Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 15:56 

This is great of you Cranky, I look forward to the results. This is one of my favorite FPS games of all time :D

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 00:25 
Editors
Editors

So when I tried to run the game I ran headlong into the 'All Q3 engine games are non-functional due to borked OGL in any Catalyst driver higher than 10.4' problem. I got things sorted through a community fix, but I'm shocked that AMD hasn't rectified this problem in any of the 3 more recent driver releases.
/rant off

On to the new RTCW executable...great work, Cranky! I followed your instructions and the game ran at 3840x1024 for me the first time. No errors or anomalies noticed thus far. Some screenies:

Apparently there was some residual Google Earth imagery in VRAM? The intro video played fine, though.

One question: is the game based on a 4:3 base AR? I noticed that the green energy bar is actually pushed out onto my left monitor, and the main menu extends a little onto both side monitors. Is there a tweak I should do since I'm running 3x5:4 or is this correct functionality?

Thanks again. I've never played this game before and now I have a very good reason. ;)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 01:30 

Ran across a bug after picking up the sniper scope. There's some HUD stretch going on here:

To match the original game, it should look something like this (this is just a Photoshoped example)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 03:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Should we patch the game to the latest version before using these modified files

I would, if you aren't running the Steam version. The modified files are the binaries, and the patch probably contains updated data files as well as new binaries.

Apparently there was some residual Google Earth imagery in VRAM?

Interesting. I don't quite understand how the movie player works - I just sort of messed with the code until it played at all (retail RTCW will not play FMVs at wide aspect ratios at all), and after that, changed the screen scaling code to make it keep the aspect ratio. I can't reproduce this myself, and even if I could, I have no idea how you would flush the VRAM, so don't count on me fixing it.

One question: is the game based on a 4:3 base AR?

Yes. If you want the HUD to stay on the center monitor, I would recommend you create a 3840x960 custom resolution. This should cause the middle 33% to be a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Ran across a bug after picking up the sniper scope. There's some HUD stretch going on here

Thanks for catching that. Fixed, and new version uploaded. Should work fine with your old saved game, as long as you didn't quicksave while zoomed in.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 06:51 

Thanks for fixing the scope so quickly! :bowdown

It's almost perfect, but there's a gap in the texture on the right side. Any way to close that slit?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 19:07 
Editors
Editors

Apparently there was some residual Google Earth imagery in VRAM?

Interesting. I don't quite understand how the movie player works - I just sort of messed with the code until it played at all (retail RTCW will not play FMVs at wide aspect ratios at all), and after that, changed the screen scaling code to make it keep the aspect ratio. I can't reproduce this myself, and even if I could, I have no idea how you would flush the VRAM, so don't count on me fixing it.

This seems to have been a random fluke since subsequent launches don't show residual imagery anymore. Not sure what the cause may be, but I'm guessing it's more something to do with my system than the game code itself--no fixing expected on your part.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 20:44 
Insiders
Insiders

It's almost perfect, but there's a gap in the texture on the right side.

I don't see anything wrong with the zoomed view. Are you talking about this?

(if you're talking about something different, please show me a screenshot and disregard the rest of this post)

I'm guessing that they didn't bother drawing the lens texture on the ViewWeapon model, as they never expected anyone would be playing in triple monitor mode. If that's the case, then there's nothing I can do about that. I did look into the possibility that the scope is penetrating the zNear plane, but after messing around with the ViewWeapon function and getting it to draw the weapon from different angles and distances, that texture still is missing.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 23:43 

Nah, the missing geometry is understandable. The issue I'm talking about is directly related to the scope fix you just made:

Look to the right side of the image, where the 4:3 boundary would normally be. There's a texture seam where the scope overlay ends and the black overlay starts.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 02:37 
Insiders
Insiders

It doesn't look like that for me. At the same resolution as you:

Also, is that the mauser with scope? My crosshairs look different. I checked my unmodified version of the game, and it matches my shot, not yours.

Could you upload your saved game and config files to me? Just to be safe, I'd like to have everything inside your "main" folder, subfolders included, except for the pk3 files that are greater than 1MB, and also except for your "rtcwkey" file (don't share this ever).

Also, if you have time for this, I'd like to know the names and size (in KB) of each of the pk3 files in main that are greater than 1MB.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 04:01 

I was running at 5292x1050, I just cropped it to 1680x1050 so the thumbnail would be bigger. The black area to either side was just wasted space anyway.
By the way, this is the original version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, not the Game of the Year Edition. It's possible they modified the scopes slightly between versions.

Here are the files you requested. I only included one saved game file, where I have the gun and scope already equipped.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3ncv0u26sf58d89

As for the sizes of the pk3 files larger than 1mb
mp_pak0.pk3 == 61,730 KB
mp_pak1.pk3 == 4,346 KB
pak0.pk3 == 308,422 KB
sp_pak1.pk3 == 287,000 KB
sp_pak2.pk3 == 10,768 KB

Can you just shift that boundary over by a couple of pixels to fix the problem, even if you aren't seeing it? There's quite a bit of boundary space, so the overlap wouldn't be visible at all.

Edit: I'm also not seeing any missing geometry on this gun or scope. Did you crank the FOV really high to show the problem, or is specific to that particular weapon you're using?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next