Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 13:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006, 15:02 
Founder
Founder

"...imagine Gordon with a lightsaber...

or the sword from Deus Ex IW ??

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006, 17:37 

I'd be very wary about publishers adopting this model. It's basically the same tactics used by drug dealers and cigarette companies. Get them hooked.... then milk them for as much as we can! I can easily see a situation where valve start releasing a couple of hours of gameplay at a time, each unit increasing in cost as people get more into the game and less willing to not see it though. How will you feel if half life 3 ends up costing $400 via several $20 "episodes" (don't worry, the 'final' chapter will cost you double or triple). It may well be an amazing game, but I'd like to eat and pay my rent too.

I for one won't be buying any episodic games to avoid this trap. It vastly limits the market as well, fewer people will start playing games as most people won't want to get into some open ended venture where they won't have any idea of the total cost.

It could go the other way of course - with reasonable prices and a full game costing no more than it does now, simply lowering the entry barrier for a game and increasing the numbers gaming whilst decreasing piracy. However I've far too little faith in people. I think they'll go for the fast buck no matter how much it alienates the customers in the long run.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006, 17:58 
Founder
Founder

RE: "I'd be very wary about publishers adopting this model. It's basically the same tactics used by drug dealers and cigarette companies. Get them hooked....

Well ...

They then must be at least involved into forcing us to upgrade GFX cards every year :evil: :evil:

" Wanna see ALL the game goodies kiddies ...

- then you have to buy a new GFX card" :twisted:

I wonder how long it will take to play these episodes??
Is each one then 1 new level??
Will we have to suffer though many patches for each?? :roll:

Although it is sort of like the expansion pack idea.

The episode way, the developers won't have their money invested for years with no return, as in a full new version of the game - they increment it out & get a faster return for their investment.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006, 18:33 

Although it is sort of like the expansion pack idea.

Not really, right now if I buy a game I can expect it to be a complete product, with a reasonable amount of entertainment for my money. If the game involves a plot, I can expect some sort of conclusion when I reach the end.

If I take movies as a metaphor an addon pack is a the equavalent of a book set in the same universe. I can perfectly well enjoy the main product without it, I if want some more, I can buy the addon. The customer is in control.

Episodic games is more like a film being advertised as "50c a ticket!" by my local movie theater, except 2 scenes in the house lights come up and the manager demands another $5 to turn the projector back on. By the end the movie has cost me $50. Control is in the hands of the publisers and I end up paying much more for my entertainment than I expected.

The episode way, the developers won't have their money invested for years with no return, as in a full new version of the game - they increment it out & get a faster return for their investment.

True, they should actually get a bigger return, but this isn't necessarily good for the customer. $20 for an episode via digital distribution is probably just a much as a game developer gets for a full game sale via traditional distribution. It dramatically alters the value proposition for the customer. If all this extra money goes into making a better game then all well and good, but I fear dev teams being cut back to maximise profit once they've made a few good episodes (particularly if big corporate publishers go this route) is the more likely scenario.

Digital distribution (the only really viable way for episodic content) also means I wouldn't be buying a copy of the game, just the right to play it. With traditonal distribution I can sell or trade in my copy once I've finished with it. I can't do this with the usename/password I get with steam.

Even if the price is reasonable, should an episodic game peter out into medocrity it'll leave me feeling pretty pissed off at having bought into it. With the current model reviews can give you an idea of whether or not to buy a game. An episodic model will make it much harder to find out if a game is good or not without buying into it.

One way to avoid this would be for developers to make each episode self contained (like a tv-series episode) but have certain themes carry on through. However part of the reason I like modern computer games is the feeling of being part of a large overarching story which is told in a cinematic style. Gaming will lose somthing if these epic plots are dropped for something akin to 30 minute "quick fixes".

There, that feels much better, I'll shut up now :-)