Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 17:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Velvet Assassin
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 10:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Nice. So how is it?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 12:33 

It's a bit rough around the edges, but very good at the center, if that makes sense. Games like this don't come out often... other than Splinter Cell and Thief I don't know another game like it.

It runs well maxed for the most part... it has a lot of graphics options and allows for custom key configs.

My biggest annoyance is the game forces V-Synch, which lowers my frames and makes mouse movement a bit sluggish. Neither the .ini or nhancer seem to shut V-Synch off.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 18:09 

Have to asked to developer about it? They may be able to provide some insight.

Widescreen support looks great regardless!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 22:58 

Have to asked to developer about it? They may be able to provide some insight.

Yeah, I'll have to seek out their forums and register... I tried the Steam forums first, as a lot of times developers of Steam-only games are on there, but no one has replied yet.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 05:36 

Got V-Synch disabled... force it off for ALL applications in your control panel, works like a charm. Game plays much smoother without it, and performance is a lot better.

Played it for an hour more after I figured that out and I really like the game :)

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 13:41 

How is the enemy A.I.? I remember watching a gameplay video where ze Germans seemed strangely oblivious to crouching Violette walking in circles round them.
Also, how realistic is weapon damage, and is there a slider to adjust difficulty setting, and then what does it affect?

I know these are general questions but I'm not sure if they warrant creating a separate thread. Anyhoo, thanks for the report and I look forward to your feedback!

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 15:15 

How is the enemy A.I.? I remember watching a gameplay video where ze Germans seemed strangely oblivious to crouching Violette walking in circles round them.
Also, how realistic is weapon damage, and is there a slider to adjust difficulty setting, and then what does it affect?

I know these are general questions but I'm not sure if they warrant creating a separate thread. Anyhoo, thanks for the report and I look forward to your feedback!

1. Enemies follow a steady patrol pattern like in a Splinter Cell game... there's no real dynamic AI. If you turn off a light, whistle or whatever else they will head toward the source if the sound. In dark shadows she turns pretty much invisible, just like in Splinter Cell.

2. Weapon damage is very realistic... one shot to the head kills an enemy, and two shots to the body. I guess it's not uber real as a normal human would fall with one body shot, but... it's not an FPS by any means. You die extremely quickly when caught... just a second or two of someone shooting you and it's game over... basically don't even get caught unless you pick up armor, which seems to be really rare.

3. It has normal and realistic... I am playing on normal and it's pretty tough. It's all pattern memorization for the most part, but if you ever mess up and get seen or heard you will most likely be killed quickly.

The game's only real fault is it doesn't move the genre forward. If you like Splinter Cell and don't need innovation in a game, I would suggest a purchase.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 15:38 

[quote]How is the enemy A.I.? I remember watching a gameplay video where ze Germans seemed strangely oblivious to crouching Violette walking in circles round them.

1. Enemies follow a steady patrol pattern like in a Splinter Cell game... there's no real dynamic AI. If you turn off a light, whistle or whatever else they will head toward the source if the sound. In dark shadows she turns pretty much invisible, just like in Splinter Cell.

2. Weapon damage is very realistic... one shot to the head kills an enemy, and two shots to the body. I guess it's not uber real as a normal human would fall with one body shot, but... it's not an FPS by any means. You die extremely quickly when caught... just a second or two of someone shooting you and it's game over... basically don't even get caught unless you pick up armor, which seems to be really rare.

3. It has normal and realistic... I am playing on normal and it's pretty tough. It's all pattern memorization for the most part, but if you ever mess up and get seen or heard you will most likely be killed quickly.

The game's only real fault is it doesn't move the genre forward. If you like Splinter Cell and don't need innovation in a game, I would suggest a purchase.

Thank you for your quick response. Ha, it looks like my kind of game :) Preordering now, and I wish the release date was the same for Europe as it is for the US.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:58 
Editors
Editors

I know these are general questions but I'm not sure if they warrant creating a separate thread.

They did. :mrgreen: And here ya go :P We generally try and keep Detailed Report threads about issues affecting the grading, rather than actual gameplay :)

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 17:15 

[quote]
I know these are general questions but I'm not sure if they warrant creating a separate thread.

They did. :mrgreen: And here ya go :P We generally try and keep Detailed Report threads about issues affecting the grading, rather than actual gameplay :)

Sure thing. Thanks man! :)