Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 21:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Call of Duty 4 Demo
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 16:30 

the call of duty 4 Demo is out havent checked if its hor+ yet but it has native support

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 20:06 

VERY disappointed with the demo ... Had all settings on max except for AA and it just didn't look very good. Picture quality seemed slightly washed out even after tweaking the in-game brightness setting. Widescreen had that zoomed in feel that Bioshock had, though I haven't confirmed if this is in fact the case. Gameplay was exactly the same as the previous games ... I really liked Call of Duty 2, but I might be done with the series for now.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 20:56 

I changed my FOV from default 65 to 85 which improves it a little, the command was something like "seta cg_fov xx" but if you just type fov in the console it seems to list every viable code with those letters which is nice.

***EDIT***

I might nock mine down to 80 to see how it looks.

*END*EDIT*

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 21:24 

I can’t really test the difference between 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 as the monitor I have these days is maxed at 1680x1050.

So I just took a couple of shots at different fov’s.

FOV 65
FOV 75
FOV 85

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 05:33 

85 looks to be about right. At 65 the scope seems almost pressed against the screen.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 06:05 

Wow After playing the demo, i can say if the single player will offer at least 8 hours of game play im sold, its in the running for GotY from me, simply amazing.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 07:04 

Wow After playing the demo, i can say if the single player will offer at least 8 hours of game play im sold, its in the running for GotY from me, simply amazing.

GotY? Man, I must have got the wrong demo!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 10:48 

I really thought that is was an intense game. It looked pretty slick to me, to. I think I will be buying it, even if the full single player falls through, the multiplayer will be fun.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 17:34 

I've just played the demo, very nice game, really looking forward to it. For kicks I tried the lowest difficulty then Veteran right after to see how dramatically different it was. Just like CoD2's variance of levels it goes from run and gun to slow and methodical. Veteran really makes you think about position, suppression, and timing your move to the next cover. It actually seems a bit harder than CoD2 though due to the limited vision and lots of smoke, at least this night time demo map anyway. It always gets easier after you've played it a few times and know what to expect though. From the screenshots I've seen the daytime look is going to be spectacular.

I thought at first the rush of enemies with RPGs near the tank firing at you was a bit odd, but it's really not much different than how CoD2 targets mostly the player. I have to think the RPG guys wouldn't have rushed in so close though, clearly that was for dramatic effect and added challenge. I actually started respecting that it's a worthy challenge to outwit though, being as it's just a game, and much like WiCoPP's Reality 2.8 mod for CoD2 where he added Panzerschreck troops. I also found once you pick the right spot during the defend the tank segment it was quite easy even on Veteran.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Dragunov and before joining up with my squad to head outside after taking the first building I holed up in the second floor and popped loads of enemies with it near where you pick up the Javelin. Anyone that loves sniping should like the power of the Dragunov in this game and the realistic gore effects as it renders it's victims defenseless. One thing that struck me odd is the smoke trail the Javelin leaves. It appears to take flight above then downward at the target but the smoke trail disappears just above the target then the missile explodes the tank several seconds later. This is not how real Javelin missiles operate, there's no delayed effect and I don't think they're typically used at such short distances. It's a weapon that has a range of 2500m, about a mile and a half.

Just for kicks, take a look at this video of a real Javelin destroying a tank. Those with the job of manning tanks must be a lot less comfortable knowing this weapon exists. This is one hot weapon and far better than the Zeus in GRAW even if the animation is a bit off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792WRxXXr7U

I would say this is far more than a simplified version of GRAW, in fact I much prefer it and not just for the smoother more PC quality character movement. Just about everything about it is better including the friendly AI, they're so nice. Seriously though I mean they don't seem to botch your every position by standing in front of you or bumping you while shooting. The voice acting didn't seem all that great sometimes but I can live with a bit of that. I almost cried when I heard no more WWII games from IW, at least not for a while it seems. This has me thinking I not only won't miss it but I'll be busy having fun, perhaps more so, with the "Modern Warfare."

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 20:58 

I have to think the RPG guys wouldn't have rushed in so close though, clearly that was for dramatic effect and added challenge.

I could be misunderstanding you, but i think the rushing in of the rpg guys was to make it possible to win, hence much, much easier rather than trying to tag an rpg'er quickly coming out of hiding and firing one in. I personally didn't appreciate that part of the demo, seemed like a shooting gallery rather than anything you would actually see outside of WWII/I, but even in WWII, people didn't just run up and stand there so you could shoot em, they would have dived to the ground for cover after advancing.

If i were designing the game, i would have had the squad keep an eye out for awhile, building up a little suspense with a few shouts from your AI teammates about seeing movement, then, after a few scripted shots, sending you and one other guy in to clear a building while the rest kept watch. Less is more in a lot of cases.

btw, this game plays very good at 2560x1600, no AA, everything else high with my 3800+ and 8800gtx.