Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 18:20 

http://kotaku.com/361260/more-alone-in-the-dark-tech-in-action

I am in LOVE with this game.

Best Physics and chemistry in a game thus far?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2008, 20:08 

Thanks for that Da Fox, haven't seen that one. I've been really hammered by a nasty cold the last few days so I haven't been checking. The more I look at the awesome graphics, physics and interaction this game offers the more I wonder why they didn't pursue a bigger publisher than Atari. Maybe Atari is improving though and vowing to support higher qulaity, better polished games.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2008, 09:22 

Thanks for posting this. Very impressive gameplay, but i bet the game will be REALLY short (8-10hrs). That's gonna take a lot of beta testing

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2008, 23:16 

Actually 8-10 hrs is about the average length modern shooter anymore.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 01:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Best Physics and chemistry in a game thus far?

Physics, maybe. Chemistry, no. I didn't see anything "chemistry"-related in the videos that wasn't already done in Ultima Worlds of Adventure: The Savage Empire.

Also, technology is nice and everything, but gameplay's more important. And these videos are really nothing more than tech demos. I'd be far more interested in seeing videos of technology being applied to actual gameplay.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 04:21 

In a survive in the dark horror game, everything they've shown could be considered part of the gameplay, even if it's just the method you choose to light your path. What I like about what they've shown so far is it doesn't just focus on eye candy and gimicks. It has good graphics and lighting and shadow effects, but they are just things that make it more immersive, rather than the whole focus. The intricate ways you can interact and some of the unique elements like real time and graphically realistic inventory access are refreshing to see.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 05:38 
Insiders
Insiders

No, they really haven't shown any concrete examples of gameplay. All they've shown is what you *can* do. They haven't shown any examples of real game situations in which you might decide you want to do that.

And where did the phrase "survive in the dark horror game" come from?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 06:28 

No, they really haven't shown any concrete examples of gameplay. All they've shown is what you *can* do. They haven't shown any examples of real game situations in which you might decide you want to do that.

I heard that when you play Fable 2 the game will create a real-world woman named Lisa who will then have sex with you.

Or have sex with someone else if that is your thing.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 06:52 

And where did the phrase "survive in the dark horror game" come from?
I don't know what you've seen, but they have shown and talked about various ways of navigating through the map AND dealing with enemies. If you don't think that's part of the gameplay I don't know what else to tell you because it is. Also, AitD has always been a survive in the dark game, the very name itself kinda makes that obvious. :roll:

If you're skeptical about games until you play them for yourself, I can understand that. I'm not one to trust trailers so much that I'm willing to preorder or pay full price at release. Still though compared to most tech demos these are just as revealing if not more so than others. It's not like they're wasting our time showing them to us.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 01:29 
Insiders
Insiders

they have shown and talked about various ways of navigating through the map AND dealing with enemies.

Again, those are just things you *can* do. Everything you see is basically a glorified lab environment where they show off features of the engine in a controlled environment. Gameplay doesn't happen in a lab environment that looks like a level. Gameplay happens in an actual level.

This is an example of gameplay footage. Gordon Freeman isn't just going "ok, now I'm going to show you ways that sticky tape can be handy." When he does something, it looks like it's because he's trying to play the game - not simply because the demo agenda calls for showing off the neato physics at 1 minutes and 33 seconds.

But when Carnby shoots a light, it's not because that would help him gameplay-wise; it's merely because the interactive lighting effects are item #1 on the demo agenda. No other reason.

the very name itself kinda makes that obvious

The name doesn't tell me where you got the word "survive" from. I suspect you got it from "survival horror," the term Capcom used to brand their series of AitD ripoffs, and unconsciously mixed it up with "alone in the dark," giving the portmanteau "survive in the dark" which I'm pretty sure has never been known to be a type of game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next