Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Borderlands (Vert-)
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 21:35 
Insiders
Insiders

I guess I'd like to know more about how the running FOV boost mechanic works, then.

when you run you get an extra 20FOV or so and a fish eye effect. The Effect is minor at lower FOV and gets dramatically worse in higher FOV.

If that's correct, then the FOV boost from running is not a fixed value. 20 FOV would actually be a major boost at a low starting FOV and a minor boost at a high FOV.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 22:54 

The image in the upper left is the closest I could get for running. If the fov is being increased by a % that may be why there is a big change in TH.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 23:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Here's an idea, if you're up to it.

Find out:
The maximum FOV setting that doesn't cause inverting while standing still
The maximum FOV setting that doesn't cause inverting while running
If both of these things are the same regardless of the AR

This might shed some light on what's going on. And then again, it might just confuse the hell out of everyone.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 00:24 

Here's an idea, if you're up to it.

Find out:
The maximum FOV setting that doesn't cause inverting while standing still
The maximum FOV setting that doesn't cause inverting while running
If both of these things are the same regardless of the AR

That doesn't seem too bad. I will try and do it later today. I suppose I could get the default hor fov as well.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 06:18 
Editors
Editors

I had it close but not exact before because I set multiple FOV biinds in segments of 5. It was 125 that worked and 130 that put it over i think.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 07:37 
Insiders
Insiders

For running or standing still?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 11:29 
Editors
Editors

For running or standing still?

Running. Not sure if you can even do it standing still. Its not just a FOV boost its a fisheye effect too.

meaning if it was say a 20+ to the FOV the effect at 100FOV running is not the same as 120 standing. its some kind of fisheye effect. After around FOV 110 you get severe tunnel vision too when running.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 13:56 

-Game Information-

Borderlands is a pseudo-open world shooting games with RPG elements from Gearbox Software, makers of the Brothers in Arms games and the original Halo's PC port. Borderlands is best described as Diablo reinvented as a first-person shooter and has a unique graphical style somewhere between cell-shading and concept art.

-Version-

United States version purchased through Steam. Patched to version 1.10.

Note: Patch 1.10 only adds compatability for the first DLC release "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" and also contains some SecuROM files not present in the base Borderlands game which are solely intended to "speak" to the DLC, which has an activation limit version of SecuROM protection.

-Method-

Borderlands natively supports widescreen and ultra-wide resolutions through its options menu. Support is normally Vert- in all widescreen resolutions as is typical with Unreal Engine 3 games, however there is a quick solution for Hor+ widescreen gameplay in all resolutions.

Step One: Download the hack from this thread on the Borderlands official forum: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Hack Interface:

Step Two: Run the hack and set your FOV in the middle-bottom section. You must set the FOV change to a key from the list below that, such as the forward movement key or sprinting key. When in-game the FOV will "snap" to the Hor+ value at the press of this key.

Step Three: Hit apply and close the hack, then run Borderlands as normal and press your set FOV changing key.

Note that using a vehicle in the game resets the FOV as may some other events like a cinemas playing. With the FOV set to a movement or sprint key you can quickly reset it to the Hor+ value by moving in the game after the car or cinema section is complete.

-Supported Resolutions-

The following resolutions were loaded to test for this report:

1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1360x768, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x768.

-Gameplay Screen Change-

With the FOV hack explained above Borderlands is Hor+ in all widescreen resolutions. Note that the weapon model is still slightly cut-off in ultra-widescreen despite the FOV hack.

4:3 Gameplay (Default FOV):

16:10 Gameplay (FOV 85):

16:9 Gameplay (FOV 95):

Ultra-Wide Gameplay (FOV 115):

-Sprinting Screen Change-

Borderlands has what some might call a critical flaw in widescreen resolutions using the above widescreen method. When sprinting Borderlands alters the FOV for a kind of reverse zoom effect to make you feel the sprinting effect. When hacking the FOV for Hor+ widescreen the increase in FOV when sprinting can be extreme depending on your resolution. I personally find it to be perfectly acceptable in 16:9 resolutions but the wider your aspect ratio and thus the higher your FOV the more the sprint effect will feel "fisheyed" and disorienting.

Below are screenshots of normal Vert- sprinting followed by Hor+ sprinting, first in 16:9 and then in an ultra-wide resolution of 1920x768.

16:9 Springting: Default FOV:

16:9 Sprinting: 95 FOV:

Ultra-wide Sprinting: Default FOV:

Ultra-wide Sprinting: 115 FOV:

-HUD Screen Change-

Borderlands' HUD stretches ever so slightly in ultra-widescreen resolutions. Pay particular attention to the green compass marker and wider letters like "W". It scales correctly in single-monitor resolutions.

4:3 HUD:

16:9 HUD:

16:10 HUD:

Ultra-Wide HUD:

-Menu Screen Change-

Borderlands' in-game menu scales correctly and is pillarboxed by gameplay on the left and right in widescreen resolutions.

4:3 Menu:

16:9 Menu:

Ultra-Wide Menu:

However, the main menu of Borderlands is Vert- even in the 2D elements and since it is pre-gameplay the ini hack command does not work, making for a tough menu to use at ultra-wide resolutions.

4:3 Main Menu:

16:9 Main Menu:

Ultra-Wide Main Menu:

-Scope Screen Change-

Borderlands' scope view is Vert- even with the hack applied due to it being a 2D overlay. While not harmful to gameplay the neutered scope gameplay can detract from the experience for some users.

4:3 Scope:

16:9 Scope:

Ultra-Wide Scope:

-Cinema Screen Change-

Borderlands has some rare cinema sequences which are anamorphic video and display as such on single monitors while being pillarboxed in ultra-wide resolutions.

4:3 Cinema:

16:9 Cinema:

Ultra-Wide Cinema:

-Multiplayer-

Multiplayer in Borderlands is limited to coop and is identical to singleplayer.

-Grading-

Widescreen Related Flaws:
- Hack and in-game key solution required for Hor+ gameplay
- Weapon model cut-off in widescreen
- HUD stretch in ultra-widescreen
- Scope is Vert-
- Main menu is Vert-
- Sprinting FOV can be "fisheyed" at high FOV settings
- Vehicle use resets FOV

Questions:
- Testing resolutions higher than 1920x1080

Final Grade:
- C: FOV hack and sprint FOV problems are consequential flaws.

Coverage Estimate:
- 99.5%

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 14:10 

Pretty sure I called the HUD right but I am bad at that crap, so let me know if you think it's wrong.

P.S. I forgot the cinemas, which are rare and anamorphic. I'll add that in when I get back from Christmas vacation.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 17:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Could you annotate each screenshot with the FOV used?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next