Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 08:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DIRT 3
PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 17:58 

OK, so.. as much as i despise the fact that these wankers took Colin McRae out of the title, the actual game turns out to be not too bad. Wide Screen setup is spot on, ( although it took me 2 times to figure out that to save the setting I wanted I had to back out 2 screens, then save then go back in a mess around. ) On my 6950 ( w/6970 shader hack ), I was able to get most all settings to ultra ( mirrors and reflections are at high) with no AA enabled, using the new 11.5b catalyst release i was able to get 32-54fps. No over clocking, just the 20% over, power up.

Control for my esoteric Steel series 3GC dual vibration was instant and it even used the analogue steering/throttle setup, none of this ' shift 2 digital only, floating around like a boffin' crap.

Still don't like CM for getting dropping Colin, but the game is solid as far as i can see from the first race segment. I don't play driving games online, until they can figure out a way to get rid of the ' I'm loosing so I'll be a pratt and crash everyone out' users then it's useless.

Oh, DX11.. finally !

Post subject: Re: DIRT 3
PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 07:45 

I think the default setting in Dirt 2 online was always "ghosting" i.e. no crashing. You'd just pass right through their car. Whereas Shift2 has some REALLY weird crash dynamics that tend to advantage the "annoying idiots that just want to crash" over the people that actually brake BEFORE turning. Hence I enjoyed playing Dirt 2 online A LOT, and quickly got annoyed at Shift2 online and tended to make it only C/B class races to try to reduce the no. of idiots.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 13:40 
Insiders
Insiders

DiRT3 is fun, same as previous DiRTs were. I purchased this game two days ago. Yesterday evening practised at Gymkhana. In races there's no room for mistakes. Awesome and addicting.
"annoying idiots that just want to crash" over the people that actually brake BEFORE turning
Right, that's annoying. Driving with style avoiding crashes at sharp turns is art.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro | i7 2600K @4.5GHz Watercooled | 16GB Corsair @1600mhz | ATI 6970 2GB Watercooled | 64GB Crucial C300 SSD | Corsair 1200W AX PSU | 3x Samsung SyncMaster 2443 24" 3600x1920 | Microsoft Sidewinder X8 | Win7 Ultimate x64

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 17:21 

DiRT3 is fun, same as previous DiRTs were. I purchased this game two days ago. Yesterday evening practised at Gymkhana. In races there's no room for mistakes. Awesome and addicting.
"annoying idiots that just want to crash" over the people that actually brake BEFORE turning
Right, that's annoying. Driving with style avoiding crashes at sharp turns is art.

Not sure I understand your post correctly, but have you played Shift2 open class online?

Someone always picks the $2 million dollar fastest car in the game and will purely race around the course to HIT everyone in the ass. This then sends the car in front into an unrecoverable spin, while they don't even get slowed down. So... until you get through the first 3 corners you have to be extremely wary of retards and it's basically advantageous to start at the back and just stroll right through a pack of 6 cars that have all spun out on the first corner due to the 1 dick.

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 18:30 
Insiders
Insiders

have you played Shift2 open class online?

Offline only. However I remember that even AI made me such pranks. It was hard to get to reasonable position afterwards. Online must be much worse.

To all: Do you keep assists or turn them off in DiRT3? I like raw control. Almost no flashbacks used.
DiRT3 crashes from time to time.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro | i7 2600K @4.5GHz Watercooled | 16GB Corsair @1600mhz | ATI 6970 2GB Watercooled | 64GB Crucial C300 SSD | Corsair 1200W AX PSU | 3x Samsung SyncMaster 2443 24" 3600x1920 | Microsoft Sidewinder X8 | Win7 Ultimate x64

PostPosted: 29 May 2011, 10:28 
Insiders
Insiders

So would it be worth me, liking the first two games, getting dirt 3?

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 06:56 

.. well I spoke too soon regarding the finish of the game, seems unless you ahve one of the few controllers in the data base your SOL on saving your config. There is a work around but I have yet to get it to work. Luckily I have a lame old LG dual action that happens to be included in the database.

I dislike the lack of ability to move aroudn freely to pick from a few events. even at the higher level your limited to training or 1 or 2 events but you MUST follow the path, DIRT 1 was much better, speaking of which , DIRT 1 had more cars and more tracks as well as variations like big rig hill climbs.. I'm on season 4 and I've seen all the tracks many times over now.. there may be one or two I have yet to see but overall I am REALLY bored with the lack of ability to choose my path. Cars are severely limited and unless your willing to pay what amounts to a $100 game adding in the 'vip' pass code costs, your car selection is about the same as you'd get from an add on pack. Tuning is quite a joke, why would you make a relatively realistic driving SIM but give it Wii level tuning systems..

So good game when compared to the last year or so of driving game offerings but when looked at as a standalone, it is still no where near as good as the original and like so many other franchises they have dumbed down and reduced content in order to feed the console zombies.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 11:16 
Insiders
Insiders

DiRT3 does not remember control settings of my Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP! Does not crash any more after a patch, which threatened me with something like this: "if you ignore this patch, you will not be able to save your game progress". Nice! :evil:
BTW, here is bad looking but very stable repair of the wheel, which broke two years ago. I am practical man, will not buy a new wheel for just a rapture :)

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 12:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I recall reading elsewhere that if you hit a button on your wheel at the first menu that it will not reset the controls, but it WILL if you hit a keyboard key. Or something like that. In any case, I did read of someone that had the same issue, and figured out a fix. Have you tried just making the configuration file read-only? Or perhaps set it up, back up the file, adn bind a rename/replacement .bat fiel to a keyboard shortcut or something, perhaps letting you do it from in-game.

Though I figured a pitch would have fixed the problem. Pricks.

Way to Frankenstein your wheel. Even has bolts stick out of it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 13:23 
Insiders
Insiders

I recall reading elsewhere that if you hit a button on your wheel at the first menu that it will not reset the controls, but it WILL if you hit a keyboard key. Or something like that. In any case, I did read of someone that had the same issue, and figured out a fix. Have you tried just making the configuration file read-only? Or perhaps set it up, back up the file, adn bind a rename/replacement .bat fiel to a keyboard shortcut or something, perhaps letting you do it from in-game.
Unfortunately the game does not react at all when using Logitech WingMan Formula. Moreover, even with all wheel inputs set, ini file does not store them. The "input" tag has parameter "device_type" which is still set to AUTO. I tested another device, Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 and it works fine from the beginning plus appears on controller menu.
Bad luck. Shame on Codemasters, since Logitech WingMan Formula GP is still superior to many wheels.