Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 19:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasy XII for PC
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 00:25 

I quite enjoyed FFX, i didnt play XI mostly because i avoid MMORPG's.

Im a bit put off with XII coming out on PS2 because its going to look so outdated already, if they released a PC version id grab it in a instant.

As far as X-2.... i played it for about 15 mins.... and couldnt take it any longer, it was just like a charlies angels game ;).

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 10:26 

I quite enjoyed FFX, i didnt play XI mostly because i avoid MMORPG's.

played FFXI for more then 2 years.
It's a very nice game but with a lot of things you notice it is a JP game.
After the first couple levels everything is completely team based. Without a good party you can't do anything. And due the game mechanics one good player cant make a party but one bad player can break it.
That often leads to bad situations because most western player have the my personal goal is more important than the well being of the party. Unlike with WoW that attitude just doesnt work with FFXI.
Combat system is ok, basicly it is still turnbased but then with a little different "touch" to make it more compatible with the MMORPG type game.

Im a bit put off with XII coming out on PS2 because its going to look so outdated already, if they released a PC version id grab it in a instant.

Looking at graphics is a bad way to judge a game.
This is even more true when it comes to RPG's. The best RPG's i played so far where all games with avarage graphics at best.
FF games are all games with just avarage graphics but some of those FF games are the best RPG's i ever played.
Anyone remember Wizardry 8? graphics where just terrible but gameplay was ecellent.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 21:20 

Looking at graphics is a bad way to judge a game.
This is even more true when it comes to RPG's. The best RPG's i played so far where all games with avarage graphics at best.
FF games are all games with just avarage graphics but some of those FF games are the best RPG's i ever played.
Anyone remember Wizardry 8? graphics where just terrible but gameplay was ecellent.

I would never judge a game by its graphics. Most of my favorite games are from the Amiga period, and most of my favorite PC games are from the Late 90's (FFVII being one of those). But its a shame that with the PS2 on its last legs, that FFXII is being released on it, instead of holding back for the PS3 (which probably would have concinved me to get one...) and PC.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2006, 13:14 
Editors
Editors

I'm actually glad FFXII is being released on the PS2. It means I don't have (have being variable) to spend hundreds of pounds on a console that I'm honestly dubious about getting.

When it gets cheaper, sure. But while it's that price? Nuh-uh. ;)

But I agree. It would have made a lot of FF fans buy a PS3. As it is, currently it's only MGS4 that tempts me. And that I can probably live without, considering that MGS2 and 3 didn't really thrill me all that much.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 11:38 

I'm actually glad FFXII is being released on the PS2. It means I don't have (have being variable) to spend hundreds of pounds on a console that I'm honestly dubious about getting.

When it gets cheaper, sure. But while it's that price? Nuh-uh. ;)

But I agree. It would have made a lot of FF fans buy a PS3. As it is, currently it's only MGS4 that tempts me. And that I can probably live without, considering that MGS2 and 3 didn't really thrill me all that much.

Yeah the price is rather insane at the moment :)

I guess a lot of people will get it because its a cheap(ish) way of getting a BlueRay player...

None of the games on it have really tempted me yet though.... the Wii however is a different story!! :D

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 13:54 
Editors
Editors

I guess a lot of people will get it because its a cheap(ish) way of getting a BlueRay player...

Yup. And that is just insane...

None of the games on it have really tempted me yet though.... the Wii however is a different story!! :D

Quoted for truth! ;)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 17:20 

Too bad the majority of the people that buy it for Blueray will be getting the same results as the people who bought a PS2 for a DVD player :P. It'll be a cheap drive with a cheap laser and will result in DRE's.

I'm still on the fence for the Wii. If when I try it and the controller blows me away, done deal. If not, Nintendo gets none of my money this round :P.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 20:11 
Editors
Editors

I never had a problem with my PS2 and reading discs. Not once.

The story changes, however, when the PStwo enters. That has DRE's all the time. :evil:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:00 

I never had a problem with my PS2 and reading discs. Not once.

The story changes, however, when the PStwo enters. That has DRE's all the time. :evil:

Ive not had any real problems, but ive noticed that on really scratched discs (rental DVD's....) the PS2 or XBOX couldnt cope, however my PC played them no problem :).

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2006, 21:22 
Editors
Editors

Ah, well, I rarely rent anything.

If I'm loathe to seperate with the cash for it new, I wait until it's cheaper. By that time, it's either £5 in Sainsbury's (in the case of CDs/DVDs), £10-20 (in the case of games) or I've lost interest. ;)