Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 03:51 

I hear them say "anonymous information" all the time but they wont go into detail about what that is. It could be as smiple as checking the IP addresses of player you game with, or as advance as sending off all your cookie information.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 03:56 

Doesn't really matter what it is. They aren't telling you before purchase and they're serving you ads while still keeping the games price the same. Plus all the other BS they're pulling with 2142.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 06:45 

"anonymous information" and "collect your IP address" are oxymorons... with users being who believe this being the bigger moron. :roll:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 13:01 
Editors
Editors

Despite the statement that the software doesn't suck up personal identifiable information, it's caused enough concern for a Digital Illusions employee to move to calm fears.

"Data will only be gathered from in game. Web browsing and other profiling data is not being gathered... The purpose of the gathering is to determine if an ad is viewed by players,"
the employee posted in the forums of fansite Total Battlefield 2142.

I still think it's disgusting. You still have no choice when you buy the game but to be monitored in this way. It's more the princibles rather than what data they actually suck up. So it isn't personal at the moment, but if people accept this, how long until it is?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 15:04 

Knowing EA? Probably not very.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 00:44 

and? do you have to hide something? :lol:

That isn't an good idea from EA but who cares?
Not me, but the ea haters! :P

lol that is right so may i have that information of yours please

Post subject: Well
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 21:49 

emanuel.en you're still missing the point, this slowly over time sets the pace for the future to allow more invasion of privacy.

Yes it's not much now, but if it's not stopped try to imagine what this will be like 10 years from now?

You know what I see possibly here?

Many people around the world firmly believe video games lead to violence, true in some cases, but not all, so with the world more violent in 10 years, how would you like that if all games you buy register who you are, and have all the information on you?

Name, address, date of birth, citizenship, all civil and government records, so that they can monitor you to make sure you are not a potential threat, and if you ever look like you are posing a threat they come for you, because through the use of this great monitor software you can be tracked and found.

You think there are no possibilites for such a thing to ever happen? Guess again, and that is what this type of software brings, these possible changes, because right now these types of software are the mildest forms of that future.

That is possibly what our future holds, software that keeps a real eye on you.

ALOHA

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 22:50 

Spyware, plus now you may even need to uninstall one of the Windows Sercurity Updates! :( Man it sucks. cause i installed the BF2 demo and i had alot of fun. ( way more than the 360 BF:MC ) IF, IF, BF2142 didnt havbe these 2 issues, i would go and get it.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2006, 02:10 

About the spyware. It's illegal. Many states in the US classify software as a good under the Uniform Commercial Code. Per the UCC, once a purchase of a good is made, the vendor cannot add any additional conditions or restrictions relating to the purpose. Since the slip of paper is not outside the box, this means that the consumer only finds out after the purchase.

I do intend to fire off a letter to the Attorney General regarding this.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 01:24 

Wow. This is really lame news. As frustrated as I am with EA, I was still wanting to buy 2142. Mostly because a friend of mine really loves BF2 and the 2142 demo. I am not cool with data mining and reporting. I certainly don't want to see McDonalds billboards on a game that costs me $50. Not to mention how out of place these corporate advertisements will be in a dystopic post-apocalyptic world.

EA you are forcing me to hate you.

Speaking of how much EA sucks, has anyone noticed the lettering on the jeeps in the game "Company of Heroes"?

If you zoom into the allied jeeps, you will see in bold white letters "3A5UX".

I guess the developers don't care much for EA either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next