Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad state of gamers.
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 23:35 

Anybody here that checks out Gamespot (like myself) has probably seen the "Greatest Villain Ever" contest that is currently going on. And for the most part the people that should be winning are and those that aren't that evil are losing. But there are a few key villains who just aren't getting the love they should be.

BUT, the villain who is losing to a Mortal Kombat character is...............

Irenicus...

Yep. He is losing to Shao Khan (Shere Khan anyone?). A character that has basic depth and can be beaten by simply pressing the same buttons over again is losing to one of the evilest of villains of all time.

/sigh

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

Post subject: Re: Sad state of gamers.
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 00:59 

I don't recognize the legitimacy of any game-villain list without Gary Smith.

EDIT - Also no Joker.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 10:46 

Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?

I don't know... was Irenicus really that good a villain? Wasn't all bad, sure. But Shao Khan, well, lots of people had trouble with him I suppose, and he's appeared in severak MK games afaik.

Do tell me the guy from Half Life 2 is somewhere on top? What was his name again? Oh yes, Dr. Breen (right?).

However, if the list doesn't contain General Zelgius all the way up there, it's of no value indeed. Gotta be one of my favourites.

Edit: btw, the Joker IS in the list. Up against Donkey Kong now.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 17:58 
Editors
Editors

Thing is, someone that is evil by being quiet, manipulative and overall fairly unassuming while scheming away in the background is never going to have the same impact for anyone as someone who is "in your face" I'm-going-to-blow-up-the-universe evil.

It's one of my gripes about "good or evil" choices in RPGs - the good choices make you seem like some do-gooding-tree-hugger, while the evil choices make you seem like some petty-street-thug. The number of times I've chosen the 'good guy' replies in RPGs when I'm trying to play the manipulative villain only to get "good guy" points for it is depressing. :lol:

If only for the fun I really need to try making a sprite based RPG that gives a decent level of depth for what routes you can take...

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 19:25 

Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?

FTFY

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 19:33 
Administrators
Administrators

Was LeChuck on the list? Hes the only villain who's name I can remember, oh, come to think about it Gannon, Bouser, Eggman (Dr Gerald Robotnik to give him his full name) then there is Kane... err (looks at my game boxes) nope I'm out.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 22:53 

Thing is, someone that is evil by being quiet, manipulative and overall fairly unassuming while scheming away in the background is never going to have the same impact for anyone as someone who is "in your face" I'm-going-to-blow-up-the-universe evil.

It's one of my gripes about "good or evil" choices in RPGs - the good choices make you seem like some do-gooding-tree-hugger, while the evil choices make you seem like some petty-street-thug. The number of times I've chosen the 'good guy' replies in RPGs when I'm trying to play the manipulative villain only to get "good guy" points for it is depressing. :lol:

If only for the fun I really need to try making a sprite based RPG that gives a decent level of depth for what routes you can take...

I agree. It's always impossible to play that type of evil because it gets you so many 'good' points. Plus there will usually be no opportunity to complete your scheme, hence you're actually just a good ol' tree hugger in the whole game.

[quote]Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?

FTFY
Hmmm? That's what I said, isn't it? :roll:

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 23:18 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote][quote]Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?

FTFY
Posted: 04/Sep/2010 21:53:56

Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?...

Edited:
Last edited by X-Warrior on 04/Sep/2010 21:49:37, edited 1 time in tota

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 23:26 

The Joker may be a comic book villain, but I consider him to be one of the better movie villains in the last decade, so why not consider him a video game villain as well?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 00:44 

[quote][quote]Technically the Joker would be a comic book villain who happens to make an appearance in games as well. Or do they simply count?

FTFY

:wink: