Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:04 

Does anyone know where the actual ini file the game uses is, because I've changed settings in games (for example set the hack key to Q) and then checked all the ini files in the game dirs and none of them have q=hack anywhere.

I checked the Bioshock folder in my profile under Vista but the folder is empty, even after you've loaded the game, made changes, and saved.

What Im looking at trying to do is get the developer console working in the demo so I can then fiddle with commands in game, I've not tinkered with the unreal engine since the early days of UT2004 so Im a little rusty.

I've tried making a copy of the default game and user ini's and then adding switches to the exe to use these different ini files but that just results in a crash.

Been unable to find any other developer switches for the exe also.

sigh...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:10 

"]Heres a little image I made. Might help you guys educate some people out there (though that seems impossible at times)

And just to hammer the point home that its wrong:

you SOO need to post that set on the 2k forums

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:19 

I tired to register but I didnt get the email, Can someone else post them?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:20 

with this game, you see less, in same detail, and a distorted POV

No, you don't. Compare a 960x720 screen with a 1280x720 widescreen shot, and you'll see MORE. There are more pixels, and what you're seeing is in greater detail. There's no distorted POV, the projection is just done to maintain a constant horizontal POV.

They developed for 16:9 and opened up the top and bottom for 4:3. If the POV isn't to your liking, that's cool, and hopefully you'll be able to adjust it, but claiming Bioshock doesn't correctly support widescreen is kind of absurd.

phailure

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:21 

That's totally a misleading screenshot though. It implies that the game was built for 4:3 and modified for widescreen, which almost certainly isn't the case. It also implies that you're seeing a lower-resolution version, when in fact you're seeing more pixels than a comparable 4:3 display.

They opened up the top and bottom of the default 16:9 viewport for 4:3. That's all they did. It's a perfectly reasonable way to handle 4:3. And in no way makes the 16:9 version incorrect.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:26 

It's not perfectly reasonable. Altering the position of the top and bottom alters the frame of reference and it appears zoomed. It can cause motion sickness in some as a result. This is in addition to cut off art assets, contradictory statements from developers, recommendations from Microsoft for Games for Windows, and the fact that this is not how it is traditionally handled natively for probably the very first reason I described.

If it was at all intentional, the hand model would be in the same position in both widescreen and normal res, not cropped.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:27 

That's totally a misleading screenshot though. It implies that the game was built for 4:3 and modified for widescreen, which almost certainly isn't the case. It also implies that you're seeing a lower-resolution version, when in fact you're seeing more pixels than a comparable 4:3 display.

They opened up the top and bottom of the default 16:9 viewport for 4:3. That's all they did. It's a perfectly reasonable way to handle 4:3. And in no way makes the 16:9 version incorrect.

it seems it almost certainly IS the case that it was built for 4:3 and cropped and stretched to fit a widescreen. since thats what everything indicates, including my copy of the game/ vomit inducer.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 00:45 

If anyone claims that 2K Boston developed the game first in widescreen format, with reduced viewable area AND a hand model cut in half, and then they developed the 4:3 and added the rest of the hand, he/she must be either work for 2K, or be a complete.....noob, not to use the word I should use.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:06 

It's been 3 hours since I registered and no response. It looks like they are trying to do damage control by limiting new users. This forum and every other forum I have ever used took about 20 seconds to send an email to me...2k 3 hours and nothing. And yes I check my Junk mail..

Anyway's back on topic.

I am sending mine back because I believe that you vote with your dollar in these situations. I have tons of good X360 games to play now. I was looking forward to adding this to my arsenal, but it looks like it will have to wait. I am not going to pay full price for a crippled Xbox 360 game. I was wondering why I was getting motion sickness when I was playing the demo. I had no idea that improper FOV can do this. It explains why I got sick with Medal of Honor Xbox, but I never felt nautious playing call of duty 2.

A sad story...my friend's B-day is today and he has been waiting 2 years for this game. (a huge system shock fan). And he finally broke down and bought a 16:10 widescreen monitor just for this game because "he wanted to experience it in all it's glory"

Thanks 2k...you're the best!

I always wonder what the guys were thinking who make decisions like this......
"They'll never even notice it's not true widescreen"

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:11 

That's totally a misleading screenshot though. It implies that the game was built for 4:3 and modified for widescreen, which almost certainly isn't the case.

Have you looked at a 16:9 screenshot or the actual graphics in person with this configuration? Have you looked at a 4:3 screenshot or the actual graphics in person with this configuration? Do you think they would be chopping out the arm in 16:9 if this was what they designed the game for?

There is no need to theorize on what is "almost certainly isn't the case". Just look at the facts that are available or test it for yourself and give people some evidence, not what you personally feel they couldn't possibly have done (based on NOTHING). Seriously, stop with the crap. It just makes lurkers like me register to say how fed up we are with reading made up junk in the middle of real tangible evidence.

Not one of the people who have challenged these screenshots have offered their own to back up their opinion, here or in the 2k forums. That should tell you something right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 81  Next