Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crysis?????
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 02:21 

I've seen a lot of people say that.

I give it more credit than that. I really LOVED the first half of Crysis. The graphics were absolutely stunning, and it ran really well for me. It has wide open areas so it's not extremely linear like most shooters. It gives you plenty of opportunity to fight people from afar, or get up close and fight them or punch them etc.

It has all the weapons and explosives you could want from a shooter (could have been better but it's as good as any other shooter I've played anyway). But then it lets you drive a variety of vehicles - even a chopper and boat... and then the icing on the cake is the nano suit. It wasn't just a gimmick, but something that actually affected gameplay. It let you have a stealthy approach whenever you wanted to. Or a rambo approach whenever you wanted to. And you could jump onto buildings etc.. It was just a little something extra that most shooters don't have.

The first half of the game was pure bliss for me. I loved every minute of it. I felt like I was there, and just loved it. The only problem is that half way through, it all went wrong. I didn't like the aliens and once they showed up, I no longer enjoyed the game nearly as much. But that wasn't enough to make me forget how great the first half was.

I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 2, because.... well it looks better. It seems everyone agrees with that. Can't wait.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 01:28 

I'm now more optimistic that Far Cry 2 may be playable on my single core after having better than expected results with AC, but I worry FC2 will suffer the same repetition problems in it's gameplay that AC does.

Ubi seems to be leaning heavily toward shootouts with factions and their decision to omit predators I think is a big mistake. Adding predators could have made the environment more immersive and realistic and added more diverse options for side tasks.

Hunting for rare pelts to get supply money, rescuing villages from the predators here and there, and keeping wild animals away from certain factions would vary your rep with AI more and really open the game up. The game could just end up being a shooter with a few RPG elements that aren't necessary to make use of, like STALKER.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2008, 22:03 

I enjoyed the heck out of Crysis. Played all the way through, and now I have started again at the hardest setting. A little short, but i guess we were paying for awesome graphics...not storyline.

Waiting on the next in the trilogy.

PostPosted: 12 May 2008, 14:53 

I finally played Crysis and... just wow. I went in thinking it would just be a tech demo but I really enjoyed it.

I have two 8800GTX cards in SLI and thought it would run like butter, BUT it was pretty clunky in DirectX10 mode. However, using this tweak guide http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_13.html section "Enabling 'Very High' Settings Under Windows XP or Vista DX9", I could run it in DirectX9 while still looking very good.

I also used the "Natural Lighting" mod that's out there. http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=14195

PostPosted: 12 May 2008, 14:58 
Insiders
Insiders

That Natural Mod is farking awesome. The Crytek devs should be embarrassed.

Let's see what you think of it once you finish it ...

PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 15:49 
Editors
Editors

I'll agree there. Crysis didn't look bad but that Natural mod... wow...

PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 17:53 

Oh wow, does that reduce performance at all? I'd like to try it out, but I don't wanna turn down my settings. ;_;

PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 18:59 
Editors
Editors

It axe-murdered performance on my HTPC (Vista64, 3870)...

But, as always, YMMV.

PostPosted: 19 May 2008, 20:39 

Let's see what you think of it once you finish it ...

I already had finished it. I liked the whole thing, except when I ran into bugs in the last boss battles. I guess some people only liked killing Koreans but I was glad when that part was over.