Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 21:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 16:10 

And everybody else clearly (it seems) perceives things in these video games differently to you ... as Bioshock's FOV to most people is wrong ...
As a "scientist" wouldn't you be better spending your time looking at why your brain and it's perception is so odd compared to everyone else's ...
Trying to justify Bioshocks poorly implemented FOV over and over again with such poor arguments (it seems in most peoples opinion) isn't going to help you or change their minds.
This repeated justification (with all its twists) to those that and disagree with you is also why people think you have an "interest" so to speak in your justification.

Considering that the game has already sold over 1.5 million copies, and has received rave reviews in every professional review that I've seen, you are on pretty shaky grounds in insisting that "everyone" sees problems with Bioshock's FOV. I've already posted multiple references from sources on 3D graphics explaining how the preferred FOV is the one for which the FOV equals the number of degrees occupied by the screen in the visual field (wanna see 'em again?), so my view is in line with that of experts in the fields of 3D graphics, simulation, and virtual reality. I think, rather, that a few people have spent so much time looking at distorted images in FPS games with an overwide FOV that now a natural FOV looks funny to them.

What he didn't explain is why it would not be better to see an I didn't say an undistorted image across the three screens wouldn't be more or less desirable ... I have never seen it in a FPS game how can I know.
You haven't played a game in Triplehead but you poo poo it ... very scientific. You would have more credibility if you didn't keep unscientifically twisting things as you did with that question ... you are making yourself look a fool not a scientist.

It is, however, an unavoidable fact of geometry that wrapping an image that is calculated for projection on a plane around angled monitors will produce severe distortion. Scientifically speaking, this is not rocket science. There has been considerable research into the best way to use multiple monitors to produce a perfect perspective view. Look up the "CAVE" virtual reality environment, for example.

All of this just convinces me more that you are arguing for the sake of it ... and it is uncanny how you twist things to suit your point of view just as 2K did with ... it was an artistic or design decision ...
They got it wrong and they are changing it ... they even thanked us for pointing it out and said what an awesome forum we have here ... a forum that believes in Horz+ ... :wink:

So a minute ago I was somehow in cahoots with 2K, and now you are pointing out that I am out of step with their corporate policy. I have no complaint with 2K's decision to accommodate those who find that the FOV is not to their personal taste. That doesn't mean that they have acknowledged that they got it "wrong" (and Bioshock's huge sales and strong reviews certainly argue that they didn't), but simply that they have sensibly decided to smooth the issue over rather than argue about it. If I had a financial interest in Bioshock, I'd certainly be saying the same thing that they are. In business a good policy is "the customer is always right, even when he is wrong." We'll see what they actually do. If they really believe that they got it wrong, then the patch will change the default FOV. If they are just accommodating some disgruntled customers, then they'll keep the same default, but provide an option to modify it.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 16:14 

and yet you still wont comment on why other major games do it right?

what about Quake wars or HL2
id and Valve did it right and pretty much defined the FPS
dont you think they would know this too?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 17:03 
Editors
Editors

[quote]And everybody else clearly (it seems) perceives things in these video games differently to you ... as Bioshock's FOV to most people is wrong ...
As a "scientist" wouldn't you be better spending your time looking at why your brain and it's perception is so odd compared to everyone else's ...
Trying to justify Bioshocks poorly implemented FOV over and over again with such poor arguments (it seems in most peoples opinion) isn't going to help you or change their minds.
This repeated justification (with all its twists) to those that and disagree with you is also why people think you have an "interest" so to speak in your justification.

Considering that the game has already sold over 1.5 million copies, and has received rave reviews in every professional review that I've seen, you are on pretty shaky grounds in insisting that "everyone" sees problems with Bioshock's FOV. You know what I meant ... stop twisting things and splitting hairs ... :wink:

What he didn't explain is why it would not be better to see an I didn't say an undistorted image across the three screens wouldn't be more or less desirable ...
[quote] I have never seen it in a FPS game how can I know.
You haven't played a game in Triplehead but you poo poo it ... very scientific. You would have more credibility if you didn't keep unscientifically twisting things as you did with that question ... you are making yourself look a fool not a scientist.

It is, however, an unavoidable fact of geometry that wrapping an image that is calculated for projection on a plane around angled monitors will produce severe distortion. Scientifically speaking, this is not rocket science. There has been considerable research into the best way to use multiple monitors to produce a perfect perspective view. Look up the "CAVE" virtual reality environment, for example.
You said that already and I didn't particularly disagree with you I just said TripleHead is ok as it is now and gave you my reasons why.
It also doesn't change what I said in that quote you quoted ... :wink:

All of this just convinces me more that you are arguing for the sake of it ... and it is uncanny how you twist things to suit your point of view just as 2K did with ... it was an artistic or design decision ...
They got it wrong and they are changing it ... they even thanked us for pointing it out and said what an awesome forum we have here ... a forum that believes in Horz+ ... :wink:

So a minute ago I was somehow in cahoots with 2K, and now you are pointing out that I am out of step with their corporate policy.
Where did I say you are in cahoots with 2K ? ... I said ... "people think you have an "interest" so to speak in your justification." ... stop twisting things.
Re the "corporate policy" bit of what you said ... read what I said again ... this time without twisting things ... :wink:

I have no complaint with 2K's decision to accommodate those who find that the FOV is not to their personal taste. That doesn't mean that they have acknowledged that they got it "wrong" (and Bioshock's huge sales and strong reviews certainly argue that they didn't), ...
Getting huge sales doesn't mean they got the FOV right either ... :wink: ... stop twisting things ... :wink:

If they really believe that they got it wrong, then the patch will change the default FOV. If they are just accommodating some disgruntled customers, then they'll keep the same default, but provide an option to modify it.
There you go twisting to your own ends/justification before they have even happened ... :lol:
It won't necessarily mean that at all ... maybe they will construct it the way Racer_S did it as they seem to be happy with that ... :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 18:23 

Probably because he has no way to put a spin on it (other than to say they are all wrong(-rediculous!) and BioShock is right?) for it to make any sense according to his stupid claims. Scientist be damned (he sucks if he is one; aren't they supposed to listen to reason?), he should be a politician...

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 20:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Since when have you ever heard of a scientist listening to reason? They're so self inflated that they can't see past their own opinions. It's the reason there is still debates about creationism, evolution, and the big bang.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 20:30 
Editors
Editors

Since when have you ever heard of a scientist listening to reason? They're so self inflated that they can't see past their own opinions. It's the reason there is still debates about creationism, evolution, and the big bang.

Religion vs. Science has no place in this thread.

Everyone is opinionated. You're a perfect example with that post.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 21:11 

[quote]Since when have you ever heard of a scientist listening to reason? They're so self inflated that they can't see past their own opinions. It's the reason there is still debates about creationism, evolution, and the big bang.

Religion vs. Science has no place in this thread.

Everyone is opinionated. You're a perfect example with that post.

pwned lol

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 21:22 
Editors
Editors

Considering that the game has already sold over 1.5 million copies, and has received rave reviews in every professional review that I've seen, you are on pretty shaky grounds in insisting that "everyone" sees problems with Bioshock's FOV. I've already posted multiple references from sources on 3D graphics explaining how the preferred FOV is the one for which the FOV equals the number of degrees occupied by the screen in the visual field (wanna see 'em again?), so my view is in line with that of experts in the fields of 3D graphics, simulation, and virtual reality. I think, rather, that a few people have spent so much time looking at distorted images in FPS games with an overwide FOV that now a natural FOV looks funny to them.

The half life series have over 15 million copies sold.
http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=648

If anything Bioshock got MORE sales due to bad FOV implentation and all the publicity it received around it.

There is probably a lot of 4:3 users within the 1.5 million copies sold too, don't you think? ;) And they are not complaining about FOV being too wide....

Talking about the sales of Bioshock is a waste of time, unless for publicity reasons. It does not reflect whether or not the FOV was bad and if you really were a scientist, you'd dismiss that as evidence. People are not complaining about the game being bad, but that the FOV implentation of it was bad, the choice of securerom protection didn't please the users, and also the limited activation. Many games have a lot of bugs and errors after first launch, and even though they have sold much, it doesn't mean the bugs doesn't excist. Take a look at Windows Vista. In may there were 50 million copies sold. By your arguments, it should be bug free. Its not.
http://news.com.com/Gates+40+million+Vista+copies+sold/2100-1016_3-6183890.html

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 23:17 

I undertsand that you enjoy the FOV found in BioShock, I'm happy for you. I agree it's a matter of taste, you prefer the default FOV and I don't. However, the method in which they have implemented your favoured FOV, basically ruins the experience for users on wider monitors, such as triple head (and those of us who sit close to the screen)... That's hardly fair is it?

It certainly would not be fair if 2K had advertised the game as providing optimized support for nonstandard ultrawide display configurations. But so far as I know they have not made any such claim. I don't personally own a triple head configuration, but am I correct in presuming that it is possible to simply turn off the two side monitors? In that case, Bioshock provides triple head owners with exactly the same experience that it provides owners of standard configurations, which hardly seems unfair.

In its current state, BioShock also prevents the game from ever being run on superwide monitors, wouldn't you rather it were flexible and could cater for future technologies?

I certainly think that it is reasonable to request such support, although I am astonished by the sense of entitlement that I'm hearing from people who own such configurations. Do you believe that they are obligated to invest in providing an enhanced gaming experience to an unusual, nonstandard configuration that probably constitutes less than 1% of their customer base and that the game is not advertised as supporting?

But if you head read Paddy's thread detailing the fact that almost every recent U3 engine game uses exactly the same FOV/widescreen implementation method as BioShock, then you would know that your arguments on the side of 2K with regards to the "artistic" aesthetics was nonsense. Any man can see that, why you can't, a scientist, is beyond me.

I read the thread. I don't think his argument makes sense. I think that there are very good reasons why the vert+ approach to supporting 4:3 monitors is becoming more common; I predict that it will become the rule rather than the exception. With more and more people owning 16:9 and 16:10 displays, and with games being developed specifically for that aspect ratio, developers are going to be less and less inclined to invest large amounts of money in optimizing the game to support 4:3 displays. When a game was developed and optimized initially for 4:3, expanding the view a bit for widescreen was not a huge risk--it might make the game too easy, but it wouldn't make it too hard. But now that games are being developed initially for wide aspect ratios, a developer is likely to worry that chopping off the sides for 4:3 will chop off key parts of in-game videos, and perhaps even make the game unplayably hard. So keeping the same FOV for 4:3 is cheaper, and effectively the path of least resistance. And since nobody likes letterboxing, they just open up the game vertically. From Levine's comments, it is clear that this is what happened with Bioshock. They went through "dozens" of possible FOVs for 16:9, but he wasn't even involved in deciding what to do for 4:3; it sounds like somebody showed him the game running in 4:3 and he said, "fine."

Although the people complaining are mainly widescreen owners, this is actually more of a problem for 4:3 owners. For many games, a horiz- solution might well provide a better 4:3 gaming experience. A wider FOV makes everything smaller and less dramatic on the screen, and 4:3 screens often (although not always) are physically narrower. This means that 4:3 players may have to sit uncomfortably close to get a perspective-correct playing experience. In addition, smaller images also suffer more from the frequently lower resolution of 4:3 displays, a well known problem with letterboxed display of widescreen movies.

He is literally arguing against someone gaining something while nobody else loses anything... and he already has what he wants, so where does the motivation to rally against others stem from? It seems a bit self-centered and selfish to me.

As I've said many times, I have never argued against the use of the wide-FOV hack (although I do recommend that people give the original FOV a fair trial), nor against the release of an official 2K approved patch. My only argument has been that the FOV of Bioshock is a valid and reasonable artistic decision, that actually provides most players with more correct perspective than conventional ultrawide FOV displays. It is perfectly reasonable for players who prefer a wider FOV to request this; however, they should recognize that they are asking the developer to accommodate a personal preference, and that there are no reasonable grounds to insist that the original display is in any sense incorrect or buggy.

It is certainly true that just like many people around here I am self-centered to the extent that I would like more games to cater to my own personal taste, and for me I find that a perspective-correct FOV such as that of Bioshock provides a superior playing experience. However, I have never objected to developers providing options for players to customize the FOV of a noncompetitive game such as Bioshock.

Most people around here already have what they want, too--a working patch, and the promise of an official one. Yet quite a few are still interested in debating the issue with me. Nobody is in danger of losing anything, so we are arguing not about what should be done about Bioshock (a settled issue) but about general matters of perspective, geometry, and game design.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2007, 23:38 

I have commented on it many times, but I'm happy to repeat it.

Different games, different solutions. There is no one "right" choice for FOV. It is a design choice that depends upon a developer's artistic and gameplay goals. There are inherent tradeoffs. A very wide FOV provides a substitute for peripheral vision, at the price of visible distortion that (at typical viewing distances) expands objects at the edge of the screen and miniaturizes them in the center. A narrower FOV provides a more natural, perspective correct display in which objects appear actual size, but loses peripheral vision.

So a developer of a game that is primarily about shooting may well find that a wide FOV best serves his gameplay goals. A developer who is more concerned about atmosphere and immersion may choose a narrower, perspective-correct default FOV. The former approach is certainly easier in terms of game design. A developer using a narrow FOV needs to carefully design levels so that players are not blindsided so often that it becomes annoying, or needs to find other ways of compensating for the absence of peripheral vision, such as using audio cues. The increasing popularity of surround sound makes this more practical than it used to be. The developers of Bioshock clearly went to great trouble to achieve this. Everything has an audio cue associated with it. The splicers are always raving, the Little Sisters are constantly talking, the Big Daddies are stomping around, and the multichannel sound provides clear directional cues so that you are almost never blindsided. There is currently a Bioshock review thread going on Slashdock. There are plenty of complaints about the game being aired, but I notice two things: last time I looked, nobody was complaining about the FOV being too narrow (although that may change now that I've posted this), and nobody was complaining that the game is too hard, or that they are constantly getting blindsided by enemies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next