Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 20:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Shadowrun
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2007, 00:32 

I'm pretty sure this and Halo 2 are Vista only because they use the Live service, which is integrated into Vista. They probably could release some kind of update for XP to use it as well though, so it's really not an excuse.

In any case, I had Vista for other reasons before either game came out.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007, 13:00 
Editors
Editors

:( that may be a reason but not a good one to me.

A better idea would be a disclaimer on the box "warning only under vista can you use the online multiplayer functions of microsoft live, older operating systems will be limited to single player content only"

Something along those lines.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007, 13:24 
Editors
Editors

Why allow older OSes to run a new game, when MS can force you to upgrade if you want to play it? :twisted:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007, 15:26 
Editors
Editors

Why allow older OSes to run a new game, when MS can force you to upgrade if you want to play it? :twisted:

He has been assimilated! he is one of them now!

Watch the next step be: "only one 64bit vista!" and they make everybody with x86 vista upgrade ^^

They did that for a special UT2004 and Farcry patch to show off the power of x64 OS's.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007, 05:30 
Editors
Editors

Ugh.. I just read the gamespot review. Good thing I did. I had a very wrong idea about this game and have just about lost all intrest in it.

Instead of being a nice new version of jedi knight where you have spells and skills to use with the additon of traditinal FPS point & shoot, and a nice world to explore. There is no one player!!! Its just online multiplayer only. Thats mostly what I was looking for, in multiplayer it wouldnt be the same, and it wont beat BF2142 for me I am sure.

Whats worse tho is that there are only 8/9 maps so the game gets old fast they say.

Worse yet is MS being greedy and forcing you to pay for gold membership to there multiplayer service to even be able to use a traditional server lookup and join pc only games for the fastest/best connction avalible.

I dont want to get off topic much, but has anybody noticed the Major trend in microsoft latley about being super power hungry and greedy with money?

There are several BS lawsuits they have filed against people to try to get rights to things so they can make more money. Then there is the idea of games like this one wich force you to vista so they can make more money, then in the game itself they want to force you to pay for alot of online gaming apsects. This is a horrible trend to start. One of the reasons I much prefer PC to console gaming is because its always free and well supported with the exception of MMORPG's wich I can fully understand due to the nature of the servers and the kind of service you get.

MS is really getting on my badside, and with the game being 60$ on the storeshelves (saw it at best buy today) it wont be one I will get anytime soon.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007, 07:56 

Ummm, you don't need to pay to browse servers, you only need to play to have "quick match" which includes 360 players, or to browse "Gold servers"... of which there are none right now anyway. There's PLENTY of free PC on PC action to enjoy.

As for being multiplayer only that was always known, sorry I didn't mention it. It's EXTREMELY FUN multiplayer though, so I don't think that instantly makes the game a bad game. The gamespot review is being widely criticized by almost everyone who has played the game themselves... it's very fun. It has only 9 maps, but Quake Wars only has 8... it depends on how good the maps are, and for the Counterstrike style game this is, they are very good. The main problem with the game is a lack of $50 worth of content in some areas, but the game is so fun you stop caring at some point.

I'm not telling you to go buy it, it might not be your thing, but that review was basically a "I wanted a different game than this intends to be" whine session than a real review.

I think a demo comes out this week sometime... at least give it a try.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007, 10:56 
Editors
Editors

Yeah i'll try the demo given I have vista by then.

I like the concept and idea of the game so I am sure I'll like it.

I have the feeling it may semi revive the feelings of when I used to do mulitplayer in jedi knight, only no light saber :P

I bet that game wont run on vista, I dont even think it runs on xp (the first 2 jedi knight games and my fav)

gamespot had kinda said it wrong that you need gold membership to do pc vs pc on a regular sever browser type level, other wise your stuck with quick match.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007, 11:10 

Yeah, "quick match" is actually the thing you need to pay for, because it includes 360 players in the mix. You can browse servers and pick your own game for free, though some servers are marked "Gold Only" and you need to pay to use those... It's funny though, because of the 20 servers give or take I have never seen one marked "Gold Only." Strange. There were only two servers or so on release day and I was freaking out but there's a bunch of people and servers now...

The game comes with a free trial of the Gold, so I've been messing with that. The quick match thing takes FOREVER and honestly you're better off picking your server anyway. It certainly doesn't scream "worth $50 a year" to me when I choose not to even use it.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007, 00:56 

The game looks interesting, however I think this is a grave mis-use of the Shadowrun IP. In fact, I bet the game would have gotten slightly more favorable reviews if it had just been a new unknown IP with no previous conceptions.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007, 10:03 

I was looking forward to this quite abit, i was even planning on going vista just to get this (and halo 2) but my dreams were crushed when i found it its muiltiplayer only :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next