Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 05:10 

The point I was referring to you missing was the point of my screen name obviously which you severely and disrespectfully botched as I pointed out. As far as I'm concerned though you missed the entire point of the thread and turned it into a bickering fest, but I guess that's why you call yourself cranky.

Like I said before, if you don't think the demo's a good one so be it, but the rest of us liked it and saw purpose in it, despite your trying to rain on what you seem to think is an overzealous parade here.

And btw, I merely gave examples of how your nit picking was sheepishly boardering on flame, that's not the same as name calling. You were the one that dragged out the silly screen name implications. Despite your trying to sound profound with your dancing around and nit picking over the words used you have done the stooping here. Hiding behind a cleverly disguised dig at my screen name isn't exactly going to make that fact go away.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 05:38 
Insiders
Insiders

The point I was referring to you missing was the point of my screen name

A screen name is a just a name. Generally speaking, they aren't so profound as to have "points." If yours is unusually profound, then please forgive me for not recognizing it as so.

As far as I'm concerned though you missed the entire point of the thread and turned it into a bickering fest

As far as I'm concerned, you missed *my* point that I wanted to add to the thread, and you turned it into a bickering fest.

And btw, I merely gave examples of how your nit picking was sheepishly boardering on flame,

You made some extremely unflattering remarks about two guys you "know" with the none too subtle implication that you think I'm the same as them, and by proxy, the unflattering remarks are directed at me. That's sinking down to personal attacks any way you try to spin it. It has nothing to do with your original point and nothing to do with my original point. It's a personal attack.

You were the one that dragged out the silly screen name implications.

I meant nothing more than this than to point out that names need to be worded right in order to be useful - that it's not enough to get the meaning the same if the words are different. It was never my intention to "dig" at your name. Like I said in the last post, I'm more than happy to change it to "enthusiast" and my point still stands. I could even use my own name to fit the example, and my point would still stand.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2008, 00:14 
Editors
Editors

ENOUGH.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 02:34 

I'm sceptical :/

But I'm an old git who grew up with the original game which was pretty special. So I just worry that this will cheapen all that by making it into a typical "survival horror" where it's little more than bashing zombies on the head with an iron bar, a plank of wood, a branch of a tree, a bassball bat, perhaps even a chainsaw..

The multiple ways of solving problems could go bad too. In the original, a locked door was locked for a reason. The reason being... it was meant to serve as a challenge, and the challenge was getting past. So you had to find a key, and that involved reading clues and fighting dangerous stuff, and exploring etc.. So a challenge that was actually a challenge. So I just wonder if in the modern game it will make things too simple for the player. You come across a locked door and it no longer serves a challenge because you can open it with your crowbar, your skeleton key, your shotgun can blast the locks off, your gas canister can douse it and then you can burn it down, or there is a window next to the door that you can just climb through.

I hope they prove me wrong and it's awesome though :)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 05:45 

ENOUGH.

You scared me. :shock: :cry: I havn't seen you yell like that before. :lol:

I think this game will go down the line of the BIOSHITE, promise all of these wakky features...free choice, choose how you proceed in every challenge (2 choices, whoopty doo, and customised ways to kill the same creatures over and over again)...and end up being a very lateral game line.

Still waiting for someone to cap DuesEx's very high bar. Well Stalker for me was close in a few aspects.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 18:38 

I think this game will go down the line of the BIOSH***
I thought that was rubbish too :/ The problem is, theres at least a few million people out there who think Bioshock is one of the best games ever made.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008, 08:27 
Insiders
Insiders

Apperently it's now gone gold.

"Atari today announced that development is complete on the highly anticipated action survival game Alone in the Dark.

The game is on track to ship 20 June in Europe and 24 June in North America for Xbox 360, PC, Wii and PlayStation 2. The Playstation 3 version is scheduled for autumn 2008.

Inspired by the story-telling twists and turns of many blockbuster TV series, Alone in the Dark innovates once again with a DVD-style chapter select menu which lets players of all abilities reach the game's dramatic, riveting climax and get the full value out of the game.

"With its genre-busting mix of gameplay, wide-screen presentation style and DVD chapter select feature putting the player in control, Alone in the Dark will thrill all gamers," said Phil Harrison, President of Infogrames Entertainment. "It's a game which will challenge the player but also reward them with a one-of-a-kind video game experience and a huge amount of fun."

In addition to the standard game, Xbox 360, PC and Wii Limited Editions will be available at launch from selected European retailers featuring exclusive items including hero figurine, art book and 'making of' documentary DVD."

So let's hope they got it right... hopefully not another Bioshock - both in widescreen method and 'ground-breaking-ed-ness.'

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 01:51 

Apparently, it's crap.

EDIT - Never mind the install thing. :oops: There is a little checkbox on the bottom left of the initial splash screen for a custom Installation

And look what I have to do to install.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips242.html

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 11:55 
Editors
Editors

Apparently, it's crap.

No 'apparently' about it.

Played the 360 version in a shop yesterday. OMFG, that game is terrible.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 17:14 

That's sort of a shame I guess, this is how we don't get new ideas into the gaming business. All the new games that have all these cool features always have 90% of the other stuff garbage and it discourages the industry. It looked like it had some cool ideas, but they couldn't get the basics done right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next