Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 16:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2005, 05:48 

At least two people have said, "well the full game is better." Like I am going to spend 40 bucks on the off-chance that this is true. In my opinion, if I don't like the demo, I won't like the full game. And if the demo does not accurately portray what the full game will offer, then it has lost its purpose completely!

Also, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't happen to have an endless supply of money lying around to upgrade my system every time a more taxing game comes out. The argument that "well you should just upgrade" is much easier said than done. For gamers of any level, staying on the bleeding edge gets really expensive, really fast. And call me crazy but I don't think spending $3000+ a year on gaming hardware is a very sane practice, nomatter how much money you have.

All this has pushed me to play classic games more and more. They are inexpensive, run incredibly fast on recent hardware, and are often just as much (or more) fun to play. Retro gaming is where it's at. ;)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2005, 14:36 

yes i also play PONG on my system

i doent lag (i am so glade)

but MRs Pacman does kinda studer a bit i also line to play Defender and Missle Command but they are memory hogs so i dont play them too much

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2005, 15:28 

yes i also play PONG on my system

i doent lag (i am so glade)

but MRs Pacman does kinda studer a bit i also line to play Defender and Missle Command but they are memory hogs so i dont play them too much

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS do not read on because I mentioned some game experiences that may ruin your surprise toward end of game......

Captain Valor, seriously the FEAR retail game is the best first person shooter to come down the road in years. Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 do not even rate in the same category as FEAR, thats the honest truth!!!!!! The DEMO does none, absolutely zero justice to this game, ZERO. You are missing out by not having a computer system able to play this FEAR game, it rocks! I agree with you, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME if you do not have the computer to run it.

Absolutely you need a high end system to enjoy the full benefits of this game. My system is two years old now, but I always, always try to get at least a good video card.

FARCRY was a wake up call to computer gaming freaks to UPDATE their computer hardware. Then Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 came out and you either had the computer beef to run these games or you didn't.

Don't get left behind, find a part time job, something to get extra money to upgrade your computer. The computer gaming world is amazing right now with what they are doing to the games. Direct X 10 is right around the corner.

Also a game coming up to blow people away is Elder Scrolls OBLIVION which is using a new engine that is gonna amaze people away with high end systems. You just don't know what you are missing if you don't have the money to buy a decent computer gaming system. I wish it were otherwise and EVERYONE had a high end computer system to enjoy the technology, it doesnt seem fair but I am not Bill Gates, I wish I could help you fellow gaming brother.

There were FOUR instances in this FEAR game that really blew me away.
1. Enemy AI
2. The ghost demons toward end of game
3. An explosion that blew me back fifty feet and propelled me into the water.
4. The water bubble thingy and the ending nuclear explosion that you found yourself in which was not a cut-scene, not talking about the helicopter ride, you could move around and do things and there you are trapped and just waiting for that nuclear shockwave and debris coming at you. AWESOME, that was a first ever experience for me in any PC game.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2005, 19:48 
Founder
Founder

F.E.A.R. is MARVELOUSLY FANTASTIC - PERIOD.

It is a hybrid cross between the GOTY Deus Ex, HL2 & DOOM 3.

While I'm NOT complaining, I would not have minded at all, a few side skill missions & hacking thrown in like in D.E.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2005, 16:49 

But you guys gotta admit that CaptainValor has a point: a demo is... a demo and should give you the accurate feel of the game. If not, then what is the point of having the demo out??? Especially if you consider that games aren't getting cheaper and very few feel like risking $55 on a title. Unfortunately, this is not a case any more. Most often it worked the other way for me: the demo kicked ass and the final game sucked painfully. I don't remember but I think Unreal II was the most prominent case of that.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2005, 17:14 
Founder
Founder

RE: ..."a demo and should give you the accurate feel of the game."

Quite so, however, it looks like game demos are going the way of movie trailers. In some cases they have scenes gut from the movie! Or in the worst - they are packed full of action sequences & when you see the movie - that's all the action scenes there were!!

SO I read reviews & word of mouth before I choose a Video OR a GAME.

From the opinions expressed here when it comes to F.E.A.R. indeed --

BUY IT

FEAR demo ran like shite on my system & the full game ran like FANTASTIC.

BTW - heed these FEAR DON'TS :lol:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1786

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2005, 10:21 
Editors
Editors

Or don't heed the FEAR Don'ts, and have a far more thrilling experience... ;)

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005, 09:21 

great game, bought it the day it came out, sadly my store didnt get the DVD.
Man this is a great looking game and scary. I couldnt play it at native res with
all the goods so i play it at 1024x768 maxed out 4aa max af. Its great this and COD2 keep me away from WoW and BF2 for awhile. A must buy and MP is different.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2005, 03:26 

I bought the game, played it so far to interval 6 and struggle to continue on as it is uninspiring to say the least. Now HL2 on the other hand. Third time playing that through. Graphics are close, runs smoother, wide variation of environments, varied game play, better NPC's and interactions, includes CSS. I got sucked in again by the hype. FEAR is a good game with awesome AI and nice graphics. HL2 though has alot more to offer, richer storyline. I find fear very repetative,all dark, tight quarters, in offices. When there is a view of outside it looks like a painting or something. The full version after the latest patch does seem to run smoother.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2005, 18:51 

I find FEAR very repetative,all dark, tight quarters, in offices.

Yes it is quite repetitive isn't it. It reminded me of DIE HARD 2, felt like I was forever inside a tall office building which I was. But this makes for some interesting combat tactics which was there intent.

HL2 offered more variety agreed.