldiers in normal vision (i mean, when not zooming or using binoculars) is useful for avoiding them fading away at short distance

if you want it permanent, put it in config files, and they are other tweaks like that... go to Far Cry official site forum

I also can say that playing with Matrox TH2Go, i use a fov of 179 as explained at start of this topic in Zoomview.lua, meaning i have a nearly 180° field of view with my gun centered (if you put 180 in the formula, you have bugs when zooming in/out)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 11:08 

Hey X-Ray Doc,

Sorry to confuse you... FarCry was one the most confusing games i've had to WS hack. Seems my guide hasn't helped much.

The inconsistancy between the top screenshots and the ones in the third post is Single-Player vs Multiplayer mode.

In Single-player, the games is HOR+... and works beautifully.

Multiplayer is a dog and appears to react differently. Adjusting the FOV=108 in multiplayer makes a greater change than in singleplayer mode. This is what confused the hell outta me.

hope that helps. If anyone can shed insight please be my guest. :)

Valjack: thanx for posting that extremely useful tip. nice setup too btw.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 13:10 

My version is 1.33 (singleplayer), changing the zoomview.lua file as described does not make any difference. I replaced the 90 with 120, loaded a game, zoomed in and out, but it does not work, i see the difference when I change the fov using the console. Does anyone have the same problem? Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 06:05 

I also can say that playing with Matrox TH2Go, i use a fov of 179 as explained at start of this topic in Zoomview.lua, meaning i have a nearly 180° field of view with my gun centered (if you put 180 in the formula, you have bugs when zooming in/out)

Always nice to see a TH2g post.

in FarCry (FC) I was wondering tho, is there any way to go past 180 in order to zoom out even more? (yes, I tried a value past 180 and the screen starting shaking)?

Also, my HUD is rather large and is cut off at the bottom by about 1/5th. Changing the FOV didn't the HUD one bit - it is still oversized and too low. What gives? ANy suggestions (I have changed resolutions in the FC video menu to othe setting - no luck there). I guess I'm sorta stabbing around trying to get the best gameing perspective

BTW, FC + TH2G + 3, 19" LCD's + NVIDA GTX 7800 in SLI + the aecanyon map = a visually stunning gaming experience. Eye popping graphics with good FPS.

But always looking to improve whenever possible.

jaimslaw

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 11:46 

Now I must rush in and look like a retard and ask the dumbass question, What is the proper FOV to use for 1680x1050 in Farcry

And when using the console method of /fov # will you have to zoom for it to take effect

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 14:57 

And when using the console method of /fov # will you have to zoom for it to take effect

if you havent done the hack and use the console thing only the FOV will Revert back to default when you zoom out
changing the fov in console is instantaneous.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 21:20 

What is the proper FOV to use for 1680x1050 in Farcry

I haven't tried hacking Far Cry for widescreen yet. But the exact calculated FOV to use for a 16:10 aspect ratio resolution such as 1680 x 1050 should be 100.3889. That assumes that the correct default FOV for a 4:3 screen is 90. 8)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006, 17:54 

Hmmm...I just bought this game, updated it to patch 1.4, and I didn't have to hack or edit anything for WS support. 1680 X 1050 was a selectable res from the start. It looks great!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006, 18:06 
Insiders
Insiders

But was it hor +? Native support of widescreen resolutions is nothing new - it's getting the FOV right that's being discussed. If it's not hor + automatically, then all this discussion about FOV is still relevant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next