Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 15:40 

More of your privacy, out the window.

Knee-jerk reaction. Fact is, privacy on the Internet is an illusion. It can't go out the window, because it doesn't really exist. Remember that idiot who posted a bomb threat on 4chan and got arrested shortly after? He used public channels to broadcast information, and you can't do that and expect entitlement to privacy.

Exactly.

And frankly finding and punishing pirates is a hell of a lot better solution than punishing paying customers with DRM. The government should never regulate or block the internet in the strictest sense, but arresting people based on evidence witnessed on the internet is fine and dandy with me.

Though I guess I would have to stop torrenting foreign TV shows instead of waiting for a US release on DVD.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 19:35 

privacy on the internet is not an illusion it's just "limited" as is privacy in real life by the way

the bomb threat was probably immediately taken on by national security which meant sped up legal processes to get back IPs & all that
maybe he was even suspected before, we'll never know ...

when you type directly an exact url in the target of your browser only you & any intermediate servers sees the traffic + any additional server providing content for that website.

mr X from his computer will see nothing nor does he have the ability to watch this particular traffic

I'm all for the police to get pirates under arrest & having appropriate fines & punishment (I don't believe an adolescent downloading a couple of copyrighted material should be harshly sued for example but a repeated offender should)
that said this needs serious investigation to back this up, and the way I see this heading is not the right way :
fining everyone en mass without any consideration to who's behind the computer, forcing unknowledgeable people to secure their connection without even providing a way to do said securisation... hell having an unsecure internet connection or computer will also be illegal sooner or later ...

And you know what ?
I think information agencies are probably behind some of the push, since we know that botnets are currently a serious threat available to organized crime. a good way to counter those is to force everyone to go "secure" ....