Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2006, 00:29 

I am not subscribed to WoW right now. I am in a "no-mmo" phase of gaming and I am loving it.

When I do play WoW, it is on Doomhammer.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006, 21:59 

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about widescreen gaming and this seemed to be the best thread to ask. If a game doesn't support widescreen in any way (this mainly applies to the games before 3D became the norm) is it possible to display in normal 4:3? If not, how does a widescreen screen react to being put in a 4:3 resolution? I'm going to get a ws monitor tomorrow regardless but I'd like to know what limitations it'll place on my (quite large) collection of games.

Cheers

BB

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006, 23:08 
Editors
Editors

You get a screen capable of Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling in hardware, or an nVidia card that can do the same in software, and you'll be fine playing 4:3 games in 4:3. :)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2006, 01:50 

You get a screen capable of Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling in hardware, or an nVidia card that can do the same in software, and you'll be fine playing 4:3 games in 4:3. :)

I don't think I'll be able to use either of those, I'm on a tight budget. :(

Hopefully ATI will sort out their support eventually.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2006, 21:24 

I play Widescreen in World of Warcraft, EQ 2 and City of Heroes and Villains, looks fantastic! 1920 x 1200 baby, I will NEVER NEVER go back to the way it used to be.

I can't imagine playing any game online and not haveing a Widescreen to view it. I got an Apple Cinema Display 23" and its just simply the best monitor I have ever had

I highly recommend you get a Widescreen, besides more and more new games are building around the Widescreen concept, if they aren't just go into the folder and change the screen resolution, simple

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006, 08:14 

widescreen gaming is the shiet all the cool kidz to it :-D

naw, but it is more native than 4:3, 5:4

by the way the LCD that you picked out originally sucks people need to get it thru there head lower ms times and larger screens doesn't mean it's better.

This might help you get it though your head:
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=106&p1=1042&ma2=36&mo2=120&p2=1287&ph=1

the 2007WFP has higher ms times yet it's better than the samsung.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2006, 01:38 

I'm planning to get a Samsung 215TW, together with a G80... a couple of months ago i was sure that 215TW is the best choice for me, but now i'm not so sure anymore. You see, i've red some reviews... some sites were praising the monitor and said that it's good for gaming, while the others came to conclusion that it's not very good for gaming.

So, if anyone here has any experiance with this monitor, any info about it would help me greatly.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2006, 06:51 

*doh, just noticed this was a bumped old post*

Checked around the forums a bit and I just realised that so many games work like crap with widescreen.

For example, one of my previous favorite games is World of Warcraft. I don't play it anymore but I will start seriously again when Burning Crusade is released. But apparently you lose alot of view, and that just sucks. Saw that there is a mod that zooms out your viewing angle ALOT, but who wants to play like that, I want to watch my character just from the back.

You have some bad information.

First of all WoW has WS support and it looks great.

In my two years of owning a widescreen monitor i think i might have had two maybe three cases of non support or as you put it, "work like crap".

I have not once regretted the purchase of my widescreen monitotr. In fact i consider it the single best computer related purchase i have ever made.