Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 01:29 

Had to try this massive online game created by Sigil sponsored by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)

I will come out and say it right now.. they got Server Issues, it is buggy as all hell. As any launch, a massive online game will have issues but I have NEVER ever had this hard of a time just trying to get in and play.

I have played all the massive online games and still play WoW, EQ 2 and SWG and City of Heroes... never did I ever have a problem logging on and creating a new chracter and playing for the first time in any of those games.

This game is just buggy as hell trying to get in and play. Man oh man. Maybe its Windows Vista I recently upgraded too.. who knows. This game is Vista ready, says so on the package.

Anyway definitely I need a patch to make sever entry more stable, right now its just a big mess.

Very pretty game, graphically equal to Oblivion. No difference.

1. I loaded the game, two discs, and created an account and downloaded the client launcher. 16gb later, yes I said sixteen gigabytes... wow, and I was at the character creation screen.

2. Character creation is straightforward, alot of choices here. Pick a class, race, how you want your character to look, and pick a name, and server you want to play on etc...etc.... nice job, well done.. easy enough.

3. Here is where the problems start. Trying to get into the actual game itself, lol OMG..lol They have about ten servers up and running. I clicked play and there is just so much stuttering, other characters from somewhere else appearing on your screen also trying to log in, flickering, server down etc... waiting on server to load.. etc... just a real big ugly mess right now.

Finally got in just by sheer luck, and yes its quite beautiful, very nice looking environment. Looks just like Oblivion pc game with settings on high. Very nice. Then I had a crash to deskto.. two of em..lol

This game is supposed to have weather intensive effects, clouds darken, thunder, lightening and rain... sounds awesome. The trees were swaying, clouds were slowly moving.. but didnt stay on long enough to see any weather storms and effects yet.

I think the game will be good as soon as i get a patch to fix this server stability log-in issue.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 10:54 
Editors
Editors

I certainly don't think Vanguard is for those people stuck on a metered broadband connection... :shock:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 12:22 

Did they fix the -vert only widescreen yet?

Ibrin Reported that its was - vert and there Director of Technology Ryan Elam reported he was going to fix the "quite simple" (his words not mine) WS FOV issues....but on the other hand looking at your report it seems like they have bigger fish to fry!

I fanncy try Vanguard but i think i'll wait 6-8 months till they patch up and balance things and maybe get a 7 day trial out so i can try before i buy

Thanks for an ingame(or lack of ingame)report hehe

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 22:43 

Sony Online Entertainment make the finest buggy, cookie-cutter, shovelware MMOs ever. I thought people knew that by now. Ah well, I pity the fools who actually bought this pile of rubbish, buying the viral marketing.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 23:37 

Sony Online Entertainment make the finest buggy, cookie-cutter, shovelware MMOs ever. I thought people knew that by now. Ah well, I pity the fools who actually bought this pile of rubbish, buying the viral marketing.

I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into after having played SWG and having SOE wreck the game. But.. i threw caution to the wind and bought this pile of trash as you put it.. agreed.. the game is JUNK

As it is right now.. its JUNK. Its just beyond me how this is legal... to sell something like this when it is CLEARLY, CLEARLY unfinished.

PC game manufactures have been doing this for such a long time.. you would think I would stop buying their trash. Well.. sometimes you just hope that maybe ONE TIME.. . someone would sell a pc game finished.

I just keep going back and buying pc games in hopes that one day.. my ship will come in..lol

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 00:28 

I just keep going back and buying pc games in hopes that one day.. my ship will come in..lol

Don't!

As you said, way too many game devs / publishers are pushing out blatantly unfinished products. If Microsoft would do something like that, they'd get their asses sued by everyone. But unfortunately, in the games industry, releasing stuff way too early seems to be a trend, and one too many (stupid) consumers aren't doing anything about.

How do we stop it?

By not buying beta-quality crap!

If you don't know anything about a game that's on the shelf, read some reviews, both ones by gaming websites and magazines. And read what consumers say about the product. The Internet is full of forums where games are discussed. And learn to distinguish between hype and real, valid reviews. Again, the Internet's full of stupid fanboys who'll defend any shit game, as well as "professional" game review websites which get paid by game publishers to write positive stuff about their crappy games. *cough* EA *cough*. There's no straight-forward way of distinguishing that sort of stuff... you just need to learn for yourself, I guess. But just keep in mind that not everything you read on the Internet, even stuff on "professional" websites, is stuff you should believe.

And, of course, actually playing the game before you buy it works very well.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 01:03 
Editors
Editors

And, of course, actually playing the game before you buy it works very well.

Pretty difficult for MMO's. Usually there's a free trial at some point, but its unknown when, and you may miss it completely and it'll expire.

And of course theres the "I want to play it now dammit!" factor :)

I have high hopes for LOTRO! If it's good, it's gonna be my one and only MMO to plunge thousands of hours into as SWG and WoW received before.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 13:15 

I've been playing MMOs for 8 years now, and most of the ones in development at the moment are quite crap, and definitely won't be as good as WoW. The only one which might be a competitor is Warhammer Online.

I'm in the Lord of the Rings Online closed beta, and I couldn't even log in it, its servers were so buggy. I made it to the character creation menu only once, and then my old video card crashed, and it started crashing regularly every since then.

MMOs are the worst when it comes to spreading baseless hype. Just because WoW has 8 million subscribers, game makes think "hey, we can do this too!" and make some cheap imitations with hardly any innovations or enhancements. But they still somehow manage to make some people think that their game r0x, because it's an MMO.

There might not be demos for MMOs, but they usually do have open beta periods. If they don't, then they're being rushed to release and will suck big-time anyway.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 21:42 
Editors
Editors

PC game manufactures have been doing this for such a long time.. you would think I would stop buying their trash. Well.. sometimes you just hope that maybe ONE TIME.. . someone would sell a pc game finished.

Only in recent years has it got as bad as this, however. And I think consoles have already caught up to PCs in the 'bugs at launch' department... it used to be that console games were tested rigorously because there was only one hardware platform to worry about, and if it had bugs you couldn't get it fixed unless you remastered and rereleased the game. With the advent of 'net enabled consoles, those days are over. Console games now ship just as buggy as their PC counterparts...

...at least PCs have a reason for some bugs. With how many different configurations of hardware there is out there, it's impossible to test it with everything.

I weep for the state of the gaming industry, I really do.

The only game that I honestly hope has no bugs in it is Duke Nukem Forever... with how long they're taking, if it's got bugs in it... ouch.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007, 00:07 

This game rocks now... unbelieveable in just two days they got all those bugs fixed.

The game runs smooth now.. nice. I take back everything I said about Vanguard.. its cool

You can acutally chop down a tree in this game!!! Hack at it with an ax. .and it cuts thru and falls down to the ground in a thud... unbelieveable.. thats a first.

Also.. i was crossing a stream, and the current got me and swept me downstream! wow. This is all from the noobie zone... what other new things am I gonna discover in this game? Wow.. i am very impressed.

My jaw hit the floor when i saw that guy chop that tree down and harvest the lumber... i couldnt believe it. No, it wasnt an NPC.. this was a player just like me. wow

Folks.. i highly recommend this game. Boy did I make a complete 180 degree turn.