Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 08:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 19:13 

[quote][quote]Bad port or not, the game's core gameplay mechanics are too simplistic to appeal to your average PC gamer

I don't particularly like hack n' slash games either, I don't even like God of War, but I made an exception here due to the well done Star Wars look and feel. It's not a great game but it can be enjoyable for Star Wars fans.

I take issue with the idea of it being "below" PC gamers as well, especially since the most popular PC games like Diablo 2 or Counterstrike are exceedingly simple in mechanics.

Counterstrike? Simple! OMG :twisted:

But it takes years to master counterstrike. One game is never enough.

I probably shouldn't have used Counterstrike since I never played it, but my point was an FPS is simple at heart... click on enemy... but there is depth and nuance in mastering it. Same thing with TFU, at heart you just mash the attack button next to an enemy, but there is really more to it than that to be good at it. Combos for instance are almost required at high levels.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 18:42 

Once I saw the option screen I knew my system would either kill this game or be killed by it.

Sigh.

EDIT - I wonder if it is forcing AA?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 20:15 

EDIT - I wonder if it is forcing AA?

Sure as hell isn't on my PC.

I picked this up for $7.50 from the fourth of July Steam sale. So far...it's okay. I've only played the first two levels, but already a couple things stand out to me.

1.) The aiming system is ridiculous. We should be able to aim where the camera is looking, not just the one direction he's facing.
2.) This definitely is a console port, but that doesn't stop it from feeling very "star wars-y". Seriously, the first level with the wing assembly line? Absolutely awesome.
3.) It's more than hack'n slash, because of all the force powers and combos they throw at you. If you just went around slashing with the lightsaber, you're going to die pretty quickly (on a higher difficulty).
4.) If they give you the power to manipulate objects with the force to solve problems, why oh god WHY did they not give you the ability to ROTATE them?
5.) Lightning should be more powerful. That is all.
6.) Force grabbing enemies weapons. Needs to exist.

Overall it's fun though. Needs a lot of polishing, but still fun for under ten bucks :).

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 01:30 

I think I know why it is running like ass on my system. It has a FPS cap of 30. I think this probably means the actual game speed is tied this. So if I get 20 FPS the game plays at 2/3 of its normal speed. Sad.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 05:17 

Well I just beat the main story and the alternate missions. These points still stand:
1.) The aiming system is ridiculous. We should be able to aim where the camera is looking, not just the one direction he's facing.
2.) This definitely is a console port, but that doesn't stop it from feeling very "star wars-y". Seriously, the first level with the wing assembly line? Absolutely awesome.
3.) It's more than hack'n slash, because of all the force powers and combos they throw at you. If you just went around slashing with the lightsaber, you're going to die pretty quickly (on a higher difficulty).
4.) If they give you the power to manipulate objects with the force to solve problems, why oh god WHY did they not give you the ability to ROTATE them?
5.) Lightning should be more powerful. That is all.
6.) Force grabbing enemies weapons. Needs to exist.

Additional (random) thoughts:
-The first (technically second) mission in the tie fighter factory was fantastic.
-The second and third missions were boring as hell. Sorry, but they were.
-The fact that you start off playing as Darth Vader is horrible. You're playing the second most powerful sith character in the Star Wars universe and you can't do jack shit. The force powers are only fun when you know how to use them, making the first level insanely awkward.
-There needs to be a mode (or something) where lightsabers actually cut things in half. I know it's "the FORCE unleashed" but seriously, can't you just give me the ability to slice off enemies' limbs if I want to?
-I know it's a console port, but you guys seriously still have to use the diamond pattern to display what the force powers are? This isn't a controller, E, Q, left and right click are no where near each other.
-Quick time events need to die. End of story. They just make things awkward.
-I didn't think the star destroyer part was that bad. It was annoying that it never registered it aligning half off the time. And why the hell does it need to align for you to drag it to the ground?
-The extra episodes were a very nice touch, even though they brutally killed the Star Wars canon. Hoth was especially amazing.
-The game is way too glitchy. I lost track of the times I had to restart the game because a character froze, or starkiller fell below the map and didn't respawn, or a host of other issues. These are not thinks that should normally happen.
-Holy loading screens, Batman!
-The lightsaber crystal screen needs to show you what the lightsaber crystals look like. "Compressed" and "unstable" doesn't tell you much if you haven't seen them before. A simple animation isn't a lot of work.
-I really want to be able to steal other character's weapons. No particular reason other than it would look awesome once in a while.
-The very best part of the game is the fact that you can blow out windows on spaceships to suck enemies out.
-Speaking of that, this is a Star Wars game. Stop sending me off to so many exotic worlds and let me go inside a freaking star destroyer.

Still, a fun game for the price. But far from polished.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 04:26 

I have it and I beat it, I loved the boss fights, thats about it. The main character is too powerful which makes the game really easy. I played it with a controller so controls were fine. Frame rate is locked at 30 which was the only thing that I found annoying, other than that I recommend the game if you can find it cheap.