Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 14:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 07:46 

The FOV and game are designed around 16:9. 4:3 is Vert+.

Not again...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 06:14 
Editors
Editors

Borderlands is definitely not surround capable, even with the hack.

FOV binds dont even fix half the issues.

We mentioned

> sprint FOV and how it gets corruped with higher FOV values
> Scope zoom
> Vert - on Menu & Gun Models

also dont forget to add

> Vehicle FOV changes back to default even with FOV binds so your driving blind in surround
> FOV will reset each time you load a new area so you have to hit your bind again

This is a game I really liked, but even after trying for a few days straight I could not play it in surround with the major flaws, the really awkward zoom made almost all scope weapons usless, the sprint issue constantly bothered me, the menu navigation meant I had ot change resolutions just to join/create a multiplayer game since I could not navigate the menus, and the cut off weapon models is also an annoyance.

So I dont play the game anymore I play Serious Sam HD instead, but if I wanted to play it I would only play this one one a single screen. Surround is not really an option.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 06:56 

Yeah I listed every flaw you just mentioned. Most of them are more serious in ultra-wide, but then ultra-wide flaws and treated less harshly.

Even I go back and forth in 16:9 whether the added FOV is worth hitting that button every time I get in and out of a car or change areas or watch a video. A lot of times the FOV resets when you are in the middle of a fight and it really throws you off.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 07:51 

I presume someone tried the normal UE3 FOV setting in the config files as opposed to having to bind it to a key right? Does it not work at all, or just get reset by stuff?

I just got this game and I get a bit of a headache as a result of the small FOV. It appears to use somewhere around 75° and when you're within 3 feet of a 40" monitor, it's pretty disconcerting.

I actually don't like too big an FOV at 16:9, I find 90° to be ideal comprise between seeing enough, and not having too much distortion near the edges, but anything below 85° is tough to deal with.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 08:07 

I like 95 myself. Even on my "little" 24" monitor the FOV of Borderlands is terrible, worst since Turok which also bothered me. The odd thing is Call of Duty games have an FOV of 65 I believe and none of them bother me. I guess it depends on the game?

And yeah, it was mentioned in the original thread the solution came from that the other methods were tried without success.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 08:32 

The odd thing is Call of Duty games have an FOV of 65 I believe and none of them bother me.

That's 65 degrees vertically, not horizontal like most games.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 19:06 

Someone over on the official forums for the game wrote a neat little config utility that handles changing some things that aren't available in the game menu (it pretty much just automates making the ini tweaks) - including the FOV settings. There's various options to bind it to the movement keys so it gets re-applied any time you move.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Here's a screenshot:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 21:32 

I'll test it out and swap it with the ini solution if it works well. Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 22:12 

Hack works great, updated solution. Should have no effect on grading as it is just automating the ini solution for easier use.

I love the look of the game with the heavy black lines turned off, thanks for that.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 03:40 

SV: The link you edited into the main post goes to the picture instead of the forum thread :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next