Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 15:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 17:39 

While I love linear games with a nice story & a nice pace like for example CoD Modern Warfare... Their shortness is their major issue most of the time.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 18:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't think there's a single quality that I look for in games. In my list of four star games, I've got games with linear stories, games with non-linear and flexible open-ended stories, games with no stories at all, fast paced shooters, slow and methodical strategy games, complicated space fighter simulators, innovative games that are a bit buggy and unpolished, games that do nothing new but do it better than anyone's done it before, games with infinite replay value, games with zero replay value but you'll remember that one playthrough forever, etc.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 10:16 

Well i'm also an allround gamer. But i don't like something like world of warcraft. On the other hand I do like Oblivion. RPG's in general is one of my favorite genre. I'm loving Mass Effect (just started).

Racing games is something new for me. Did follow the NFS series a bit, but nothing to series (Most Wanted was the last good nfs game imo). But i recently got GRiD, and i'm loving it. It's not like NFS where you don't have to brake, but still i'm liking the chalange. Anyone else into GRiD?

So the games i've installed on my new PC and plan on finishing (pc is a week old):

- Assassins creed
- Mass Effect
- Prince of persia (2008)
- Bioshock
- Fallout 3
- Half life 2
- Spinter Cell Double Agent
- Need for speed Undercover
- GRiD
- Burnout Paradise
- Far Cry 2
- Call of duty 4 (mainly multiplayer)
- Oblivion (+ expansions)
- Battlefield 2 (mainly multiplayer)
- Rainbow Six Vegas
- Rainbow Six Vegas 2

I'm doing this by memory, since i'm @ work now, so i might have forgot one or two :p. Anyway, i have alot to catch up on :).

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:39 

1,2,3,4 most often

6 occasionally
7 if I am in the mood to deal with racing games :P

Thought I would add with the scare yourself shitless one, there has to be plot to go with it, if the whole point of the game is to scare you, ill pass.
Multiplayer seems to have a lot more replayish value to me, like I can play multiplayers for many more hours before boredom sets in (hours over course of months)

Games I have enjoyed */!/# to be defined later
Morrowind
Assassins Creed (from playing at friends)*
Far Cry 2 *
Prototype
Grand Theft Auto 4
Orange Box
Trackmania (for some relaxation)
UT3 !
Battlefield 2 !
Empires Mod (vehicles FTW)
Spore */#
Civ 4
Medal of Honor Airborne #
Left 4 Dead

Games I believe I would enjoy
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1/2
Assassins Creed 2
Oblivion
Starcraft
Fallout 3 (less sure on this than oblivion but have played it for like 30 minutes at a friends)

* - love the open world setup, gets repetitive after a while (GTA and Prototype manage to stay fun however probably due to diversity of GTA missions and Prototype is unique)
! - Single player is fun, multiplayer I am owned to much to tell
# Was good for a run through, not sure about re-playability, seemed short also (granted you can infinitely play spore, but after playing it once through you are stuck in space indefinitely doing repetitions of the same task.)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 06:53 

I've just ordered HAWX. Anyone played that before?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 07:44 
Editors
Editors

I've just ordered HAWX. Anyone played that before?

I just fired up the HAWX demo again a couple days ago :). Very enjoyable, IMO. If you have never played, be prepared for confusing terminology and a crappy tutorial mission. Remember this: "Assistance on" means a more traditional 1st or 3rd person view (cockpit, HUD-only, or "over the tail"), while "Assistance off" is a distant camera view unassociated (mostly) with your plane that instead focuses on your target. This should have been called a "Dogfight cam", IMO. I spend 50-70% of the time in this mode, especially since it looks so nice in Triplehead. :)

Will probably pick up the full game later this year.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 09:34 

That indeed looks cool ( http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/games/supported/hawx/ )

I only have one monitor though ;p. But still, i ordered it cause i like fighter planes, and the settings seems cool to me. Thought the tom clancy name might just be a cheap trick to get it some credentials, it still might account for something. Also the actions look stunning. I'm a sucker for good explosions :).

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 09:45 
Editors
Editors

Games I believe I would enjoy
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1/2
Assassins Creed 2
Oblivion
Starcraft
Fallout 3 (less sure on this than oblivion but have played it for like 30 minutes at a friends)

R6V was fairly bland and boring after a while.
Assassin's Creed 2 looks awesome. Got it pre-ordered. :D
Oblivion - I thought you had this?
Starcraft - amazing single player, good multi... just don't play any Koreans...
Fallout 3... it's OK. I just got Operation Anchorage and The Pitt on DVD (no GfWL needed!) and O:A was way too short. :(

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 10:12 

I liked R6V, but the second one is even better. You can personalize more with gear and stuff. I like that.

Btw, i pre-ordered call of duty modern warfare 2 for € 35,00. (http://www.cdwow.nl/games/PC-Game/CALL-OF-DUTY-MODERN-WARFARE-2/product/view/9838937)

Quite cheap i think. Also, is anyone here still playing Cod4 multiplayer? If so, what servers do you attend?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:13 

R6V was fairly bland and boring after a while.
Assassin's Creed 2 looks awesome. Got it pre-ordered. :D
Oblivion - I thought you had this?
Starcraft - amazing single player, good multi... just don't play any Koreans...
Fallout 3... it's OK. I just got Operation Anchorage and The Pitt on DVD (no GfWL needed!) and O:A was way too short. :(

Never owned Oblivion, played morrowind constantly for a while, oblivion like 20 bucks at the store right now, or someone has offered me a copy also) (20 bucks for Game of the Year edition, basically new art and expansions included, yet its 30 bucks for normal, and 30 bucks for just oblivion and bioshock)

Starcraft I have played against Koreans and Chinese people (buddies who tried getting me hooked, didn't work...)

AC2 does look awesome I would preorder it but I don't have money between some other purchases I am making (or not sure if I will have any)

If it goes on sale for 40 shortly after release I will probably pick it up (any idea how it would run compared to the original, seems like original should run fine on my computer so im not sure about this version) Any keyboard and mousers thoughts on AC1? not sure if I should invest in a gamepad or not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next