Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Jul 2024, 10:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Team Fortress 2
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 01:01 
Insiders
Insiders

Indeed.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 05:05 
Founder
Founder

I have tested at 2560x1600

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2008, 02:11 

I've been to get this game running at 3x 1280x800 but 3x 1440x900 does not appear to be supported. Any solutions for this?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 13:10 

i've just tried it at 5040x1050 :)

very good although slightly stretched becuase the field of view is onli max 90

playing on q6600 +8800gt getting very good frames with 16aa on :)

Post subject: FOV Confusion
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 19:54 

I know I'm a bit late to this whole discussion. But something doesn't seem correct to me. All of the posted screen shots pretty much look like accurage Hor+ support. But the game now has an FOV slider that I think goes from 75 to 90. When I adjust that slider, it definitely causes hor+ and vert+ at the same time. In other words, increasing the FOV setting simply zooms out and decreasing the FOV setting zooms in. Where all of the various screen shots taken with different resolution settings, but leaving the FOV setting unchanged? In other words, when you just change resolutions, does the game engine automatically apply a correct Hor+ FOV that is apparently independant of the in game FOV slider? Now that there is a FOV slider, what are recommended settings for 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9? Thanks.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 20:06 
Insiders
Insiders

The FOV slider directly adjusts the vertical FOV. Horizontal FOV is calculated dynamically, based on the vertical FOV and the aspect ratio.

These screenshots were all taken before the FOV slider was implemented, so they all have the same vertical FOV setting - the same as if the slider was at 75. The official WSGF solution is to leave the slider as it is - the game will automatically increase your horizontal FOV just by using a widescreen resolution. But off the record, feel free to adjust the slider to your own preference. That's why Valve gave you one.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 20:40 

So technically, the FOV slider should be labeled Vertical FOV adjustment? That does seem to make sense given the way the slider works. But I've never actually heard of a game allowing specification of the vertical FOV. Usually FOV simply means horizontal FOV. And in this case, changing the FOV slider does change both the horizontal and vertical FOV. But you're confident that the ultimate, resulting horizontal FOV will be set correctly and automatically by the game engine based on the resolution aspect ratio chosen?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 21:20 

So technically, the FOV slider should be labeled Vertical FOV adjustment? That does seem to make sense given the way the slider works. And in this case, changing the FOV slider does change both the horizontal and vertical FOV.

When you increase the Hor or Vert fov in the same aspect ratio you will get more vertical and horizontal area. They are linked in that regard.

So if you have a square aspect ratio and increase the vertical fov the image will zoom out to show the increased vertical viewing area which will also bring out more on the sides. So in the same aspect ratio any increase in fov, is a zoom out(Hor + & Vert +) and any decrease is a zoom in(Hor - & Vert -).

In regards to grading we are just looking to see if the vertical fov remains constant in different aspect ratios with the acceptable changes being horizontal fov or anamorphism. The actual fov value itself is subjective. Developers pick a fov that should be functional for the majority of the people. But some have preferences or needs(motion sickness) the require a higher or lower fov and this is what that slider is for.

In short, it is not the value of the fov but how it is manipulated between different aspect ratios that we focus on.

But I've never actually heard of a game allowing specification of the vertical FOV. Usually FOV simply means horizontal FOV.

A lot of the Vert - games that we have solutions to get into Hor + behavior use the Vertical fov. What happens is the increased vertical viewing area brings out the extra Hor stuff on the sides. It is just a different path to the same solution(Changing the Hor fov).

But you're confident that the ultimate, resulting horizontal FOV will be set correctly and automatically by the game engine based on the resolution aspect ratio chosen?

Yes. The game supports aspect ratios the best way that it can. If you as the gamer feel the view is too far zoomed in or out you can adjust the fov slider as necessary.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 00:14 
Insiders
Insiders

But I've never actually heard of a game allowing specification of the vertical FOV. Usually FOV simply means horizontal FOV.

If a game is vert -, then FOV means horizontal FOV.
If a game is hor +, then FOV means vertical FOV.

And in this case, changing the FOV slider does change both the horizontal and vertical FOV.

I explained this already. The horizontal FOV is dynamically calculated, based on the vertical FOV and the aspect ratio. If you change the vertical FOV, the horizontal FOV will automatically change as well.

But you're confident that the ultimate, resulting horizontal FOV will be set correctly and automatically by the game engine based on the resolution aspect ratio chosen?

Basically, except it's not even the game engine that takes care of that. The Source engine only "knows" about the vertical FOV. Direct3D takes care of calculating the horizontal FOV.
And you can test this by setting the FOV slider to any value you like, and then taking comparison shots yourself at two different resolutions. You will see that when the FOV slider is the same but the aspect ratio is different, the vertical FOV will be the same but the horizontal FOV will be different but correct for both pictures.

A lot of the Vert - games that we have solutions to get into Hor + behavior use the Vertical fov. What happens is the increased vertical viewing area brings out the extra Hor stuff on the sides. It is just a different path to the same solution(Changing the Hor fov).

Actually, you've got it backwards. If a game is vert -, then FOV is horizontal FOV, and vertical FOV is calculated dynamically. By increasing the horizontal FOV to what it should be, the vertical FOV is dynamically increased back to what it used to be.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 04:22 

Actually, you've got it backwards. If a game is vert -, then FOV is horizontal FOV, and vertical FOV is calculated dynamically. By increasing the horizontal FOV to what it should be, the vertical FOV is dynamically increased back to what it used to be.

I think I am foved out at this point.