Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 09:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 10:57 
Editors
Editors

By following the angle they are, they are going the route where the next logical step is killing off modding of PC games.

Joy - they can screw us with DLC even more...

What happened to that ruling that EULAs were non-enforceable?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 13:20 

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/sroosa/software-license-agreement-takes-it-chin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc. This is VERY relative to the Blizzhackers case. (though nothing to do with EULAs specifically.)

Blizzard has actually won on these grounds before against MDY Industries, LLC. whom was creating and selling World of Warcraft automation tools (basically doing the boring parts of the game like slowly gaining levels while you're sleeping etc.)
http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/Complaint1.pdf

Here's the full Document for the recent filing from Blizzard.
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/cacdce/8:2010cv01495/483953/1/

Another funny (read: sickening) note is that one of the guys they are targeting, "linuxisawesome" his hack does not even touch SC2's memory (unlike all of the other hacks which only do that.) His hack is simply a packet sniffer (ala something like WinPCap or Etheral) which then can be used to recreate the playing field to see the enemies units and position (This stuff is sent across the wire at all times for in game replay recording.)

Oh and blizzard was sending out C&D and [badly written] DMCA notices some months ago.
http://i56.tinypic.com/30vzukg.jpg

The site that I moderate at filed a counter-notification and hasn't heard anything back from them... Aside from the sueing of some of our members of course.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 20:13 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here

I'm not "getting at" anything. I'm flat-out saying it. You seemed to think there was something amusingly ironic about two unrelated and non-contradictory facts. I said:
There's no irony here.
And then explained why it was actually not ironic.

Also, I don't see what any of those links have to with EULA enforcement. DMCA violation, Terms of Service violation, and EULA enforcement are all different things.

Another funny (read: sickening) note is that one of the guys they are targeting, "linuxisawesome" his hack does not even touch SC2's memory (unlike all of the other hacks which only do that.) His hack is simply a packet sniffer (ala something like WinPCap or Etheral) which then can be used to recreate the playing field to see the enemies units and position (This stuff is sent across the wire at all times for in game replay recording.)

Does it really matter how the hack actually works? It's still cheating, and still harms Battle.net, so I don't see how Blizzard has less of a right to complain.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 21:49 
Editors
Editors

By following the angle they are, they are going the route where the next logical step is killing off modding of PC games.

No surprise that Activision is already doing the full-court press on mod killing with the CoD series. Others will follow suit.

Well, here in the US the crazy 9th Circuit just ruled that EULAs are pretty much binding on whatever they say:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/

I really hope the Supreme Court injects some counterweight into that case...

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 05:07 

Does it really matter how the hack actually works? It's still cheating, and still harms Battle.net, so I don't see how Blizzard has less of a right to complain.

Of course, this is all about HOW they are complaining though. I have nothing against them wanting to protect their game, I do dislike how they are calling this copywrite infringement though.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 07:23 

I don't really care what happens to multiplayer cheaters, but as said calling it copyright infringement sets a terrible precedent on top of one they already set with those WoW hacks they sued over. That sucker is still in appeal waiting for a common sense judge.

And as much as it seems related to the singleplayer banning issue it's not really. I don't care about banning people from battlenet or suing hackers, I only care about the fact that a ban from battlenet includes a ban from the singleplayer game, which is disgusting to me and I can't believe people defend it.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 19:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Is someone defending that? I seem to be the only one in this topic defending Blizzard for doing anything at all, and I definitely do not approve of banning people from singleplayer mode. Permanently disabling achievements and other meta-rewards seems like a pretty good idea, though.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 04:52 

Is someone defending that? I seem to be the only one in this topic defending Blizzard for doing anything at all, and I definitely do not approve of banning people from singleplayer mode. Permanently disabling achievements and other meta-rewards seems like a pretty good idea, though.

Not here, but many people are. Same with people who defend Valve for everything they could ever possibly do, some people are fanboys. It's one of the reasons Valve and Blizzard go to such lengths to do "good guy things" from time to time, to cultivate that sort of auto-defense.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 06:02 

I think we're more or less all on the same page. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points please.

We are all against getting a singleplayer ban what so ever.
We are all against getting a multiplayer ban for cheating in singleplayer.
We are all for Blizzard stopping multiplayer cheating.
We are all against HOW Blizzard is stopping multiplayer cheating (Saying that these applications somehow infringe on their copyright.)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 16:16 

We are all against getting a multiplayer ban for cheating in singleplayer.

Well, if Blizzard say they can't tell whether your hack was used only for singleplayer or not I can't really scream at them for disabling multiplayer with any kind of cheat program detected while you're signed-in to battle.net. I mean, there is probably a better way but I can't flip out about it. My sole problem really is a battle.net ban meaning you can't activate the game, it should be seperate like Steam and VAC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next