Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 17:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Velvet Assassin
PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 03:39 

Here are some pics from my home forum... the shadows in this game can be amazing:

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 10:16 

Here are some pics from my home forum... the shadows in this game can be amazing]

Indeed. Turns out the game is already available for download in Europe from Steam and Gamersgate so in about 2 hours I will be able to check it out myself :) Btw, does it have an official forum and support (I couldn't find one)?

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 10:40 

[quote]Here are some pics from my home forum... the shadows in this game can be amazing]

Indeed. Turns out the game is already available for download in Europe from Steam and Gamersgate so in about 2 hours I will be able to check it out myself :) Btw, does it have an official forum and support (I couldn't find one)?

I couldn't find a Replay forum either, but as it is a Steam game they will probably pay most attention to the Steam forums. Perhaps there is a forum on Southpeak's site?

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 17:30 

I am on the 5th or 6th mission now (Warsaw) and I can honestly say that I am having a great time playing the game. Tha ambience is very suggestive, the lighting so lifelike, and the pace is just right with loads of sneaking up on the enemy and bits of explosive action. I only wish Violette's movements were a bit more fluid at times, and she could pick up enemies' weapons. That's that, back to the game now ;)

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 00:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Well I played through the first mission and i gotta say that I'm not too impressed. It's so.... basic. THe graphics are an odd mix of very nice and terrible. BUt teh gameplay is console-ish and boring. But nwo i know. But I also tried Wolverine, and it's surprisingly good. I think I'll grab a copy.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 07:11 

Well I played through the first mission and i gotta say that I'm not too impressed. It's so.... basic. THe graphics are an odd mix of very nice and terrible. BUt teh gameplay is console-ish and boring.

As I said, it plays like an older game, a pure stealth game like Splinter Cell. It is made for a niche audience, which includes me.

I have to disagree on graphics though, I think they look quite good, most of the time.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 11:33 

Well I played through the first mission and i gotta say that I'm not too impressed. It's so.... basic. THe graphics are an odd mix of very nice and terrible. BUt teh gameplay is console-ish and boring. But nwo i know. But I also tried Wolverine, and it's surprisingly good. I think I'll grab a copy.

Unless you are repelled by the game I suggest sticking at it and doing 2 more missions as the first one is the most basic one and can be considered as training. Later you get to interact with the environment a bit more and find use for those barrels with poisonous gas, puddles and electirc switches, and granades carelessly strapped to the enemies' belts. There's no gadgetry here, but I find the gameplay enjoyable. The graphics overall are beautiful in my opinion (my favorite level so far is the inky night of the docks, as seen on screenshots above), but I do think that some animations could be improved (e.g. when she dons the German uniform she turns into a robot, and her face is a bit like a mask too).
I am concerned though that there's no official forum and without any communication between customers and developers the game probably won't get updates that could improve things.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 11:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Hmm... maybe I'll give 'er another go. I DO love the Splinter Cell, Theif, and other sneaky-puss-kill'em games, but this one hasn't made a good impression yet...

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 18:29 

I can't really imagine liking those games and disliking this one... pretty much the same exact gameplay. It's probably less polished than Chaos Threory, but not the original two.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 23:11 

I just finished the game, and I wish it was longer :(
Oh, and I just checked the game website and it's misleading cause it lists weapons you don't get to use at all in the game. Given the price and the length of the game, at the end I feel kinda let down.
Anyways I might be doing something wrong cause in the stats it shows that I finished 11 out of 12 missions.

Question which contains a spoiler:

To Stinging Velvet and whoever has played the game: at the end she doesn't manage to save any of the villagers, just collapses, and I get to see the disfigured mugshot of you know who. Is it how it ends for you too?