Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 21:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MP game advice pls
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 19:50 

OFP MP has become generally shitty in the last couple of months - noone accepts the rules of fair-play that were commonly accepted in the beginning. In fact 98% of all players are either noobs, campers/point-whorers, cheaters or a combination thereof. Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with defending an object, but most campers don't defend a position but just camp @ the other teams spawns and rape the spawners. Basically everyone except a few old-schoolers try to get as many points as possible without taking any risk, so they can wank of to the scoreboard after a game.

Summary: lots of cheating, bug-using and other very cheap playing styles in OFP now -> sucks.
So I'm looking for a new game. I tried ArmA but its pretty much the same except the movements suck and cause additional frustration. I've played DH:BHD but I didn't like it very much either. I looked at youtube videos of Operation7, Insurgency Mod & COD4 - while these games look rather decent, I still get the feeling that all of them are even more 'camper' games, but maybe I get a wrong impression from the videos

What I'm looking for
* good community -> fair play
* team play (tactical gameplay possible/necessary)
* fast paced, action packed
* realism *based* gameplay (ballistics, damage models, etc.)
* good sound
* good graphics

Things I'm trying to avoid
* camping/point whoring
* cheating/hacking
* kiddies (I used to like OFP community for its maturity, but now everything has changed)

I would really much appreciate any advice and suggestions, so please recommend me some games that I could like.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 20:19 

What I'm looking for
* good community -> fair play
* team play (tactical gameplay possible/necessary)
* fast paced, action packed
* realism *based* gameplay (ballistics, damage models, etc.)
* good sound
* good graphics

Things I'm trying to avoid
* camping/point whoring
* cheating/hacking
* kiddies (I used to like OFP community for its maturity, but now everything has changed)

Imo you can't be a pc gamer if you haven't even tried cod4, however, although it's a great game, it has some issues:

* Community is massive, good clans are out there, and poor clans too...
* This depends, sometimes lonewolf plays fine, and in other game modes at a higher game level you need to play as a team.
* Yes
* Can shoot through walls and in hardcore mode it's realistic yes, quick deaths, have to aim with ironsights/whatever as no hud crossair, etc.
* Yes, if you have 5.1 you will be amazed, all of the cod games have had better sound than the competitors imo.
* yes, decent graphics, good performance

BUT:
* usually not an issue thanks to the UAV, campers can be annoying but it's much less bad than in many many games.
* An issue unfortunately, punkbuster still fails sometimes.
* A major issue, you need to find good servers as the random servers are filled with people calling you a cheater, noob, wallhacker, whatever when you play too good or too bad. People moan about the game mechanics like martyrdom ( perk to drop a grenade when dieing).

Personally I stick to the 20 people max servers, any more and it's a spamfest, imo the 6vs6 ish servers are best, most servers are 30-50 players though :(.

Hope this explains a bit about cod4.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 20:25 

I can't believe I'm actually going to suggest this, but I just got back into Planetside and joined an absolutely phenomenal outfit. Normal play time is rife with idiots, but prime time, when most of the outfit is on, is amazing. "Raid" night even more so. I don't even really like the game, I just keep playing because the people I'm playing with are great. One warning, though: It's $15 a month and many people do not see the game as worth it. I'm even leary of paying it, but the outfit I joined makes it worth it. There is some cheating, but its very rare and the developers are overhauling both net code and the game client to make it more secure in the relatively near future (3-5 months).

Google Planetside for info on the game and go to gotr.net for info on my outfit if you are interested.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 21:12 

thx very much for your replies. One of the last 'true' OFP players told me that COD4 was a game where people mostly lie in houses hidden under tables and waiting for some victim... :( - he said he couldn't stand playing for more than 15min because of camping and point-whoring and since he is generally more tolerant to campers than I am, I'm not quite sure if i want to try that.

i don't want to pay on a regular basis as i dislike the idea of buying a game over and over again.

I'm still hoping that someone can name me a game that i haven heard of yet :)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 21:42 

I don't play MP much anymore, but CoD4 seems to still get the most accolades from hardcore mp fanatics. You have to be careful what videos you watch because the gameplay can vary depending on the server, as in any mp game.

The last mp play I engaged in was FEAR. The action can be brutal and there's lots of melee going on so not much camping unless someone holes up at the end of a hallway with a rocket launcher, and there's generally ways to deal with that as there's more than one way to get there.

They changed FEAR a lot with Project Origin though, not sure I like the game much anymore. It's less tactical, horribly optimized, and they removed lean and slide kicks. Last real war type mp game I played was CoD: UO. I liked the sprint, weapons, and vehicles, some didn't.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 00:18 

I recommend cod 4 and 5. There are loads of servers out there and you can always find a good one (just a matter of joining a game and checking what ppl are saying and whether whining is tolerated). Some servers even ban bunny hopping to keep a semblance of "realism." I play COD5 on a French server (BGNS) which has mature and polite people, and even though I barely speak French, somehow I always feel welcome there.
Cod 4 and 5 have good server browsers with many filters so it's fairly easy to find gametypes of your choice. Hardcore search and destroy makes me hands sweat with excitement ;).
Both games already have decent user-created maps and mods that aim to change the original feel of the game.

Far Cry 2 has great graphics but at the moment it's very arcadey and it has a lousy server browser. Still, somehow I keep returning to it to roam in beautifully rendered jungle. They have announced a patch which will add a hardcore mode so hopefully I will be able to recommend it with clear conscience soon ;)

Rainbow6 Vegas2 can be fun as well: decent graphics, loads of weapons and attachments, rather realistic (e.g. weapon damage and no jump option), and has a cool take cover functionality. I find it the most difficult/challenging to play, but there aren't as many servers as for COD games.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 00:27 

They changed FEAR a lot with Project Origin though, not sure I like the game much anymore. It's less tactical, horribly optimized, and they removed lean and slide kicks. Last real war type mp game I played was CoD: UO. I liked the sprint, weapons, and vehicles, some didn't.

FEAR 2 is nowhere near poorly optimized.

Anyway, I hate to be an echo, but CoD4 is still where it's at. There are campers, as there are in every game, but the awesomeness of the game makes up for it, and I would say they are less prevelent than you describe.

The most mature community is probablt Team Fortress 2's, in my experience.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 00:37 

The most mature community is probablt Team Fortress 2's, in my experience.

Vouch, You just have to find a good server, I guess that goes with any game though.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 01:50 

[quote]The most mature community is probablt Team Fortress 2's, in my experience.

Vouch, You just have to find a good server, I guess that goes with any game though.Love the game.

You asked if we could come up with a suggestion that you hadn't heard about, and I think that's unlikely if you've done any research into this. For a multiplayer game to be successful from a multiplayer aspect, there (usually) needs to be a moderately large fanbase.

I would suggest TF2 because you don't have as many problems such as camping, spawn-killing, glitching, and weapon-whoring as some other games do (although they admittedly do exist to some extent).

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 04:16 

FEAR 2 is nowhere near poorly optimized.
I know a game that lacks proper optimization when I see one, and I have spec that reveals it much better than yours would. I can play FEAR and EP at higher settings getting better performance, and they use the same engine.

They simply packed too much content into FEAR 2 for JupiterEX to handle well. I've read comments from lots of people saying there are noticeable pauses, even on high end rigs.