Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 17:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 15:48 

[quote]This is getting better and better. I cannot play the game online because I am unable to sign in to windows live application! I checked gfwl forum and turns out I am not alone, but there is no solution. I did forward or open the necessary ports in my firewall and router, and I am running out of ideas. Anybody here has a similar problem? I have got 5 more days to return the game to the store, and it looks like I will finally take advantage of this option.

I am having this same problem. I can't sign on to GFWL. I had to create an offline account so I could save the game. I haven't even tried to play mutliplayer yet.

: (

Anybody hear of a fix?

Yes. You need to create a new windowslive account and pretend that you are a us citizen (only when you are setting up the account ;) ). It's not a joke, I do not know why it is so, but it works!

edit: oops, I just noticed you are from New York. Make sure you have forwarded relevant ports in your router and firewall. Other than that, I don't know what else it might be.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 21:30 
Insiders
Insiders

All ports are forwarded. Still can't connect, but now I actually get an error message; rather than just "can't log you in, LOL".

It's probably my university's fascist firewall blocking it.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 23:02 

All ports are forwarded. Still can't connect, but now I actually get an error message; rather than just "can't log you in, LOL".

It's probably my university's fascist firewall blocking it.

I remember reading that people couldn't log into winlive from within GTA4, but all was ok when using the winlive application on its own. It had obviously something to do with the game. You might wanna try these two ways of signing in, if you haven't already. Might help you identify what's at fault.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 00:03 
Insiders
Insiders

I did not know there was a separate app. for GFWL. I'm not really worried about this crap taking up my system resources, but my anus is starting to hurt from all this.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 00:44 

I did not know there was a separate app. for GFWL. I'm not really worried about this crap taking up my system resources, but my anus is starting to hurt from all this.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt.
Anyhoo, there is a separate app, and you are aware that GTA4 requires you to update it once you install the game, huh? And wait a sec, how do you know its ports are forwarded/opened in your firewall if you're not aware there's a client for GFWL (it's in your Program Files)?
Plus, if I remember correctly, GFWL requires you to associate your msn/hotmail/live account with GFWL. I might be wrong here, and this might be a redundant step but worth looking into as well. Once you get that sorted you are set for all other games that use GFWL (e.g. crappy Quantum of Solace ;) )

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 01:02 
Insiders
Insiders

I had a live account already because I have a Zune. Nothing ever, ever asked me to install the client. And I'm pretty sure that I synched my Live account with GFWL because once I actually did get the friggin client it still doesn't work.

I got the ports from the troubleshooting guide that the built in Live thing with GTA IV sent me to.

This really pisses me off. Even with this extra client, I can't sign in while in game. Looks like I might have to entertain the thought of getting a refund from Steam, which is a shame because I was looking forward to playing the other GTAs in triplehead.

EDIT:

Turns out that I needed to do a command line fix to get GFWL to work. Which is really, really ridiculous.

Here is the link to the thread on the steam forums for anybody else having problems logging into GFWL.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8618364&postcount=1

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 03:26 
Editors
Editors

Made my first vid. I had neglected the video editor because on XP it always crashed me for some reason.

Anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii-DraQapts

Look at the guy's face !!

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 05:57 
Insiders
Insiders

That's great. :)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 17:49 

Have there been any patches since the third week of January one? It would be nice to see the final few missions I had left. :(

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 06:21 

Been playing TLatD for a while now, pretty cool stuff. It's almost like a whole new game, how Vice City/San Andreas were to GTAIII. There are even some parallels to the main story line. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next