Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 14:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 04:10 

Just started playing the beta. Wow.. is this game nice. Here's a couple shots I took with my camera.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 16:58 

Is this game legit though? It looks exactly like Bad Company 2.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 17:34 

Is this game legit though? It looks exactly like Bad Company 2.

Same engine, same DICE developing it.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 17:57 
Editors
Editors

It looks exactly like Bad Company 2.

x2 :doh

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 18:20 

:roll: I'm aware DICE developed it, hence why I'm accusing them of just re-releasing Bad Company 2.
Therefore, I reiterate my question, is the game legit, or is it Bad Company 2.1?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 19:13 

Well it does have similarities. But in my opinion they did change hit registration (for the better). But it might have been a mod if there were modtools for bfbc2 :p.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 19:18 

Hmm. I find it hard to justify pre-ordering for a beta spot if it's so similar. I might wait on a review on this one. Or if someone wants to give me their beta key, that works too. :rockout

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 19:53 

After watching some of the mp vids, I figured I was going to buy this. So I figured I pre order anyhow and start playing early.

Playing it, I don't really get that BC2 feel. Of course, maybe the close quarter combat is throwing me off. I haven't played MW 1 or 2 on the pc, only on Xbox LIVE. But I didn't really care for the close quarter combat in either of those. Of course I think a lot of that had to do with the melee marathon runners, the perks, and so on.

But I'm really liking the cq combat in MoH.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 17:59 

I got some time on the beta today since they opened it up to BC2 owners on steam... I can confirm it does run on my eyefinity setup as well at 5760x1080 perfectly. As for the gameplay: I had some fun with it, I won't lie, however the game has a good ways to go before October. In my opinion the combat in MoH plays far more like CoD4 or MW2 than it does BC2, however since MW2 was a travesty for PC this might not necessarily be a bad thing. It reminds me of a mixture between the chaotic combat of CoD4 and the tactics from BC2. My major complaints about the game are few... For one, everything about the game screams a CoD4 ripoff, however since it's been so long I guess they can get away with it. The "Combat Mission" mode does make thing a bit more tactical, however the "Team Attack" mode was absolute chaos. I enjoyed playing some combat mission but I'm not sure I $60 enjoyed it. The beta lacked voip control or text communication, but I'm sure that will come. Now, the places where MoH shines are here: The games damage is set so high that only one or two shots and you're down, and the hit boxes do appear to work a little better than BC2. This causes a lot of people to get raped if the even stand up or if they start running blindly. I found quickly that if I stayed behind cover, and actually worked tactically and intelligently, my KD ratio was owning face. MoH might actually be fun to play for some people because it forces you to stay in cover and not be an artard. I don't intend to pre-order, but it wasn't bad by any means either. I'd probably give the beta a 7.5/10.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 20:15 

I managed to snag a free beta key through Best Buy and played some of it. I dunno 'bout the hitbox since I never paid much attention to that. However, I do agree that it feels like you need to think first than to run around blindly. However, sometimes that blind running is part of the luck that gets you behind enemies.

Combat Mission is interesting but it's not interesting enough. If I wanted to play w/ more tactics, then BC2 is the game for me.

Team Assault (aka TDM) is just as you said, chaotic. But perhaps a downside is the majority of the stuff on that one particular map is static and not destroyable. That's a bit of a letdown but perhaps it is to offset the chaos that comes with the game mode.

The weapons feel okay but I haven't really tried everything it has to offer. The game is only good for a quick few rounds or so and that's it. I cannot really see myself spending 50-60 bucks for it, nor do I feel it's worth pre-ordering. I may nab it if it happens to go on sale for half-off or some other promotional deal.

Yep, chat system is borked. I tried to say something but unfortunately I got stuck w/ that text prompt for the rest of the map. Nobody killed me while I was in it so I dunno if that would fix it. Ugh. Some of the keybinds are also weird as well. The game option says the '1' key is for Pistol and yet when I press it, nothing happens. Pressing 2 seems to swap between primary and pistol where 3 swaps between gadget/explosive and primary.

The "score chain" idea is interesting and is a nicer take to the whole "kill streak" idea, giving players an offensive and defensive perk that can be enabled. The most minimal, a 40 score chain, can be had in either 3 or 4 kills, depending on situation. The highest I have ever got up to is the 3rd score chain but I never manage to finish using it.

This is the casual FPS game that PC players are looking for, if they're getting tired of CoD4 and all that. One has to wonder just how the whole dedicated servers thing will play out. Since it's got a ranking system, no doubt the ranked files will be restricted and locked away. PunkBuster is a plus and PBBans has already mentioned streaming support come launch. But like BC2 before it, one has to wonder if that's all we'll get for it. PB screenshot is still borked and I don't think anyone has asked if there will be any kind of demo-recording system in place. (Then again, I don't visit the MoH forums on EA UK.)