Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 01:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 22:32 
Founder
Founder

I honestly found this to be a terrible review. It's repetitive, shallow and just a random baseless opinion dump.
Even the "stream of consciousness" format doesn't excuse the glaring faults. I've read hundreds of average forum posts that were far superior to that so-called article. I don't see the point, or the value in it.

Then write a better review...

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 23:13 

They are a FAR cry from the real OOMPH you hear/feel from these weapons. You may or may not have fired any of these weapons in real life, but I have, and they do not sound real from first person view. Maybe 3rd person 100 feet away, but definitely not first person.

I don't think the average person really knows what a gun sounds like (or for that matter a large array of guns).

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 01:16 

It's interesting you call the game easy when I find it quite a bit harder than the original and many other reviews have actually knocked the game for being too hard. Also I think you let the humor bother you more than it should considering what percentage of the overall experience it is.

That said I agree with your overall score and most other comments. I find the game to lack some of the joy of the original for reasons I can't really state clearly. It's a little less moody, a little less polished, a little less fun. I like it, I have played it a good bit, but it is just not the amazing experience the original was for me on the whole.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 00:40 

[quote]I honestly found this to be a terrible review. It's repetitive, shallow and just a random baseless opinion dump.
Even the "stream of consciousness" format doesn't excuse the glaring faults. I've read hundreds of average forum posts that were far superior to that so-called article. I don't see the point, or the value in it.

Hummm... That's like saying that the reviewer should develop a better game, if he didn't like L4D2? :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 12:34 
Editors
Editors

No, Cynagen makes it plain that this is not a review in the traditional sense, so it shouldn't have to adhere to 'traditional' review styling. It's nice to have a take on the game that isn't "ZOMG! Awesome!" or "Iz teh suckzors!" that are the two extremes taken by most reviewers. It's a break for most people who read it from the classical 'review'.

Anyway, more user content is always welcomed - if you want to write a review for L4D2, do so. :) Just don't make it personal by writing "In response to Cynagens..." ;)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 15:46 

[quote][quote]I honestly found this to be a terrible review. It's repetitive, shallow and just a random baseless opinion dump.

Hummm... That's like saying that the reviewer should develop a better game, if he didn't like L4D2? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stormwatcher: I welcome all criticism and user-reviews posted to compliment my own. Also, these are my own opinions (see: Disclaimer), don't let them taint your view of the WSGF (again, see: Disclaimer), they just get published because, well, I don't know why. I just sat down and wrote the review for L4D1 and a couple weeks later, I was featured, so I continued doing them. This is a community, and the atmosphere is to be one of a community, therefore, my Ramblings are just that, ramblings, my thoughts just leaking out into the keyboard. Take them how you want to, they're not magazine reviews and were never meant to be, so if you were looking for one, sorry to disappoint. It's great to see that you at least spoke your disapproval, and I would really enjoy a rebuttal to my review, I'd like to hear your take on the game.

StingingVelvet: I think I may be able to put the finger on what is making L4D2 feel so much worse than L4D1.
It's Pokémon: Zombies Edition, give the originals a new look, add a couple more creatures, same basic story, slap a new label on it, sell for premium price, ???, profit!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 15:51 
Insiders
Insiders

It's Pokémon: Zombies Edition, give the originals a new look, add a couple more creatures, same basic story, slap a new label on it, sell for premium price, ???, profit!
At least there is something new in it. We could have been stuck with "Roster Update '09"

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 15:55 

At least there is something new in it. We could have been stuck with "Roster Update '09"

:lol: :cheers :lol: Thanks for the good laugh man.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 16:01 
Founder
Founder

Not really. Cynagen hasn't shown any potential skill or talent in designing or coding games. I bet he could successfully give his opinions to the developers in the form of design documents or critique if asked to do so. But, he hasn't shown the skillset needed to code or develop an actual game.

You on the other hand have shown the skills needed to post a game review. One, you have an opinion and know how to express it. Two, you can type. Three, by posting in the forum you show that you know how to put that opinion on display for the public to see.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 11:55 

Sorry but i completely disagree with alot of points there, i havnt played this enough to come to a complete conclusion but the audio within the game is amazing, when i say audio i mean sound effects.
It's been a while since ive heard these sfx to this magnitude. Its a weird point to make but something i do notice :roll:

Also in terms of the difficulty, id say this is alot harder, obviously this is more based on the tonne of zombies rather than hunters every corner. And correct me if im wrong but your able to run through every level in under 40 minutes.

Personally i think this game surpasse's the original by far. When i played the demo i thought this should have just been an expansion but the more detail, weaponry etc, you can see why this is its own game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next