Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 21:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:35 
Editors
Editors

Well, I always have been able to learn things fast.

I got the "accent" from anime and stuff and just learned the alphabets and stuff via online. I even ordered a few issues of Jump and started translating them with the help of an online translator jisho.org best one I know of, denshi jisho is "electronic dictionary" the good thing about jump and alot of other manga is they have the 'subtitles' for the kanji and since kanji is my weak point it lets me look them up and find there meanings. I got about 50 pages deep before I gave up on the japanese study and started doing photoshop as my main hobby instead (I do all of this at work, my only free time) I mean I just kinda noticed hey... every day I run into about 15 or so people that speak spanish and I speak none, and thru 2 years or working in a hotel I hae had 2 guest that speak japanese, so its not doing me much good, and if I dont use it I will forget it (much like spanish, 2 years of it in highschool and because I never used it I forgot it all) I admit im forgeting the japanese very fast, not being around it means unless you refresh yourself constantly it goes away.

So not to discourage you from learning it, but thats what happened to me and why I only brush up once in awhile rather than study it like I used too.

edit: oops forget about the question.

Well favorite anime.

I guess if I had to pick just one out of the blue the first thing to hit me is Rurouni Kenshin.

it really connects with me, great soundtrack, great plot and character devolopment. by the time you get so many episodes deep you really feel for the characters and can feel there feelings and emotions. Its about japan and that era when swords were more common than guns.

You would have to understand abit about me to know why that fits me so well, im a black sash in ninjitsu and have also taken kendo and iaido, I have a hand made katana from japan that I consider my closest and most prized object. Im not going to freak anybody out and say I consider it my soul like the samurai of the past did, but I feel connected to it in some way. Its kinda funny that I took up japanese and the japanese culture too. I had no reason too, or any influences to do so. So depending on your religon you may say somthing like "I may be a reincarnation of a samrai, or ninja"

So to that extent me aside, Kenshin was wonderfull with the sword action scenes and the fighting, but while having the best plot ever.

The OAV's will rock you with all the violence and blood, then the series will be "bleh" at first this really soft cheezy comedy, but once you get maybe 10 episodes deep and the real story starts it gets just as good as the OAV, then better and better and better. I honestly cant say I know any anime that combines all those elements so flawlessly. i didnt mention the animation being top notch, and also the idea it has some comic relife too to help take you along. Its not super short, and its not like naruto and bleach where it drags on forever. Its just right.

From there my other favs:

Cowboy Bebop: best new age type anime with guns isntead of swords, but atleast there is still good ol' vicious of who I am named after who uses a sword (I guess more history for you my friends call me Vicious, because even tho everybody carries guns today, I used to carry my sword with me all the time, im very much capable with a gun tho ^^ top scores in the marines with my rifle. Got the expert rifle badge)

Full Metal Alchemist: somthing diffrent, was light hearted but cool theme and nice animation, also a pretty good story.

Recently just saw Death Note, and I really liked it aswell, first anime I can call "mystery drama" or somthing to that effect, definitly check that out.

Those are all "middle sized" anime with like 20-50 episodes. Wich I think is perfect. If you want some shorter stuff:

I enjoyed Macross Plus, Vampire Hunder D2 (bloodlust I think), Lodoss War (the OAV is better, but the series is good). thats about all that pops in my mind right now.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:44 

ViciousXUSMC: Not to be demeaning or anything; but with the way it sounds like you play, I was/am on an entirely different skill level than you are . . . plus I meant Brood War, sorry. :P

Berserk is good, I only watched 5 episodes or so, though; but I really liked it what what I saw.

Oh, yes, Rurouni Kenshin is also awesome, along with Yu Yu Hakusho.
Samurai Champloo seems really cool, watched it for a bit and quit . . . I could not stand the music; I might try it again.

Oh, a thing about Trackmania: online play is pretty weird . . . you do not just start off on a circular track with 3 laps or whatever; you mainly play with a bunch of other people and on a track that lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes+. Your goal is to try to get the best time; and you get rewarded points towards your ranking if you do well.
Online play is pretty much like multi-player Time Trial/Attack.
Another thing is that it is not your standard racing game you have to make jumps, loops, wall-ride and other crazy stuff. . . .

Here is a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-XchwyNTxg (crazy track though, very unlikely to come across one such as that online).

You should get Trackmania Nations, it is free; I want to get Trackmania United and Test Drive Unlimited. I have always been a huge fan of racing games.
One of the cool things about it is you can make your own tracks, and play other people's tracks and so on.
So it stays fresh, at least a bit.

I'll make a video of myself playing it, to give you an example of what its like to play it online; with no crap.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:52 

Take a shot at Empire Earth or Empire Earth 2, those are some randomly fun RTS's that are somewhat similar to Starcrat.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:53 
Editors
Editors

I was seriously on the top of the ladder for awhile when I played alot, thats just my fun strat and it works ^^ I didnt use somthing like that exclusivly. It depends on who I was playing. Im sure the brood war had totally diffrent strats tho with the new units. I didnt play that much at all. Even after installing it I guess due to being used to it I played the original more.

Let me know what you think of test drive unlimited once you get it if you do, as for Trackmania I'll check it out, cant go wrong with a free game !

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:59 
Editors
Editors

wow that video is crazy! kinda reminds me of those old micro machines racing games on my snes. I think i will have alot of fun with that.

Now... to use my joystick or my 360 controller ^^ (I need to find some excuse to justify buying a joystick, but I really dont have space for it on my desk anyways, so controller is probably better.)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 07:13 

I want to get a new, wireless controller for my PC; I am sick of having to watch out for two wires around me (from headphones and controller).

Having wireless headphones is not an option, thus I will go with a wireless controller.

Geez, there is just too much stuff I want to buy. T_T

Westy 37", AKG k701's, X-FI, new games, and so on.

At least my handheld gaming is good to go, just waiting for my new stuff to get here (Monday or Tuesday, I hope).

Oops, forgot to mention . . . Trackmania Nations installs StarForce; far as I know, though, you may still play it with StarForce removed.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 07:22 
Editors
Editors

Yah I hear you. I cant buy anything else tho. I got the westy with the combo of my tax refund money and working thru my vacation for 2x pay. It was worth it tho. When I upgraded my crappy P4 computer to my nice new Opteron and 7800GTX and 2gb ram ect ect. Sure I needed that upgrade in power to play any decent game, but before I had gotten the new computer all put together I got a 19" LCD to replace my 17" CRT and even tho it was hooked to my old computer for a few days, it was heaven. Like the best computer upgrade ever. Since thats your interface to your computer its just so important.

So here I did it again and upgraded from a 19" to a 37" and its like a piece of man heaven :P

I should have it adopted as one of those "man laws" to have a computer monitor thats atleast 24" big and widescreen ^^

problem with computers is one things leads to the next.

Now big high res monitor??? now you need a better video card to power it or be forced to play games at crappy settings.

new video card.. wow now you need a new cpu to go with that video card so you dont get a bottle neck.

new cpu... oh crap its a new platform so you need a new motherboard to hold it. Oh dont forget the ram just changed now you need DDR2 instead of DDR.. What your old PSU wont give enough power to hold the system stable.. before you know it you have a new computer.

Thats why as much as i know I would benifit from upgrading my 7800GTX to power the new screen, I wont upgrade my computer and just waist a good 7800GTX. I'll just build a new computer all together. Probably based on a Core2Duo and a 8800GTX (way down the road when prices are down and I have money. I doubt I'll have the money tho)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 13:55 
Editors
Editors

I got trackmania nations but I cant get it to work, as in I start the game and at the name entry/flag select screen I cant type a name or anything, the only keys that seem to have any effect are the arrow and enter key. All the rest do nothing. So I cant get past that screen.

I tried diffrent settings to no avial, benchmark runs fine too 63.7 fps @ higest settings at 1920x1080

I cant find any info on this problem on the web eather....

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 15:24 

That really wierd that you can't install trackmania :?

For the people that wanted to see some good anime i recommend these.

Code:
Chrono Crusade
   .hack//sign
   elfen lied
   full metal alchemist
   fate stay night
   FCFL (fooly cooly) (i know i write it always wrong xD)
   Hellsing
   Mai Hime
   Megas XLR (just too funny, a must watch american cartoon :P)
   Noir
   Samurai7
   Samurai Champloo
   Tokyo Underground
   Yumeria

For games, good old games on the snes or other consoles (I have a lot of consoles here, but want to have more. But now i go, and go my almost burned pizza :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 20:23 

Completely off-topic, you guys just reminded me of it though: I used to run an all anime all the time Winamp TV station, Full Metal Alchemist was one of those "draw people in" shows. I'm still messing around with the idea of reopening it. Anyone got some spare bandwidth?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next