Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 00:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual monitors
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2006, 01:42 
Founder
Founder

Best of luck, Pip!

Here is a small addition to the list of games that currently support dual monitors:

MS Flight Simulator 2004
StarTrek Amarda II
StarWarsGalaxies
Serious Sam - The Second Encounter
Sub Command

(small caveat - some of these games may require some tweaking and/or only be supported by matrox cards)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 08:52 

well still messing around with my stuff.
Monitors arrived yesterday, two GFX5500 cards arrived today.

Running the latest drivers of NVidia, yet this dual PCI card combination seems to be worse than a single AGP GFX5700.

WoW is very choppy...even while wow is running in window this screen where I am writing this is a bit laggy in response.

this is at running in 16800 x 1050

AGP card didnt display any of this.

So far only able to get WoW running on one monitor...

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 21:53 
Founder
Founder

Sorry if i missed something, but about your video cards - are you talking about old school PCI, or PCI-E? The FX5500 debuted around two years ago, and i'm not sure if it is up to running the latest titles at high resolutions.

If I was going to run dual monitors, i'd probably get a single, powerful card (like the one in my specs) with two DVI outs to run them. With Wow, you might want experiment a bit- try running the game at the lowest resolution and work your way up to see where the frames max out.

Star Wars Galaxies was one MMO I heard that supposed to be dual monitor friendly. Anyway, happy tweaking, thx for taking the time to experiment with this, i'm eager to hear how it turns out.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2006, 03:38 

nope you didnt miss anything. I'm running with an older motherboard so cannot get one of the latest PCI-E cards.

WoW and a few free online games are about all I play at the moment so not too worried.

Just a bit surprised that the performance was so bad with 2 cards.

Thanks again though for you input.

cheers

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2006, 13:17 

I used to have 2* Samsung 172x 17" screens :P

That specific model was advertised for the ultra-thin bezel, but it still was about 2,5 centimeters. It's kind of up to you if that's too much for using the screens in "horizontal span" mode (both displays doing the same game or movie or whatever) or not. Didn't bother me that much personally, though I'm not a huge FPS fan, I played Live For Speed and for that it was awesome. The wide picture with lots of mpix's let me see far more other cars than 1 display would.

I never had any kind of problem with the screens. Most games supported the dual-screen mode out of the box with full resolution (2560x1024). GTA: San Andreas being an exception. I never got it working (actually, if I recall correctly, that was the reason I joined WSGF!). Working games include HL2, Far Cry, Doom 3, GTA: Vice City, MS Flight Simulator, and virtually all older titles like RTC Wolfenstein.

I sold the screens recently though so no more dual display fun. Wanted a bigger screen you know. :P

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2006, 20:28 
Founder
Founder

That looks very cool Jupix. 8)

Those Samsung's are very slick. How did you enjoy your gaming experience on these monitors?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 10:50 

I enjoyed it very much. Like I said above, I mostly used the "horizontal span" for Live For Speed, Flight Simulator and all the Tycoon games. FPS's and all of the like with a crosshair were a bit problematic because you had to aim "between the bezels" but naturally you could get used to that because the bezels don't actually hide any pixels. So, usually I played Half-Life 2 and the like on one display and had all the chats etc. on the other so I never had to quit to check those for new messages. :P

Also, the 172x has a TN panel so it's very fast for its age, so no ghosting either. On the minus side it has a bit bland colors on factory settings (and as we all know NVIDIA drivers only allow color calibration for the primary display).

There were no faulty pixels either and no backlight bleeding. All in all, superb panels. A bit small though. :P

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 12:43 

(and as we all know NVIDIA drivers only allow color calibration for the primary display)

:shock: :shock: :shock: i have a dual monitor setup and a 6800GT since December 2005 and all, I mean all nvidia drivers I've ever tried allowed me to calibrate colour on both displays.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 13:01 

[quote] (and as we all know NVIDIA drivers only allow color calibration for the primary display)

:shock: :shock: :shock: i have a dual monitor setup and a 6800GT since December 2005 and all, I mean all nvidia drivers I've ever tried allowed me to calibrate colour on both displays.

That's strange, all driver versions I tried only gave me the changes on the primary display. And that's for both horizontal span and dual display modes. :?

I have a different card though. Does the 6800GT have 2 x DVI?