Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 00:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oblivion
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2005, 19:53 
Founder
Founder

Are you sure they are not Xbox 360 shots ... ?

eek! I hope not. :)

Actually it's quite possible for Morrowind IV (didn't Morrowind III have a PC/Xbox port going on?) For NWN 2 though, I'm "pretty sure" that it is going to be an PC exclusive title. There's just so much going on in a role-playing game of that magnitude that it seems hard to imagine using a console controller to manipulate it all smoothly and intuitively. But - if i'm mistaken, it would be great if anyone could post updated info here.

Here's another NWN 2 pic with widescreen feel:

I've notice more and more screenshots taking on this look. Perhaps due in no small part (as paddy pointed out) to the growing proliferation of xbox 360 titles.

And on a cool side note - I recently downloaded the demo of NWN 1, and was totally impressed with the way it handled widescreen. No tweaking for my native 1920x1200, expanded horizontal FOV with no loss of the vertical, more room for menu bars and inventory and to top it all off, a text option for high resolutions that increased the size of the text, making it sooo much easier to read (has anyone else thought of this? I though it was brilliant). I really have to hand it to Bioware - they truly made an outstanding widescreen-friendly RPG.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2005, 20:44 

Btw, it's Elder Scrolls IV. Morrowind was Elder Scrolls III. I was Arena and II was Daggerfall.

Just picking nits. I hope Oblivion is more like the first two, Morrowind was pretty boring imo, and the dungeons just sucked compared to Daggerfall's epic dungeons. I remember falling down a 20 story well and having to swim down another 20 stories (water breathing!) to find an exit, then adventuring underwater on the way back out again.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2005, 00:00 
Founder
Founder

Btw, it's Elder Scrolls IV. Morrowind was Elder Scrolls III. I was Arena and II was Daggerfall.

I stand corrected. :) Funny though, Paddy's comment got me to thinking how ironic it would be after all the time spent with a PC widescreen monitor, if it turns out that the easiest, most direct widescreen solution turns out to be the Xbox 360. Right now it seems to be looking that way.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2005, 15:40 

I'm not a big fan of consoles, especially for shooters...but I'm starting to think I'll be a 360 owner because of the 720p native support. Nice move, Bill.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2005, 20:53 

Strange all the PC shots are 1024x576, kinda like they just cut the top and bottem off to make it widescreen :shock:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2005, 13:08 
Editors
Editors

I hope this does support widescreen - needing a third party hack for Morrowind was a bit of a pain...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 21:06 
Founder
Founder

I hope this does support widescreen - needing a third party hack for Morrowind was a bit of a pain...

Yea, that's what I was thinking too....Ebgames.com has a tentative ship date of 3/20/06....so assuming that the Xbox360 is available by then, and also assuming that the PC version (although I have high hopes that it will be [native])requires tweaking that yields a [partial] or [fov-h], it will be interesting to see which version I will buy.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 21:11 

I honestly don't mind -h at all. My bet is Oblivion will be native -h, but will really be +h in 4:3, because it'll be developed with 16:9 in mind for the 360. If not...I guess I get a 360.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2006, 00:04 
Editors
Editors

I wouldn't hold your breath for a March release - it was supposed to be out in early November, and slowly got pushed back. I can see it getting set back again if they're not careful.

With any luck, though, it'll include native and most importantly correct aspect widescreen support.

However, Komoto makes a valid point... will 4:3 be +H 16:9, or will it be 'true'?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 22:03 

How do you know ?

It was stated by one of the devs in one of the forum topics on the Elderscrolls website a while back.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a March release - it was supposed to be out in early November, and slowly got pushed back. I can see it getting set back again if they're not careful.

With any luck, though, it'll include native and most importantly correct aspect widescreen support.

However, Komoto makes a valid point... will 4:3 be +H 16:9, or will it be 'true'?

I expect this game will still be out in late March. I have no idea how the scaling will look when playing in widescreen but I expect it to be very similar to how it looks on the 360.