Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 20:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Borderlands
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 04:46 

We talked about that on my other forum, it is pure BS. The comparison shot shown is just depth of field on versus off.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 07:12 
Editors
Editors

If anyone had not noticed this yet:

If you're running Borderlands on a Windows 7 platform, chances are you aren't actually running the game in DirectX 10. Why? Who knows. However, ShackNews has a very easy fix that will switch to the DirectX 10 render path and a few tweaks that will give you more visual eye candy to gawk at.

1. Go to the directory --> C:Users[Your user Name]DocumentsMy GamesBorderlandsWillowGameConfig a. Find the file WillowEngine.ini (make a copy and rename it as a backup)
2. Find the section [SystemSettings]

Change the following settings to True, you will see if you are currently in DX9 as well.
- AllowD3D10=True (this is the key one to enable the DX10 render engine)

Also change the following
- MotionBlur=True
- DepthOfField=True
- Bloom=True
- UseHighQualityBloom=True
- FogVolumes=True

*source = http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=21272678#itemanchor_21272678

Or you can just add -dx9 to your target to launch the game and get a big fps boost I hear. I was in the low 30's and mid 20's when running 5760x1200 so maybe if I try again in DX9 I get a boost in fps. The game did not seem to have any reason to be so demanding but if it was in DX10 that does make sense. Most games DX10 does more harm than good.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 09:18 

It never runs in DX10 no matter what... the "-dx9" thing is a placebo.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 12:28 
Editors
Editors

It never runs in DX10 no matter what... the "-dx9" thing is a placebo.

I have not tested, but I will :D

I know it worked with older games so it makes sense.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 19:25 

It works in games that run in DX10, making them run in DX9 which often performs better. This game however has no DX10, making the "-dx9" thing meaningless.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 20:01 

Finally got around to finishing this thing on PC. Finished it on my 360 ages ago but couldn't keep playing due to how it made me feel ill cause of the FoV.

So playthrough 1 finished. Time to do playthrough 2 :D

<3 at all the rare orange drops :D

EDIT: Hunter's Defender shotty is 67 (x7) Damage lol. Just in case you were wondering why it is an orange.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 06:58 
Editors
Editors

Tested the -dx9 thing and did not see a difference. It was a posted fix for Win7 fps, but if it was a true fix probably would have worked on Vista too.

I put my uber lvl 50 Siren away and started up a Hunter, trying to find time to play online only with this one since its more of what the game was designed for, the Siren was 99% single player mode.

I feel a lot weaker with the Hunter so far, but once I start getting a few good weapons and a class mod that fits my build it should get better. Skill choice for the Hunter seems a lot harder to me, the Siren was pretty easy as there is one ultimate build I could clearly see (and use) dont know what all the rave about bloodwing was about, my phasewalk was 500x more useful than bloodwing so far.

I feel bad because I was more accurate and more damaging with a SMG than I am now with a sniper rifle, plus most of my SMG's had a longer zoom too.

Im going to try to play on 5760x1200 I got used to the messed up zoomed menu and I have FOV binds on the w and shift key to make moving around work properly but the way increasing the FOV makes things seem so far away from you really ramps up the difficulty in this game, you thiink your far away and out of sight range or shoot range of the enemy with FOV 142 and your really almost right next to them, soon as you use any kind of zoom on a weapon you zoom WAY in and see the "real" distance.

I thought this virtual increase zoom range would benifit me as a sniper but it actually makes it a lot harder because I think im far away and sniping somebody but im close and then my aim cursor is way bigger than it should be making an already in accurate weapon even more inaccurate. But as far as taking in the game the three screens really adds to the effect. Just not sure if anybody will find that overall the pros outweigh the cons.

I want to record a short video of it in action today or sometime soon but all I have is my point & shoot camera so I cant get any nice HD stuff it will be low quality.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 07:24 

Has anyone managed to enable FSAA successfully? I read about different methods (for example: http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?p=5653 ) but non of them work.
Cell shading with black borders could really use some jaggies smoothening, i think fsaa would be perfect for this game.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 08:17 

Has anyone managed to enable FSAA successfully? I read about different methods (for example: http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?p=5653 ) but non of them work.
Cell shading with black borders could really use some jaggies smoothening, i think fsaa would be perfect for this game.

Pretty simple, use UE3 profile in nHancer.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 08:38 

Did you manage to turn on FSAA in Borderlands using the method you proposed? If so, which compatability profile did you use (there are at least 6 different UE3 compatability profiles in nHancer).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next