Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 23:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 13:47 
Insiders
Insiders

I've had to revert back to 32-bit when I went triple-projector. Sol7 doesn't like 64-bit OS atm. It doesn't like Win 7 either. I'm Vista Home Premium 32-bit atm. The reason why I went Fanatec over G27 is because of reviews put it on top in most cases. The G25/G27 seems to be the mainstream entheusiast wheel though.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 04:14 
Insiders
Insiders

I went ahead and got the Fanatec Turbo S package and another person bought me the clubsport pedals.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 06:15 
Editors
Editors

I went ahead and got the Fanatec Turbo S package and another person bought me the clubsport pedals.

Nice man, lucky you. Who the heck fit the bill for buying you the pedals? I may get a card for Christmas if I am lucky lol.

Im still thinking about taking advantage of the ~$200 G27 wheel deal before it goes away. I had a really good time playing Dirt 2 today and wonder if the experience would be even better with a nicer wheel but the wheel I have is actually pretty good. Dirt 2 doesn't support Clutch apparently so thats not making me want to upgrade.

The fanatec is probably overkill for my my needs since I am a casual racer and have no dedicated racing setup, I just wouldnt like if I got the g27 and later found I wish I had saved up for the fanatec so still I am keeping an open mind about it. That 5 way wheel shootout will probably shed some light on the situation for me when they do the 2nd part.

Only thing that sucks is they are comparing the wheel only, not the pedals, and from what I can tell the stock G27 pedals are a very good quality while the non club sport fanatec ones leave something to be desired, so its not really apples to apples anymore, that leaves me thinking I would only be happy with the fanatec if I got the clubsport package and $500 is over double the G27 package and its truly worthy of a full fledged sim setup which I do not have.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 07:44 
Insiders
Insiders

Im still thinking about taking advantage of the ~$200 G27 wheel deal before it goes away.

I tend to go overboard on my simpit purchases for both flight sim and now racing. IMHO, 33% off is a killer deal for G27. If I wasn't such a Porsche junkie, I'd do that in a heartbeat. G25/G27 is the standard for entheusiast wheels.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 19:19 

The main reason i went from the G25 to the Fanatec was the Xbox 360 compatibility. I won't have to use the dreadful Microsoft wheel to play Forza 3 anymore.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 19:45 
Editors
Editors

The main reason i went from the G25 to the Fanatec was the Xbox 360 compatibility. I won't have to use the dreadful Microsoft wheel to play Forza 3 anymore.

Yeah thats a really good reason, I do not have a 360 or PS3 just a PC. Forza 3 is supposed to be a super awesome game too.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 21:36 

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

If you havnt already, have a look at the above link, they compare those two wheels.
The G27 is good but doesnt have sequential shifting from the stick, as the G25 does. The bevelled gears make it a little better (smoother/quieter), as do the extra buttons and the shift lights, if you could see them..... Other than that a G25 will suffice, and is still the mainstream wheel used by many sim racers, me included. And, as you say, you are a casual racer, there is no need for the extra $$$ of a G27. Most racers who have a G25 are not updating as the extras are not worth the $$$ atm.
Point of interest G25 and 27 parts (wheel/pedals/shifter) are not interchangeable, logitech deliberatley did this so you coulndt use the old shifter with the new wheel and get the best of both worlds..... mongrels.

As for the Fanatech, it looks nice, performs well and if you are a porsche fan, you will be in heaven, although its mounts look a bit flimsy to me, and could come loose with enough vigerous use, but hey, each to thier own. Good luck with your choise and racing.
Mike