Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 22:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MP game advice pls
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 17:20 

I know a game that lacks proper optimization when I see one, and I have spec that reveals it much better than yours would. I can play FEAR and EP at higher settings getting better performance, and they use the same engine.

They simply packed too much content into FEAR 2 for JupiterEX to handle well. I've read comments from lots of people saying there are noticeable pauses, even on high end rigs.
But to be fair, it could be a lot worse.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 03:09 

But to be fair, it could be a lot worse.
True, in PC gaming anymore you definitely have to grade on a curve. At some point however the developers have to be realistic when packing more graphical complexity into a sequel as to whether they should revamp the game's engine. It used to be that FEAR mainly only paused and stuttered in transition areas, now it does it in open areas, and can affect firefights adversely.

CryTek revamped their CryEngine2 with Warhead, and as a result, it handles that extra complexity well. In may places Warhead plays at frame rates above what Crysis does. My main nit pic about CryTek is they do idiotic things like cap the usable VRAM at 256. Some still don't even know you can get much better performance if you open up the amount of usable VRAM via the proper command.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 03:40 

[quote]But to be fair, it could be a lot worse.
My main nit pic about CryTek is they do idiotic things like....

cancel patches and support because they are butthurt from non-existent threats.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 03:57 

...cancel patches and support because they are butthurt from non-existent threats.
LOL, would you mind explaining what you mean by that? I assume you're talking in anger of their having ended patch support, claiming they're not listening to complaints enough?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 09:32 

[quote]FEAR 2 is nowhere near poorly optimized.
I know a game that lacks proper optimization when I see one, and I have spec that reveals it much better than yours would. I can play FEAR and EP at higher settings getting better performance, and they use the same engine.

They simply packed too much content into FEAR 2 for JupiterEX to handle well. I've read comments from lots of people saying there are noticeable pauses, even on high end rigs.

The pauses are loading/checkpoint stops... The game might not run as well as FEAR, but it's also pushing a lot more effects (if slightly worse textures).

All I know is I can max the in-game settings and also force SSA through nHancer, which is almost unheard of in a brand new game with a single middle-ground GPU like mine.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 00:34 

I don't see anyone saying it's optimized fine. Most are commenting on how much worse it is. I maintain, anytime you add graphic complexity to a game, esp one that had stuttering issues in the first place, you should consider revamping the engine. They put this one together rather lazily IMO.

In many ways it's watered down too. No more lean, no more Extreme difficulty mode, no more slide kicks, no more quicksaves, etc. Heck, even the checkpoints don't tell you where they're saving. You have to guess whether that last pause was a stutter or a save. LOL

Post subject: Re: MP game advice pls
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 15:18 

Hi redgun,

By the points you list, you need to check out the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. No, CoD4/5, Far Cry 2 and other popular console-port games won't suit you (or me either) because there are indeed a lot of kiddies (your word) there. If you liked OFP and tried ArmA and want realistic gameplay with cooperative mature players then BF2:PR is probably what you want until ArmA2 or OFP2 come out.

The pr community is mature and very cooperative. Almost everyone has a microphone, follows orders and stays together as a squad. Of the bullet points you list, it has, except perhaps the 'fast paced'. Combining fast paced with reality based is not realistic I think.

BF2 is $10 in stores now too.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 18:59 

I was in an Enemy territories Quake Wars clan for a while , Im not sure how active it is now , but it had a pretty good community back in the day.
Certainly teamplay based , vehicles , objective based (defend X / hack X / repair X) Graphics are still good and the sound is fine , wouldnt say its particuarly realistic though with lazer weapons and tripmines and shit.
Should give it a try though i think , its like $10

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 03:31 

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I used to play the first person shooters quite a bit, and have known quite a few mature, strat based clans.

However, I do agree that having strategic, team based gameplay can be almost never combined with fast paced, so you'll have to make provisions and decide what's more important.

Used to play America's Army which is pretty realistic, is great when played with friends and teammates, and is up for a graphics overhaul soon. However, most of the outdoor maps are very slow. At least it's free.

I think COD definitely works for fast paced action, but it's almost too frantic at times. Hard to use much strategy when people are always respawning and at a different location.

I don't recommend Far Cry 2 for MP, it just doesn't do much for me. First person is kinda fun but repetitive.

Currently I'm into TF2. Steam does a good job keeping the hacking down, the community is good, and it's fun to play with all the different classes. But mostly, it's just nice to find a game that doesn't cause me to pull my own hair out from frustration :)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 01:03 

Thx, for all your help. As great as Project Reality looks, it doesn't run on triple-head so, i'll have to keep looking.

What I will come up with:
Nothing, I'll probably stop playing all together. Today was the new low in OFP. Not a single good game - not a f***ing single good game out of about 10. Only camping and whoring easy points. Seems like I'm the last person out there who actually wants to have fun instead of winning.
I played this thing since the demo was released I always loved it until now...nowadays people are only looking for easy kills.

So I guess i'll quit gaming altogether, since i can't find any game worth playing. Sad but true, thanks again for your attempts to help.