Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 21:46 

anyways, if anyone has a list of differences between regular Quake engine vs GL Quake engine, I'd love to look it over and make an informed decision.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 22:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Here's a fairly comprehensive guide.
http://www.quaddicted.com/category/software-vs-glquake/

And BTW, texture filtering in GLQuake is optional.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 21:49 

For HeXen II i like to use best source port Hammer of Thyrion http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/
And i use OpenGL rendering (hardware) its better for me than software mode =)
I even play heretic and hexen in OpenGL

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 14:20 

It's a tough choice to make actually, though as a rule I'd say if a game does have hardware support- then use it.

Back in the day I had a Pentium 120 that struggled to run games at 640x480 (then considered Hi-Res). When I finally bought a 3DFX card, it really opened up a world!

Tomb Raider was unplayable before, but now it was silky smooth. I much preferred GLQuake to the original DOS version which had very limited resolutions (remember, Quake was DOS based originally!). The ability to play the games at a good framerate definitely outnumbered any downfalls the hardware accelerated versions may have had.

Now of course, we can use glide wrappers, or even re-written engines to improve the games again, while still keeping the feel of the original.

Now, you can take that as far as you want really. I personally don't like the 3D Doom remakes (where they've replaced enemies ect. with polygons as opposed to the sprites in the originals) - they really make the game loose it's charm.

But on the other hand, am I happy to use a glide wrapper to play games like Sub Culture, Overboard and G-Police at 1600x1200 instead of the 640x480 or 800x600 that they were originally limited to. It makes them far more playable on my modern monitor, and increases the immersion.

I think the updated version of Quake look great - they've kept the original character of the game and have improved on it. Actually, the last time I played through Quake it was using the Doom III engine!

As I posted earlier too, the community made graphics addons to Morrowind have made me start to play it again - and I'm enjoying it even more than the first time.

Basically it's all up to you, how do you want to play them? There's plenty of options so don't limit yourself to one :)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 23:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I personally don't like the 3D Doom remakes (where they've replaced enemies ect. with polygons as opposed to the sprites in the originals) - they really make the game loose it's charm.

I second that. I play in GZDoom, and embrace features such as true mouselook, but I don't want polygonal enemies in my DOOM.

Actually, the last time I played through Quake it was using the Doom III engine!

How do you do that? I've never heard of this before. The closest I've seen is something called the Tenebrae engine, which uses Doom III-like lighting effects.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 10:00 

Actually, the last time I played through Quake it was using the Doom III engine!

How do you do that? I've never heard of this before. The closest I've seen is something called the Tenebrae engine, which uses Doom III-like lighting effects.

Yes it was Tenebrae. At the time I think I downloaded it from a site that claimed it was the Doom 3 engine with Quake loaded into it- you're correct though, by the looks of it it was just a heavily modded version of GLQuake.

It was pretty cool to play through, though it was quite taxing on my system at the time!

On an unrelated note, I've just noticed that Glidos and DosBox have had success getting 3DFX Glide support working in games. I remember when I first upgraded to Vista, there were serious problems with the lack of any real DOS display modes (glide kicks off a VESA mode before lauching the API, which Vista/Win7 can't deal with), which killed off the 3DFX support. Good to see they've done a workaround.

I'd love to be able to get these games working *properly* in an emulator like DosBox. My poor old Pentium II machine is getting more and more unreliable these days, so it would be nice to find a more permanent way to play my favorite games!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 01:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I can't say I've got too many games that require 3DFX to get the most out of. Only three games really stick out as major ones - Tomb Raider, MechWarrior 2, and Interstate '76 (and only Tomb Raider is DOS-based).

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 22:25 

There were a fair few racing games that were made far better thanks to Glide: Screamer 2, Screamer Rally and Motorhead. I absolutely loved those games!

MDK had a nice Glide patch (and later a D3D patch), though the game looked excellent with the software renderer anyway.

G-Police and Overboard were brilliant too, though I think they had D3D support aswll as Glide.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 23:01 
Insiders
Insiders

The only one of those I think of as all that notable would be MDK, which, as you said, also supports Direct3D, making Glide redundant.