Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 14:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 18:45 
Administrators
Administrators

Oh to add to the list:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 19:22 

Oh to add to the list:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

I wish they all were. I own a PS2 basically only to play Final Fantasy games on, and XIII is coming soon.

Arg.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 19:30 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]Oh to add to the list:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

I wish they all were. I own a PS2 basically only to play Final Fantasy games on, and XIII is coming soon.

Arg.

I agree, thankfully emulators exist, although I've not played XII, or X-2 (since it didn't work when I tried it), althought I've not played VI or below, with the exception of IV which I got on the DS. So really, I haven't even played half of them.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 21:04 

[quote][quote]Oh to add to the list:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Arg.

I agree, thankfully emulators exist, although I've not played XII, or X-2 (since it didn't work when I tried it), althought I've not played VI or below, with the exception of IV which I got on the DS. So really, I haven't even played half of them.

I love VI, I played that during my SNES days... SNES was the only console I ever really loved and played more than PC. I played them all through XII, I love Final Fantasy for some reason despite not liking any other JRPG or Japanese developed games in general really. The PS2 emulation scene is getting decent but still not great in my experience, though I admit I do not keep up with it.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 22:43 

Oni

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 23:36 
Editors
Editors

Oni was great. But once I moved from Win 98, I couldn't get it working any more. :( Also, it ran great with a Voodoo5 and 4xFSAA @1600x1200. :D

Sonic & Knuckles collection - I was a big fan of the Sonic games, but never owned a console, so I was really pleased when that was released.

As for FF7 and FF8... I bought FF8 as an impulse buy when it was released on the PC. One of two best PC game purchases I ever made. :D Later bought FF7 on PC, even though I never liked FF7 that much.

Favourite FF game is probably VI. Loved the story in that. X-2 isn't worth looking at, and XII... when it was released I hated the characters so much I couldn't bear to play it. Recently sat down and struggled through it, about half way through... it's OK. Nothing groundbreaking. I honestly prefer FFX, despite really, really disliking Tidus, Wakka, and about 90% of the NPC cast. :|

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 02:19 
Insiders
Insiders

Hm I forgot all about Oni. I got it, played it for a couple hours, then my computer died and the disc vanished. I do recall enjoying it, though. I tried FF 7 and 8 PC versions, but they actually look better playing through an emulator.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 11:23 
Editors
Editors

Hm I forgot all about Oni. I got it, played it for a couple hours, then my computer died and the disc vanished. I do recall enjoying it, though. I tried FF 7 and 8 PC versions, but they actually look better playing through an emulator.

Voodoo5 4xFSAA was the best for FF7/8. ATi's and nVidia's implementations of AA resulted in a lot of artefacts. :( They always have, and still do. Doesn't matter whether it's a GeForce 3, or a GTX285, a FireGL 8800 or a 4870X2. :(

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 18:29 

Also, it ran great with a Voodoo5 and 4xFSAA @1600x1200. :D

OT - How does it feel to not really have progressed resolution wise over the last 10 years? I mean you were using 1600x1200 in the 99/00/01 timeframe, and in 10 years you have moved up 300 pixels.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 18:36 

OT - How does it feel to not really have progressed resolution wise over the last 10 years? I mean you were using 1600x1200 in the 99/00/01 timeframe, and in 10 years you have moved up 300 pixels.

There wasn't a demand for it. With Windows scaling natively and the HDTV arms race it will pick up again.