Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 18:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 07:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Mass Effect 3 is going to be $60 too. Combine that with $30-40 in DLC and you are looking at up to $100 USD for the latest Bioware games. I'll wait on the all-inclusive ultimate editions on sale. And if that doesn't happen, I may not buy it at all.

I posted a rant on another forum...
Well, if it's anything like the Dragon Age 2 launch... it'll be $60, you will pay extra for release day DLC if you want it on Steam, and you'll have to pre-order months beforehand to get the release day DLC. And if it's anything like Mass Effect 1-2, there will be plot threads started, rehashed, but that only get resolved in paid DLC (Shadow Broker; or not resolved in Witch Hunt's case).

I love Bioware's games, but with EA controlling them they are really working your wallet over. They are releasing games with the intention of having DLC costs take the "complete" game to over $100. I'll definitely wait for an all inclusive version for Dragon Age 2 on sale, and maybe even for Mass Effect... if they release one. They may decide to force you to buy DLC piecemeal and for full price now that they've gotten gamers used to it. Time will tell. I think we'd all benefit if devs didn't have monolithic publishers like Activision and EA, and instead took the risk of self-publishing. A studio like Bioware has a pretty reliable source of repeat buyers for their releases, combined with an actual pre-order should help fund the dev cycle. Smaller studios would work off of games like Magicka to increase their prestige until they can bankroll a triple-A game.

All the publishers and dev studios got to where they were today from a much smaller user base, using more costly tools (you usually had to roll your own engine back in the day, and seamless integration with content creation programs was not available), as well not having solid API's to work with (gotta figure out physics and things like speedtree by yourself, and handle code paths for OpenGL AND Direct3D, AND Glide). Yet today with full engines available, full APIs available, faster and cheaper hardware, content generation programs available, more trained workers available (there are colleges that teach game programming these days) and a larger userbase buying their products, and options for low cost self publishing (Steam, bandwidth is cheap if you want to do your own Direct Download)... they can no longer make a profit?

Something is funny with games these days.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 15:09 
Editors
Editors

Yup, I was looking forward to Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 etc... but if prices are going up, I won't be buying them on release day. Looks like my game purchasing will be focussed purely on the times Steam is doing a sale... ;)

Although Witcher 2 and Dawn of War 2: Retribution I'll probably bite on shortly after their release. Or maybe not. Haven't decided.

As for Blizzard... chances of me buying Diablo 3 at more than a tenner is slim to nil.

I guess I'll be waiting for the 'Ultimate Editions'...

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 16:49 

Agree with what was said already. Not paying. And will wait.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 17:51 

As for Blizzard... chances of me buying Diablo 3 at more than a tenner is slim to nil.

Knowing Blizzard you will have to wait 10 years before it's at that price. Then you will want to buy both expansions. :roll:

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 18:27 
Editors
Editors

[quote]As for Blizzard... chances of me buying Diablo 3 at more than a tenner is slim to nil.

Knowing Blizzard you will have to wait 10 years before it's at that price. Then you will want to buy both expansions. :roll:
Knowing Blizzard, 10 years from now they *might* be ready to release Diablo IV or Starcraft III along with their evil overlord's CODBLOPSMW 16.

I'll prophesy my reaction: meh.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 03:51 

Usually PC games in the UK are around £30 or less, which is about 47 USD according to google, which I don't mind paying.

Although I do have Dragon Age on Pre-order for just under $40 atm :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 16:47 
Editors
Editors

Highstreet prices are now £35-40 for PC games. We were spoiled for a few years with Amazon and Play getting really good at having low prices, that even they've been going up in recent years.

And I'm sure I got Warcraft 3 in a kind of 'best of' line for a tenner when it was four years old. I had to, as I let a friend borrow my copy of Warcraft 3, and he "lost" it - he still had the case, but the manual (and therefore CD Key) and disc were AWOL. Got Starcraft the same way IIRC.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 17:57 

I'd say most games are still obtainable for £30, if not cheaper.

Although PC games generally do have a lack of sales.
And pretty much all the PC sections in retail have dissappeared near me.

I mean a granger games store just opened near me. It has 8 PC games. 8! Thats total, not titles.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 20:56 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't really care.

If it's a game that I absolutely want to play, then I'm going to buy it whether it's $40, $50, or $60 (or even more).

If it's not that important of a game and I can wait to play it, then I'll just wait until it's on sale or something.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 18:49 

Oh don't you worry about $60 games. Out here those games are €60. Which at the current rates translates to $81.69.

€50 ($68) has been normal for years until recently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next