Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2006, 14:18 

I think EA will have to give in and support widescreen. Widescreen monitors are just getting too popular now, and they'll be annoying quite a large chunk of the market if they continue to ignore them any longer!!!

Well i hate to burst your buble but they don't "have" to do nothing. It's their product they do what they want with it, we has consumers have the right not to buy,play it on the other hand.

If you look at another thread here it says that widescreen users are only 3% of the market, so not that big....Remember that we are kind fringe users. Widescreen is not widespread, Mom and Pops, who make the biggest part of pc useres are probably still hanging tough with their 15"crt...

But yes it would be great if they at least acknowledge us....

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 02:01 
Founder
Founder

That said, widescreen gaming shouldn't have to be problem solved, it ought to be as difficult as console gaming (ie not at all).

The more natively-supported games, especially big sellers like this will be, that do it out of the box the better for all of us.

My thoughts exactly. If it were as easy as say, popping a widescreen dvd into the player and watching it on your widescreen plasma then I think a lot more people, gamers in particular, would be jumping aboard.

I think balance is the key here - give people choices. Heck, I know quite a few gamers who still prefer the 4:3 aspect. I respect that, but also would like the ability to choose widescreen if I want. But, having used widescreen for so long I have sorta come full circle, and now embrace both sides. Whenever I have the time to play these days, I enjoy the variety that both 4:3 and 16:10 have to offer.

Seeing EA on the floor this year was interesting. They've grown sooo much since the early millenium days. The floor reps seem to change each year, but I was able to chat for about 20 minutes with Barbera from EA's marketing division. We met in 2004 when I previewed MOH: Pacific Assault for the publication I was working at. I told her I was noticing more widescreen monitors on display and she commented that they definitely added flair to the presentation style. When I asked her about widescreen support though, she commented that it's really more of an enthusiast niche - their marketing stats say that it is emerging, but the vast majority of gamers are still using traditional displays.

Personally I think those statistics will change and balance out over time, but EA is, first and foremost, a business, and they will make their decisions accordingly. I hinted though that having choices would most definitely be appreciated.

btw - I like what you guys have done with the site. :)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 03:43 

Any new word on BF 2142's widescreen support? An offical word would be nice so I can decide if EA will get some of my gaming dollars or not.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 00:37 

I have the beta of BF2142 and it does not natively support widescreen. I have not taken the time to try out the same tweaks and hacks that I use on BF2 though. Honestly the game just really doesn't seem all that great anyways.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 04:49 

What is needed to change the FOV in BF2? One person had mentioned a hack tool to do it but I didn't see any mention of this feature on it's website.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 14:35 
Editors
Editors

What is needed to change the FOV in BF2? One person had mentioned a hack tool to do it but I didn't see any mention of this feature on it's website.

The application Paddy mentioned racer_s working on is not official yet so you won't find it here. If it gets released in the future you will find information on the forum on how to get it.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 18:33 

Cool! Hopefully a Patch for BF2 comes out somewhat soon! And hopefully BF 2142 will actually be good! :lol: Right now i'm way more excited for ET: QW.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 03:01 

ET:QW -----------> :cheers

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 08:31 

Take from an interview at Shacknews:

Shack: Are you going to have widescreen support in 2142?

Kristoffer Bergqvist: We're not going to give widescreen users a higher [field of view], because that would be unfair for the other people without widescreen monitors, so the FOV will be the same.

Shack: But you'll at least have native support for the aspect ratio?

Kristoffer Bergqvist: Yes.

Balls to them.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 17:04 

Take from an interview at Shacknews:

Shack: Are you going to have widescreen support in 2142?

Kristoffer Bergqvist: We're not going to give widescreen users a higher [field of view], because that would be unfair for the other people without widescreen monitors, so the FOV will be the same.

Shack: But you'll at least have native support for the aspect ratio?

Kristoffer Bergqvist: Yes.

Balls to them.

EA is an nursery school (i hope thats the correct word X)). But im cheerful that they will make the first step.

But ET:QW will blow battfield away. :D