Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 14:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 01:37 

I just fired it up, it looks so retro, lol. The colors were whacked at first and I thought 'great, too old for my vid card/drivers to recognize' but the colors were set to 16-bit... :oops:

Set to 32 the game looks decadetastic!

Just starting to play...will report back from UNATCO later...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 10:45 

I just fired it up, it looks so retro, lol. The colors were whacked at first and I thought 'great, too old for my vid card/drivers to recognize' but the colors were set to 16-bit... :oops:

Set to 32 the game looks decadetastic!

Just starting to play...will report back from UNATCO later...

Yeah, it might well be TOO old to play. I know I tried that game...can't think of the name...SYSTEM SHOCK (yay remembered) last years, and I Just couldn't get immersed into it as the graphics were too old.

I will feel sorry for you though if that gets in your road to immersion for DuesEx, as I have been trying to get that FPS/RPG game experience ever since. Nothing has compared I am afraid. Sadly.

Even the Multiplayer was fun, multiple combinations in that. Twas awsome. I reckon Crysis learned a thing or two from DuesEx.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 13:44 
Editors
Editors

The ENB Series mods have some tweaks for Deus Ex to make it graphically a bit more pretty if the graphics are an issue.

It's weird for me, sometimes - I can play sprite based games that are 15 years old without thinking, "OMG, these graphics are poor..." but then I play something like F22 Lightning 3 and have to stop because they look so bad.

I dunno why Deus Ex wasn't a great hit. A lot of people seemed to miss it completely. I was lucky, sorta: back in the day when demos came on cover CDs before the game was released, PC Gamer UK had it on their cover CD. It was the whole first level of the game. I played it. And I played it. And I loved it. It was released the next day (which, IIRC, was the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter day) and I went and bought it. Massive impulse buy, one of the best two impulse buys I've ever made.

Then again, I also loved Dark Reign, which was an RTS that competed with Total Annihilation and Age of Empires. Both of those were more popular, but I thought that Dark Reign was by far the most imaginative of the three.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 17:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah, it might well be TOO old to play.

Barring multiplayer games whose community has moved on, and games that rely entirely on novelty appeal, there's no such thing as a game that's too old to play. The graphics of any given game are EXACTLY the same today as they were originally. Sometimes better. If gamers in the year 2000 could genuinely appreciate Deus Ex and System Shock 2 without needing Crysis-level graphics, there is absolutely no reason that should bar anyone from playing such a game today. This expectation is completely artificial conditioning.

And it's DEUS. Not Dues. It's Latin for deity.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 18:58 

I always think of it as "day-us"

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 21:02 

Yeah, it might well be TOO old to play.

Barring multiplayer games whose community has moved on, and games that rely entirely on novelty appeal, there's no such thing as a game that's too old to play. The graphics of any given game are EXACTLY the same today as they were originally. Sometimes better. If gamers in the year 2000 could genuinely appreciate Deus Ex and System Shock 2 without needing Crysis-level graphics, there is absolutely no reason that should bar anyone from playing such a game today. This expectation is completely artificial conditioning.

And it's DEUS. Not Dues. It's Latin for deity.

I disagree on a certain level. Because someone (for instance me) is used to good graphics, or a graphics standard that has been improved alot since 2000 if you will. When i load up and old game like Deus Ex, and it has no nostalgia factor for me (never played the game before), the graphics are a turn down for me. While gameplay wise it might be a good game, i like a good looking game. It's just what im used too.

The argument that because people could enjoy it then, they should just as well be able to enjoy it now is a crappy argument imo. For some this might be valid, for others it is not. Standards change. So games become outdated to me.

As mentioned, nostalgia can be a factor here. Other old games i played when they got out, i still like to play. They seem far less anoying for me to play. Even though the graphics are crappy. I didn't like Deus Ex at all, but i ocasionally still enjoy a game of Splinter Cell 1 or the first prince of persia, or the old 2D GTA, the old jedi knight series and many more.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 21:19 
Editors
Editors

I always think of it as "day-us"

That would be correct, yes.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 22:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Because someone (for instance me) is used to good graphics, or a graphics standard that has been improved alot since 2000 if you will. When i load up and old game like Deus Ex, and it has no nostalgia factor for me (never played the game before), the graphics are a turn down for me.

What you are describing is completely artificial conditioning. If Deus Ex's merits rested solely on its technical merits, then you would be justified, but there is absolutely no reason to be turned off by perfectly functional graphics.

The argument that because people could enjoy it then, they should just as well be able to enjoy it now is a crappy argument imo. For some this might be valid, for others it is not. Standards change. So games become outdated to me.

A game's artistic merits and gameplay NEVER become outdated, and since those are what make a game good, a game never becomes outdated by extension. It's not outdated "to you" either - your expectations are simply arbitrary. And depressingly common.

As mentioned, nostalgia can be a factor here.

If nostalgia can get you to suppress your gag reflex on anything that doesn't use DX9 pixel shaders, then you can suppress the gag reflex. All you need is the willpower to get over it, to simply not mind that Deus Ex and other games don't use cutting-edge technology, and you'll be able to appreciate the gameplay, and no longer think of them as "outdated."

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 00:42 

Well, on the graphics front there has indeed been some incredible work done by the community (thanks for the tip Paradigm).

In particular, the New Vision mod is incredible. It updates all (most anyway) of the textures and also Open GL. I've seen the screens and they're impressive. I'm downloading it now, will let you know how it goes. It brings the game to close to HL-2 level (prior to the Bloom/HDR elements).

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 11:24 
Editors
Editors

You're welcome, Gecko.

I had some problems with the New Vision mod; in fact, many mods I tried just made the game crash. Not sure why. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next