Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 04:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010, 12:09 
Editors
Editors

I'm afraid we have some "inverted stretching" going on on 2D screens... Although the inventory looks ok in all ARs, proportions are not maintained.

4:3

16:10

16:9

48:10

I'm new, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any way to get this game running at 852 x 480?
Not a dumb question, and yes! There is. 8)
Display settings are saved in DocumentsAmnesiaMainmain_settings.cfg so simply open this file in Notepad and edit this line (these are the default settings, your mileage may vary) :
Code:
<Screen Width="1024" Height="768" FullScreen="true" Vsync="false" />

[quote]Since the game is natively Hor+, this FOV value is probably the vertical FOV. :wink:

Maybe you are right, but when I increased the FOV to 100 on my 16:10 monitor I got a crazy fish eye effect, doesn't that mean that the FOV has been increased Horisontally?Oh yes it has, as a result of the higher vert FOV. What you get is Hor+/Vert+ or "zoomed out" gameplay.

16:10, FOV=70

16:10, FOV=85

You can witness the opposite behavior on the main menu: the FOV narrows as you start a game, so the camera is "zooming in" on the door. You can even edit the default and zoomed FOV values in menu.cfg ;)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 15:11 
Editors
Editors

I'm afraid we have some "inverted stretching" going on on 2D screens... Although the inventory looks ok in all ARs, proportions are not maintained.

4:3

16:10

16:9

48:10

Is this actually a problem? Looks more like a matter of preference to me. Take a look at the original Penumbra games in Surround, I prefer this slightly smallish hud to that giant stretched unreadable hud.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 08:43 
Editors
Editors

All subjectivity aside, it's a flaw in general widescreen support, that's all I'm saying.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 18:22 
Editors
Editors

All subjectivity aside, it's a flaw in general widescreen support, that's all I'm saying.

Alright, I respect your opinion.

So.... Hows about some certification?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 19:06 

Well, surround gaming does not work at all for me.

I run Amnesia in Eyefinity mode (3x 1920x1080) and I get this huge stretched image on my left and right screen (*attachment), the middle one is fine.

I tried to fiddle with the FOV setting in configgame.cfg but I couldn't solve it.

So if anyone has an idea how to get a descent image without the huge stretching it would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 21:13 
Editors
Editors

This is not exactly stretch, your setup works fine.
Objects on the far sides appear to be closer to you than when you face them: that's just how 3D games look like in ultra-wide aspect ratios... which 3x 16:9 sure is.
:arrow: The Truth About Edge Distortion

One way to "fix" this, is for the game to use three cameras (one per screen). Some flight sims can do that. Most games just don't.
It can be distracting at first, but you'll get used to it - just focus on the central portion of the display and let your peripheral vision enjoy the rest.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 08:09 

Yeah I thought so.. but in this game it is far worse then in any other (like crysis or such).

I've made a fraps-recorder to show the amnesia gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAGzPFh-YWE&hd=1

So if anyone has any idea how to make it better.. would be great.

For comparison I also made an eyefinity video of crysis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyL6xtZQDA#t=0m40s

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 14:44 

1680x1050 and 1920x1200 work ok too :!:

( do i need to provide a sample at 1680x1050:?: )

Yes, it is built on the Penumbra HPL engine.
It's actually HPL2.
HPL1 is opensource already: http://github.com/FrictionalGames/HPL1Engine ;)

Hmm this game works for me in surround, but FPS is unplayable, 12fps or worse. Something is very wrong. SLI 480s should not have a problem with what seems to be a source engine game. Runs fine on one monitor though.
With SSAO samples at 32 max and SSAO texture to Medium ?
It's a steady 30fps ( even without frame limit ) at 1920x1200/HIGH on my GTS250.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 17:32 
Editors
Editors

Well, surround gaming does not work at all for me.

I run Amnesia in Eyefinity mode (3x 1920x1080) and I get this huge stretched image on my left and right screen (*attachment), the middle one is fine.

I tried to fiddle with the FOV setting in configgame.cfg but I couldn't solve it.

So if anyone has an idea how to get a descent image without the huge stretching it would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, looks fine to me, but maybe you messed with the FoV? Try restoring the defaults and redoing it, I didn't need to edit the .ini to get my TH res, it was selectable from the config utility, and the FoV was correct.

EDIT: Took another look, I think your FoV is too low, try increasing it, when I get home and can check, I'll post what mine is set to.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 23:46 

Honestly, looks fine to me, but maybe you messed with the FoV? Try restoring the defaults and redoing it, I didn't need to edit the .ini to get my TH res, it was selectable from the config utility, and the FoV was correct.

EDIT: Took another look, I think your FoV is too low, try increasing it, when I get home and can check, I'll post what mine is set to.

Some info here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4640.html?highlight=eyefinity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next