Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Jun 2024, 23:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasy XII for PC
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:27 

Ah, well, I rarely rent anything.

If I'm loathe to seperate with the cash for it new, I wait until it's cheaper. By that time, it's either £5 in Sainsbury's (in the case of CDs/DVDs), £10-20 (in the case of games) or I've lost interest. ;)

Same here, it was a friend who rented it (during my first year in uni- in halls) so we were looking for something that would actually play the disc.

I dont tend to buy many DVD films to be honest. I buy loads of Music DVD's, and ill get a film if i really want to see it, but ill usually wait till its on Sky.

If its cheap i cant resist though ;) (Hence why i have the Critters box set :lol: ).

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:39 
Editors
Editors

Same here, it was a friend who rented it (during my first year in uni- in halls) so we were looking for something that would actually play the disc.

I dont tend to buy many DVD films to be honest. I buy loads of Music DVD's, and ill get a film if i really want to see it, but ill usually wait till its on Sky.

If its cheap i cant resist though ;) (Hence why i have the Critters box set :lol: ).

Yeah. I just picked up...

Asterix (6 films)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (2nd series)
The A-Team (2nd series)

For less than £40. :)

I've bought a few music DVDs, but the ones I've got I tend to listen to a lot. You like AC/DC?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:43 

[quote]Same here, it was a friend who rented it (during my first year in uni- in halls) so we were looking for something that would actually play the disc.

Yeah. I just picked up...

Asterix (6 films)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (2nd series)
The A-Team (2nd series)

For less than £40. :)

I've bought a few music DVDs, but the ones I've got I tend to listen to a lot. You like AC/DC?

Bargain! Asterix 8) Havent seen that in years!

Im not a huge fan but i borrowed "Family Jewels" from a friend and quite enjoyed it :)

Im more into prog-rock style stuff, bought the new Pink Floyd DVD last week, ive been waiting for it to be released on DVD for years :) .

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:50 
Editors
Editors

Bargain! Asterix 8) Havent seen that in years!

I know. I've been waiting months for that to be released. Takes me back to more carefree days. ;) I've still got all my Asterix comics... I still read 'em when I'm feeling down. :)

Im not a huge fan but i borrowed "Family Jewels" from a friend and quite enjoyed it :)

Ah. I quite like the DVD 'Live at Donington'. That is a very cool concert. I mean, Hell's Bell? Yup. A giant inflatable Rosie? Yup. Cannons going off? Yup. Angus Young flashing the crowd in the middle of 'Jailbreak'? Yup. :lol:

Not got that much in the way of music DVDs, although I've got a few. Placebo, Metallica (S&M; it puts the album versions of the tracks played to shame...) a couple of others...

Im more into prog-rock style stuff, bought the new Pink Floyd DVD last week, ive been waiting for it to be released on DVD for years :) .

I never really got into Pink Floyd for some reason. A mate bought me The Wall last week, so I'll listen to that for a while. ;)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:58 

Ah. I quite like the DVD 'Live at Donington'. That is a very cool concert. I mean, Hell's Bell? Yup. A giant inflatable Rosie? Yup. Cannons going off? Yup. Angus Young flashing the crowd in the middle of 'Jailbreak'? Yup. :lol:

Not got that much in the way of music DVDs, although I've got a few. Placebo, Metallica (S&M; it puts the album versions of the tracks played to shame...) a couple of others...

Yeah ACDC know how to put on a show! :lol:

Im quite a music buff, most of my DVD's are music ones.. they just tend to have more re-play value for me than films.

I never really got into Pink Floyd for some reason. A mate bought me The Wall last week, so I'll listen to that for a while. ;)

Dark Side of the Moon is easily my favorite album of theirs, but the Division Bell is pretty awesome too. Theyre a lot easier to get into than the Wall (i find it pretty heavy going, im not a fan of 2cd albums unless theyre live ones!).

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 22:36 

FF 7 was one of the best games ever made. FF 8 was great, and it's been a steady downhill fall from those days if you ask me.
I'm looking forward to that FF 3 remake for DS

EDIT

dark side rocks but piper at the gates owns all :P

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 22:42 
Editors
Editors

Depends on what you were after in the game. It's generally considered that FFIX was a step back to the 'gothic' style of the earlier games. It didn't quite seem to work, but I loved the music - and the music in a FF game is half the battle. ;)

FFVII is well regarded by most, I think, because it was the game that introduced most to the series. I think V and VI are better than VII (I also think VIII is better than VII, but that's because I really can't stand Cloud...). X was certainly an experiment that went a little skewy. XI I've never played as it's an MMO. I can only hope that XII will be a return to the greatest days of FF.

...if it's anything like X-2, I'll write to Square complaining. ;)

Framerate - I'll look out for those two, as well, then. :D May I recommend 'Dire Straits: On the Night' too? :D 8) (The DVD, although the CD is good too...)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 23:03 

I look at FF7 like a lot of people look at Halo. Very overhyped game that I didn't particularly enjoy.

As for the rest of the series, surprisingly the only one that I even liked was FFX :P.

Never played XI because I absolutely hate extreme asian grinders.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 23:17 

Depends on what you were after in the game. It's generally considered that FFIX was a step back to the 'gothic' style of the earlier games. It didn't quite seem to work, but I loved the music - and the music in a FF game is half the battle. ;)

FFVII is well regarded by most, I think, because it was the game that introduced most to the series. I think V and VI are better than VII (I also think VIII is better than VII, but that's because I really can't stand Cloud...). X was certainly an experiment that went a little skewy. XI I've never played as it's an MMO. I can only hope that XII will be a return to the greatest days of FF.

...if it's anything like X-2, I'll write to Square complaining. ;)

FFVII was the game that introduced me to Final Fantasy, and RPG's in general. But what makes me go back to the game again and again is the way it gets me more involved than any other game ive played. Its the first game ive ever felt emotions (other than "DIE DIE DIE ALIEN SCUM!! BUAHAAHAA" ;)) while playing, almost shead a tear when Aeris died! FFVIII lost my attention towards the end, it just got overly complicated, and i just wanted to finish the game to say i did!

I think the leveling, magic and summon system was just right too, FFVIII made it a little overcomplicated. I liked the Spheregrid in FFX, but it was too big to master (unless you put some serious hours in!) The goals were also pretty unrealistic in FFVIII and X, the ridiculous amount of things needed to collect to get the ultimate weapons and stuff, i cant understand how anyone could work some of that out without a guide!

I never got around to playing IX...maybe ill see if i can get through it in a few months time.

Dont get me started on X-2 :) If XII end up like X-2 im going to start burning copies of it outside the Square headquarters...

Framerate - I'll look out for those two, as well, then. :D May I recommend 'Dire Straits: On the Night' too? :D 8) (The DVD, although the CD is good too...)

Ill try and grab that one, ive been wanting to get into Dire Straight for a while, might be a good route ;).

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2006, 16:10 
Editors
Editors

FFVII was the game that introduced me to Final Fantasy, and RPG's in general. But what makes me go back to the game again and again is the way it gets me more involved than any other game ive played. Its the first game ive ever felt emotions (other than "DIE DIE DIE ALIEN SCUM!! BUAHAAHAA" ;)) while playing, almost shead a tear when Aeris died! FFVIII lost my attention towards the end, it just got overly complicated, and i just wanted to finish the game to say i did!

I hated Aerith dying, but it didn't have the emotion for me that it seemed to hold for many of my friends. I liked Sephiroth too much, obviously. He was cool. Psycho, but cool. I really disliked Cloud, and Barret, and Tifa... so that really didn't help with the whole 'liking the game' thing.

I don't think VIII got too complicated, but then I've been through that game so many times I could give you a rather long dissertation on the storyline and relationships between all the characters! ;)

I think the leveling, magic and summon system was just right too, FFVIII made it a little overcomplicated. I liked the Spheregrid in FFX, but it was too big to master (unless you put some serious hours in!) The goals were also pretty unrealistic in FFVIII and X, the ridiculous amount of things needed to collect to get the ultimate weapons and stuff, i cant understand how anyone could work some of that out without a guide!

I agree that FFX had some stupid requirements for the Celestial Weapons, but I honestly thought that FFVII had more stupid sidequests than VIII. VIII's all made sense in relation to the story. I hated Butterfly Hunting in X! Argh! If you were good at Triple Triad in VIII, getting the ultimate weapons was easy as pie. It seemed random whether or not at the start of a new game it allowed you access to all the weapons in the junk shop or not. If it did, you could get the Lionheart before you even went to the Fire Cavern. :D 8)

Also, I dunno. I got really good at using the Junction system. The Materia system in VII didn't quite work for me the same way. I could get really good combinations, but... eh. :)

I never got around to playing IX...maybe ill see if i can get through it in a few months time.

IX is OK. I won't say it's bad, but I won't say it's good either. I really like the music, which harks me back to the earlier games, but with higher quality. It's worth playing, but it isn't VII, VIII or X.

Dont get me started on X-2 :) If XII end up like X-2 im going to start burning copies of it outside the Square headquarters...

I'll join you. ;)

Ill try and grab that one, ive been wanting to get into Dire Straight for a while, might be a good route ;).

It's a fantastic gig. It'll totally spoil the studio albums, as the lives performances just have so much extra soul in them. The studio albums I own, but don't listen to - aLCHEMY and On the Night are the only two I listen to. :D