Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Titan Quest
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 04:30 

i know i'm not going to try this one. :(

Such a shame. It's a good game. It hasn't made my PC go "boom"... at least not yet.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 07:59 
Editors
Editors

at least not yet.

I don't want to find out. :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 10:27 

Thats a shame some of you cant get this game to work, because it is absolutely awesome! I finished Normal difficulty with a total of three crash to desktops and one blue screen of death. Now its on to Epic difficulty.

Many people are having stability issues with this game. I did too, but they were few thank goodness.

Here's a tip, make a back up of your save game file, i hear alot of people are losing their character completely, it just vanishes.

If you're having problems playing the game... i highly recommend buying a computer that will play the game... ITS THAT GOOD

My specs: Pentium D 830 Dual Core, 2gig memory sticks, GeForce 7800 single video card

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2006, 18:37 
Editors
Editors

I can only pin this problem down to Titan Quest doing something. Similar to that Quake 4 patch that messed up widescreen monitors irreperably.

I had been playing HL2, Oblivion and Need for Speed: Most Wanted with everything right at max on all of them without issues just before installing TQ, I install Titan Quest and the comp goes down the crapper.

Unfortunately, it did it the night before I was flying to Germany for the week because of work. So I haven't had a chance to test it further. I'll have to rip out the graphics card from another comp to test whether it's the graphics card or the monitor.

If I can't return this POS game, I'll have a copy of Titan Quest (barely used, for about ten minutes) going free.

More news as/when anything happens.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 00:21 
Editors
Editors

I've just stated playing and patched the game and not had any errors.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm not happy to head that people are losing characters.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 12:01 
Editors
Editors

Well, it's good to hear you've not got problems, mate. :) Whether or not this was completely caused by Titan Quest, I'm seriously shy of this game now. I won't be trying it again...

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 12:57 
Editors
Editors

It's sad, because it is a decent game, but It makes me feel a little insecure about the faults found. I'll be a very unhappy man if I get anything wrong with my rig.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2006, 16:52 
Editors
Editors

Update:

whatever the cause, whether something else was failing, and Titain Quest just pushed it over the line, or whether the game genuinely FUBARed my comp, I've spent the afternoon testing the box out.

Monitor (Dell 2405FPW): I can't say how glad I am that this doesn't appear to be screwed. Dragged down a mates laptop with DVI and tested it out on that - no issues. Although my mate ain't chuffed that his laptop struggles with FEAR at 1920x1200. :lol: (The laptop's native res is 1680x1050...) Also works fine with temporary replacement for X1900XT, which is a 6800GS I had just "recommissioned" in my Vista box. Which is now in pieces again. I can't win. :lol: But this rig is more important.

No errors with 6800GS in the place of the X1900XT, although I can't say I'm too keen on the new nVidia control panel. It sucks, IMO. Much preferred the old layout. Why, oh why did you have to move toward the style of 'Catalyst Control Centre' with your drivers? Didn't you listen to all the people who hated the CCC?

X1900XT: FUBARed. DVI sync errors in BIOS, let alone in Windows, where any game will make it error in a minute or so. It'll do it in about ten minutes if I just leave it sitting at the desktop, too. I can't see anything physically wrong with the card, so I'm thinking that a potentially flaky TMDS chip had given up, or is in the process of doing so.

Looks like an RMA will be necessary.

And I can't say I'm too keen on having another of those heatmonsters in my system - temps have dropped by 5* ambient and 2* on the CPU by removing that beast of a VPU... maybe I'll sell the replacement and pick up a 7900GTX/7950...

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 01:40 

Well I'm glad you found the source of your problems. Sorry that your x1900 is dead. I still love my x1900xt, especially since I bought an aftermarket cooler. It runs cooler and 100x quieter.

Perhaps the video card overheated and damaged the core? Considering the graphically intense nature of TQ, perhaps it did just "push it over the edge" as you say.

Look on the bright side, it's still covered under warranty.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 01:41 

I've just stated playing and patched the game and not had any errors.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm not happy to head that people are losing characters.

This was addressed in the first patch. It shouldn't happen anymore. If you are really concerned with not losing your character, you can always backup the character files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next