Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 17:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007, 16:52 

While some devs could be slammed within reason (silicon knights) others to me just seem over-spread and under-manned (epic). This is purely opinion based on news/rumors/hearsay/whatever of course. But For much larger companies to expect Epic to do most/all of their dev/support is ridiculous. With that much unneeded pressure it's no wonder relatively important issues like proper widescreen/fov get mangled in the process.

I say make a law that prevents publishers and maybe even licensees from forcing developpers to release before it's done, and of course, find the ressources to enforce that law.

No more patches on launch, no more show-stopper bug fixes after release, if there's a show-stopper, -it ain't done-!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007, 02:03 

Thread locked, and the last reply was this;
Yes you are. Ingrateful to the artistic design that the developers are making. Games of today is not about you, the buyer. Its an artistic education where any "improvment" would vandalise their artistic vision. You shouldn't get options to make the game more enjoyable by YOU. Its not about YOU. Art is at work here...

I also only have a 1920x1200 screen and I'm SCARED that tripplehead gamers might see me on one of their screens when I play multiplayer. Terrified to the point that my shorts needs to be changed.

How DARED the widescreen gaming community tell 2Kgames how they feel the game would be most enjoyable... in widescreen...? And then have the nerve to tell Epic games the same? I mean, widescreen is just a nessesary evil for game developers to get their art displayed.... Picasso, who chose their widescreen FOV, must feel like a misunderstood artist by now...
Well, yes, it is about us. We're the ones who buy the games. This guy( Like many other ignorant people I've seen) seems to not comprehend that technology has moved forward, it is no longer an option to remain behind. Artistic- what? They made a game and if they want people to buy it they'll support newer technology! What's the problem here?

Their old tired argument is that Widescreen gives an unfair advantage. My reply is that "I know, it sucks that I have a longer average life-span than previous generations because of new technology. We shouldn't get that because it is an unfair advantage to people living before our times. :?

It's the exact same situation. We move FORWARD. Stores around where I live don't even carry non-widescreen monitors anymore. They are cheaper to buy than the old monitors now, I don't see what the hell the hold up is by these people? Toss your junker and buy a widescreen! Developers, DEVELOP for your CUSTOMERS!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007, 03:04 

It gives an advantage? so what! Some top-view games let users set resolutions, people with higher resolutions get to see more of the view at once, advantage? sure, sure-fire way for them to win? not really. If I suck at starcraft, that I'm running at 2560x1600 and see everything in 1 glance won't help my clutz brain at asset management. Someone against me in 640x480 could still win easily. Same for fov/wide/normal that I see more does -not- necessarly make me a better player. Peeps with 4:3 will still beat 16:9 / 16:10. It's one variable of many and truthfully, in multiplayer peeps with 1ms cable often slag peeps with 1000ms satellite (exagerating here, never used either). Connection is more likely to help you win than a couple extra degrees of view.

Visual is also only one input, audio exists too ya know. A long time ago I played Quake2, no sound. Some times it helped me to have sound on, others not. Heck I often checked behind me better without audio since I didn't enable that 'advantage'!.

To devs: concentrate on cheats that really are cheats (packet holding, router middlemen, speedhacks, hijacked servers, etc) and let people use the hardware they have as it's designed to be used. Just because you develop a game on a 4:3 21" crt does not mean only people with similar fields of view should benefit.

Please note all of the above multiplayer 'experience' was founded on things I've read. I do not play in multiplayer anymore, quake2 was one of the last ones I did.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007, 04:29 

Thread locked, and the last reply was this;
Yes you are. Ingrateful to the artistic design that the developers are making. Games of today is not about you, the buyer. Its an artistic education where any "improvment" would vandalise their artistic vision. You shouldn't get options to make the game more enjoyable by YOU. Its not about YOU. Art is at work here...

I also only have a 1920x1200 screen and I'm SCARED that tripplehead gamers might see me on one of their screens when I play multiplayer. Terrified to the point that my shorts needs to be changed.

How DARED the widescreen gaming community tell 2Kgames how they feel the game would be most enjoyable... in widescreen...? And then have the nerve to tell Epic games the same? I mean, widescreen is just a nessesary evil for game developers to get their art displayed.... Picasso, who chose their widescreen FOV, must feel like a misunderstood artist by now...
Well, yes, it is about us. We're the ones who buy the games. This guy( Like many other ignorant people I've seen) seems to not comprehend that technology has moved forward, it is no longer an option to remain behind. Artistic- what? They made a game and if they want people to buy it they'll support newer technology! What's the problem here?

Their old tired argument is that Widescreen gives an unfair advantage. My reply is that "I know, it sucks that I have a longer average life-span than previous generations because of new technology. We shouldn't get that because it is an unfair advantage to people living before our times. :?

It's the exact same situation. We move FORWARD. Stores around where I live don't even carry non-widescreen monitors anymore. They are cheaper to buy than the old monitors now, I don't see what the hell the hold up is by these people? Toss your junker and buy a widescreen! Developers, DEVELOP for your CUSTOMERS!

Thats Tamlin (WSGF Mod) Being sarcastic... :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2007, 11:42 

He's very good at it. :o

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2007, 08:19 

Who the heck locked the thread !? :x

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 12:28 
Editors
Editors

More proof that Bioshock's FOV was no ... design decision ... ?

Stranglehold ... on the 360 ... also the Unreal III engine ... vert- again in widescreen ...

Not widescreen ...

Widescreen ...

Fatal Inertia ... on the 360 ... also the Unreal III engine ... BUT ... this time they have just added black bars top and bottom when not in widescreen to give the "look" of widescreen ...
It is still vert- in widescreen ... just that in non widescreen they have covered the vert+ with bars ...

Not widescreen ...

Widescreen ...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 16:40 

I know this will probably be deleted, or covered automaticaly, but, what a bunch of lazy fuckers these developers are.
Are they that bored? Are they that lazy? Are they that incompetent?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

Another ... Hour of Victory ... on the 360 ... also the Unreal III engine ... vert- in widescreen ...

and ... another ... Blacksite ... on the 360 (also coming to the PC) ... also the Unreal III engine ... vert- in widescreen ...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 22:42 
Editors
Editors

He's very good at it. :o

Sorry about that... :oops: I PM'ed the moderator explaining that my thread was ment sarcastic and it wasn't an attact to the previous poster. Said he could freely delete my posts if they were the reason for that thread to be closed, but I guess they had alternate motives for closing the thread... :lol:

I am a bit tired of the art community explaining the entertainment industry how to force their artistic visions upon us widescreen gamers. We want it wide and will go to museum if to see art, not in our game room... :evil:

Not to mention the scared 4:3 players who are sooo afraid of widescreen gamers seeing more horizontally. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next