Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 11:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Call of Duty 4 Demo
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 20:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Man I have seen some AT shots, the old british Milan. And that punches a hole in the tanks armour, which is effective and pretty much toasts everyone inside. But the javelin COMPETELY destroyed that target, not knocked out but turned into a pile of bits. I think it is a T72 which is not the most modern or heavily armoured but still...that is very impressive! I would like to see it against an uparmoured M1A2 or Challenger 2 or Leclerc, just for the sake of science- of course!
Good game as well, I think that the demo is too short to be a real indicator but that is pretty much par for the course now-a-days. I'll wait for a few reviews but I have more :D than :( from the demo.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 23:37 

Hmm, I am not aware of any single AT ammo that will completely destroy a MBT. All of them are designed to kill the crew as their main concern.

The T-72 is not a modern tank, but its armor was very good, especialy front and turret, but there are plenty of modern upgrades for it as well.

I haven't played the demo yet, I have the file, just don't find the time to do it. Is it Hor+?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 00:12 

Designing a warhead charge to destroy Main Battle Tanks is easier than designing armour and new technology to protect a Main Battle Tank.

Modern Anti-Tank Missile (well placed shot) > M1 Abrams or Challenger 2

EDIT - noticed you said completely destroy.

That said, one good shot to the turret, and one or two to the tracks, and it is as good as destroyed.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 00:45 
Insiders
Insiders

I wasn't referring to the game but the you tube clip of the real thing. AFAIK it is a T72 hit in the top of the turret as it is supposed to. At the end of the clip when the dust clears there is just a pile of bits left of the tank, that is very impressive. What is more impressive is that the tank was probably empty of fuel and ammo so the destuction is down to the javelin alone (probably)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 03:00 

Something is very wrong with that video. It stinks. If it is real and not "touched" then my only guess is that the tank was filled with explosives on purpose. There is no way an infantry carried anti tank weapon will do on its own so much damage to a MBT.

Here, a more accurate realistic video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_PeXthsxh0
and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlbOh9C-Z4

And several here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrSh8drGMA

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 16:44 

Maybe you're unaware of it but the Javelin has different firing modes. If you'll notice in the video I showed the top attack mode was definitely being used. If you pause the video where they show the missile striking the tank in slow mo you can see the sharp vertical angle and the swift penetration.

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the Javelin:

"The Javelin was created with the intent to be able to penetrate any tank armor and was tested on the M1 Abrams Tank. With the top attack mode it has an even greater ability to destroy the tank because it can attack where most tanks are the weakest."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin

After further reading I am actually more impressed with the SPIKE portable missile system, which is much more affordable, lighter, and more compact than the Javelin system. The launcher and missile can be carried by one man easily whereas the Javelin weighs 50lbs plus the weight of batteries. The Javelin also has a finicky imaging system which can take 30 seconds to cool and can actually malfunction just from the fluctuating temps of the earth.

Javelin systems cost $125,00 for the launcher and $75,000 per missile. The SPIKE is only about $6000 for the launcher and $4000-$5000 per missile. The SPIKE shoulder launch system weighs around 10lb for the launcher and 1 missile. http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=887

I's not capable of destroying heavily armored vehicles like the Javelin, but it can hit hidden targets, crash through glass windows without exploding from the glass impact, and hit moving targets with it's guidance system. It's basically like an RPG on steroids.

Hey guys, still waiting for a CoD4 gore mod after trying to use the gore effects from WiCoPP's Reaity mod for CoD2 unsuccessfully but meanwhile here's a nice camo skin mod for the US troop uniforms by KnifeInFace. It's a more modern version and is the camo currrently being used based on the "Woodland" hunting pattern: http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/KnifeInFaces_CoD4_ACUPAT_Skins;83733

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 18:43 

Hey guys, still waiting for a CoD4 gore mod after trying to use the gore effects from WiCoPP's Reaity mod for CoD2 unsuccessfully but meanwhile here's a nice camo skin mod for the US troop uniforms by KnifeInFace. It's a more modern version and is the camo currrently being used based on the "Woodland" hunting pattern: http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/KnifeInFaces_CoD4_ACUPAT_Skins;83733

Ahh gore mods. I tried four or five of them before I found the right one for CoD2 and even then I still had to tweak it a little bit, but it sure added a lot to the game ... I loved seeing Nazis turn into bright red clouds of mist from a grenade hit, no matter how unrealistic said mist actually was ... blowing heads off was a lot of fun too ...

I keep looking for Medal of Honor: Airborne mods, but except for the one, I can't find any ... wonder why the mod community isn't taking to the game ...

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 18:58 

... I loved seeing Nazis turn into bright red clouds of mist from a grenade hit, no matter how unrealistic said mist actually was ...
Argggh, that's because that mod was made with the effects from FEAR. I've always disliked that cloud of blood look, so unrealistic it just takes you out of the immersion IMO.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 23:20 

I already hate it. I fired it up, switched to 1680x1050, and now it wont run but in safe mode...GAY! 800x600 is not good. I tried updating directx 9 since it gave me a directx error but no dice.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007, 06:00 

Skeeder, if you Google a bit you will find lots of people are playing it fine at that res. Are you using stock WHQL drivers or perhaps betas or Omegas maybe? I just had an error launching the Painkiller Overdose demo that said possible driver update or DX reinstall needed. Reinstalling DX fixed it so it wasn't that I was using Omega Cat 7.9 equivalent drivers like I thought.

Blinky, I thought the level looked a bit washed out too, but if you notice at the start before you get into action the colors are more saturated. I think this is primarily due to the mass amount of concrete, sand and the dust created by gunfire along with smoke from RPGs and grenades.

That coupled with the dim lighting of the night time conditions makes for a washed out, hazy look. As soon as you step into a room with lighting though it goes away. If they were to avoid such effects and saturate the colors more it just wouldn't look as real. I have a feeling those of you playing on LCDs are having much less washed out look than I on my CRT though.