Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 13:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Crysis leaked
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 04:45 
Insiders
Insiders

They are letting my play a game im buying a few days early in return for all the crap they handed me in the past.

EA didn't hand you anything. If you played a crappy game, it's because you took it.

Of course not everyone feels this way about crysis and I imagine some people will download it, finsh it and feel as if they do not need to pay but thats not my problem.

It could very easily become your problem. Say the PC version gets pirated to high heavens, and then they release a watered-down console port that sells several times as many copies. It would only be logical that Crysis 2 will be designed as a watered-down console game from the ground up. You the gamer are then denied the option of playing a kick-ass sequel at any price.

OR do what Bethesda did dont use any copy protection and make a kick ass games and have HUGE sales

As I said, fail to protect a game, and the game gets cracked even sooner, and people blame the company for not protecting their property. Furthermore, most of those huge sales from Oblivion came from the XBox 360 version, which was impossible to pirate at the time. Crytek and EA took a big risk by making a big-budget game and making it PC exclusive, even if only at first, and it looks like the risk backfired already.

Those people who download for free most likely wouldn't buy it even without the option to download it at all.

I don't buy this excuse. The people who download for free are doing so because they would like to play the game, and prefer "free" to "pay." If you don't want the game, you don't need to waste your time downloading it.

ether way Oblivion is one of the best selling PC games EVER

Strictly in terms of PC sales, it's nothing spectacular.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 05:51 
Editors
Editors

Take a step back and look at the topic... crysis got leaked.

Lets have a look at this shall we;

Most games get hacked eventually, no matter how long or short the time span is, it will happen to the majority of games worth hacking.

Copy protection will always be there, different version, types, and styles, until someone turns off the internet, there will always be a way to distribute the games hacked in the above statement.

Finally, lets look at ourselfs, there are those that will never pirate, those that will, then buy the game for support, and those that will never buy the game and pirate all thier life.

This is life, and to quote a pretty accuate saying to sum this up...

It is, what it is....

I don't really care that much that people pirate, I don't really care that much about big developers both parties aren't going to quit, so sit back and watch the ongoing toils.

Just my .02 cents.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 06:18 

big developers

Outside of Japan these do not exist.

The people who actually make the games get paid like crap, work crazy hours, and have little say in design decisions. Hell they even get paid with advanced royalties.

They are not the big publishers. They are employed by the publishers. World of difference.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 18:11 
Editors
Editors

Take a step back and look at the topic... crysis got leaked.

Lets have a look at this shall we;

Most games get hacked eventually, no matter how long or short the time span is, it will happen to the majority of games worth hacking.

Copy protection will always be there, different version, types, and styles, until someone turns off the internet, there will always be a way to distribute the games hacked in the above statement.

Finally, lets look at ourselfs, there are those that will never pirate, those that will, then buy the game for support, and those that will never buy the game and pirate all thier life.

This is life, and to quote a pretty accuate saying to sum this up...

It is, what it is....

I don't really care that much that people pirate, I don't really care that much about big developers both parties aren't going to quit, so sit back and watch the ongoing toils.

Just my .02 cents.

QFT.

I hope this'll be my last comment on this topic, but I won't guarantee it will be just in case someone says something that really gets up my back. :lol:

Crysis got leaked.

It's out there.

Those that are going to pirate it, either have already or will do so.

Those that are going to buy the game, either have pre-orders, or will pick it up in the not-too-distant future.

This has now turned into another circuitous piracy argument. We've had quite a few of those in the past, and they get boring quickly as neither side will convince the other, and vitriol only grows as time goes by until the pro-piracy side comes to the conclusion that "everything should be pirated!" (leading either to total anarchy or the zen-like money-less Utopia of Star Trek...) and the anti-piarcy side think that anyone who has ever even visited a site that hosts anything remotely piracy related should be executed by lethal injection. :roll:

In short:

Bored now.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 19:20 

Well said both of you above,

Im hopefully done aswell Ive stated my stance many times and Maherie pretty much summed it up for me.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 19:37 

yes

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 20:29 

I agree. People who pirate games will always pirate. If a game cannot be pirated when they want it they will just wait for it. :roll:

And no one buys a game when they could pirate it instead. Just like all those people who bought PSU and were complaining about the lack of keys. What were they talking about :roll:

Shake it however you want, in the end it is stealing. And not stealing from some large faceless corporation, but stealing from people like you and me who make games because they love doing so and want to share that love with others.

But they never receive the reward for their efforts and end up having to quit doing what they love because they cannot survive doing so. And then someone spouts off about how the quality of PC games is declining and the products are rushed and poorly supported to which I say, no shit.

They bitch and moan about copy protection and how it ruins their experience but then they sluff off piracy as a given. You cannot get it both ways.

Crysis, ironic name for a game.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 20:52 

i would LOVE for Piracy to to drive the likes of 2K and EA out of business

on the other hand i will keep paying for game from Bethesda, Massive, and Gas Powered games since they seem to get no one likes crappy copy protection

i will NEVER pirate a game that has no or lax copy protection
and there was nothing to even hack in Oblivion its only protection was simple disk check you could even have the disk image mounted (i do this so i dont mess up my DVD of the game)
WiC has online only exe with no cd check
and Gaspowered totaly removed secuROM from Supcom

EA refuses to remove secuROM from CnC3 yet at every patch people still need a hack to make there legal copys work

the Pirates had less issues getting Bioshock to work and with copy protection like that i hope more people pirate there games untill they ether A. go under or better B. stop using shitty copy protection

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 21:46 

would LOVE for Piracy to to drive the likes of 2K and EA out of business

on the other hand i will keep paying for game from Bethesda, Massive, and Gas Powered games since they seem to get no one likes crappy copy protection

i will NEVER pirate a game that has no or lax copy protection
and there was nothing to even hack in Oblivion its only protection was simple disk check you could even have the disk image mounted (i do this so i dont mess up my DVD of the game)
WiC has online only exe with no cd check
and Gaspowered totaly removed secuROM from Supcom

EA refuses to remove secuROM from CnC3 yet at every patch people still need a hack to make there legal copys work

the Pirates had less issues getting Bioshock to work and with copy protection like that i hope more people pirate there games untill they ether A. go under or better B. stop using shitty copy protection

So you want no copy protection but you would like piracy to take out all the companies that use strong protection?

You cannot have both.

For every Oblivion there will be 100 other good games that die quickly with no copy protection. PC gaming would look like Mac gaming.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 22:39 

ill take 3-4 good games a year over the 20-30 games with may be 2-3 being crap

most are console ports any way so they already made there money on the console ver

why cant PC games be like consoles in that they dont need to be installed
or just have a very small install like back years ago
then run off the DVD

Oblivion WiC and Supcom prove you dont need heavy handed copy protection to make money

the other way to do is Steam i would rather them use Steam as copy protection then secuROM that black list legit software

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next