Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 08:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Borderlands
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 23:35 

Widescreen Grade: C
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Borderlands

Borderlands is a pseudo-open world shooting games with RPG elements from Gearbox Software, makers of the Brothers in Arms games and the original Halo's PC port. Borderlands is best described as Diablo reinvented as a first-person shooter and has a unique graphical style somewhere between cell-shading and concept art.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by Tanuki on 30 Sep 2018, 20:26, edited 3 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Borderlands (Vert-)
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 23:37 

Looking at these something may be amiss with the weapons in 4:3 but I can't be bothered to check it out. Maybe something to keep in mind if anyone does a DR.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 23:47 
Insiders
Insiders

Vert+! :P 16:9 native.

4:3 is probably cropped just because of a cropped horizontal view for the 360.

I find a lot of 360 games ported to the PC often support 16:9 and 4:3 correctly, but exhibit odd behavior in 16:10 and others.

Afterall, the 360 developer documents say that all games must be developed for 16:9. 4:3 support is completely optional, and if the developer chooses not to support 4:3, then the 360 will automatically downscale and add black bars to the 4:3 picture (which >75% of 360 games do).

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 00:12 

4:3 is probably cropped just because of a cropped horizontal view for the 360.

The weapon is still cropped vertically some. It might just be bob though.

Afterall, the 360 developer documents say that all games must be developed for 16:9. 4:3 support is completely optional, and if the developer chooses not to support 4:3, then the 360 will automatically downscale and add black bars to the 4:3 picture (which >75% of 360 games do).

Does Borderlands do this on the 360?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 01:56 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't have Borderlands for the 360, but seeing how they handle 4:3 on the PC, it likely behaves the same way on the 360... but I can't say for sure.

Every Unreal Engine 3 game is really different in the way it's done.

Most 360 UE3 games are simply 16:9, and they let the 360 itself handle the downsampling to 4:3 with black bars. There are a couple that implement a proper 4:3 view, but it's really not that common.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 06:01 
Editors
Editors

Borderlands is Vert- default but if you bind a higher FOV to a key you can make it Hor+

Still after going back and forth from the hacked FOV+ to a single screen I decided overall that Hor+ is not worth it.

FOV is good but when you run it changes the FOV and creates a fisheye effect, the higher the FOV the worse the effect. When you get in a car the FOV will revert to default again.

when you zoom with a weapon the zoom uses the native FOV so you get super zoom making close range weapons really hard to use, and the way the game uses HOR+ it makes enemies and things appear to be very far away from you. So you think your in good sniper distance but in reality your like at handgun distance and the enemy sees you and attacks.

Weapons get cut off badly in TH resolutions and the main menu (esc key) is cropped/zoomed, but the tab menu works perfectly even in TH.

This is a game I would really like to lobby for proper TH support on, but I dont know how much of it can be fixed with how the game was designed.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 06:17 

There is supposedly a massive Borderlands PC patch coming, but who knows what it will fix. The default FOV is about normal now-a-days anyway, you either get used to it or hack every game, which seems to be the way things are. Everything is designed around sitting much further away with an HDTV.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 20:54 
Insiders
Insiders

if you bind a higher FOV to a key you can make it Hor+

I'd like to see screenshots demonstrating this. Would you mind posting some, and instructions on how to reproduce your results?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 06:30 
Editors
Editors

if you bind a higher FOV to a key you can make it Hor+

I'd like to see screenshots demonstrating this. Would you mind posting some, and instructions on how to reproduce your results?

I suppose so, but all the information is here in our forums on some of the other borderlands threads as that is where I learned how to do it.

Default FOV is like 75 or so.

Here are some comparison shots

FOV 90 1920x1200

FOV 140 1920x1200

FOV 90 5760x1200

FOV 140 5760x1200

ESC Key main menu zoomed/cropped

Tab menu OK

I found that 90-100FOV was the best to settle with, 140ish that you would normally use for TH resolutions would actually make the screen invert when you run due to the FOV boost and made those negative fov effects I talked about much worse.

I did a double binding, used my forward key to set say FOV 100 and then my shift key to set FOV 90 so when I run the FOV would stay about the same.

Still no matter what I think its too much trouble and too broken for TH, but the 90-100FOV range is good for a single screen.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 07:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Is it just me or does the weapon remain unaffected by the FOV change in the triplehead shots. This is very disappointing as I was hoping to get this game over the holidays.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next