Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 18:37 

I'm presuming that they aren't banning people for the built-in cheats? (Which disable Achievements if you use them apparently...)

And I bet if anyone tried to take this to court, Blizzard would bang on about how "memory address injection/modification is a violation of the DMCA" or some such bollocks.

Correct, the built in singleplayer cheats just disable achievements.

The sad thing is that they have already fought for such things; and won. :|

I think the main problem is Blizz are really trying really hard to push Battle.net.
And as achievements and score etc tie into this so much..

Yeah, they claim that they are targeting people who are using trainers to get the achievements easily, The achievements provide you with a score that everyone on battle.net can see. They also unlock character portraits for your avatar.

That being said, its no excuse from completely banning someone from playing the game at all. They could just disable the persons achievements permanently (even that is quite harsh in my opinion.)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 19:41 
Insiders
Insiders

:lol: thanks eZ`.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 20:30 

I am confused.

You have to use Battle.net for singleplayer?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 21:43 
Editors
Editors

Yup.

I dunno if there is an "offline" mode... I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could play offline-offline, but it wouldn't let you save, or something daft like that...

I like the idea of permanently disabled Achievements, myself. About the only game I really cared about Achievements on was Defense Grid, and that was more because I was totally hooked on that game for ages. There are a heck of a lot of Achievements in say, Just Cause 2, which I've not got because I don't play it with Steam online. Either that or add a "cheater" tag to their Profile, or sommat...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 21:44 
Editors
Editors

Achievements...the most over-hyped, insignificant feature in games. When marketing folks actually list achievements as a game feature I scoff in their general direction.

I am confused.

You have to use Battle.net for singleplayer?

Well the game requires authentication every 30 days, but I don't know exactly how it interfaces with Bnet for SP since I don't (and won't) own the game.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 21:54 
Editors
Editors

Achievements...the most over-hyped, insignificant feature in games. When marketing folks actually list achievements as a game feature I scoff in their general direction.

Haha, yeah, agree completely.
Well the game requires authentication every 30 days, but I don't know exactly how it interfaces with Bnet for SP since I don't (and won't) own the game.

I enjoyed Starcraft, but obviously I'll have to grasp the story of Starcraft 2 by reading a script that I'm sure someone, somewhere will take the time to type into a text file...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 04:29 

“playing anything other than an unaltered game client violates the Battle.net terms or use. We strongly recommend that you avoid using any hacks, cheats or exploits.”

Done. I will likely never purchase this game, even in the bargain bin. I happen to take great pleasure from modding games in a variety of ways, from doing FOV fixes to just dorking around for fun, but I ain't playing with Big Blizzard.

Yeah, by this logic I deserve to have my entire Steam account banned for using a trainer on Just Cause 2.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 08:18 

Yeah, by this logic I deserve to have my entire Steam account banned for using a trainer on Just Cause 2.

I don't think that it is that bad. It's pretty clear cut that the logic says that you should be unable to play Just Cause 2 again without repurchasing.

If you get caught cheating in Starcraft 2 they don't ban your Warcraft 3 CD-Key. They don't ban your World of Warcraft accounts.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 11:12 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Yeah, by this logic I deserve to have my entire Steam account banned for using a trainer on Just Cause 2.

I don't think that it is that bad. It's pretty clear cut that the logic says that you should be unable to play Just Cause 2 again without repurchasing.

If you get caught cheating in Starcraft 2 they don't ban your Warcraft 3 CD-Key. They don't ban your World of Warcraft accounts.
Given that you can play Warcraft 3 without being signed in to Battle.net, however, makes the point of that a little moot. World of Warcraft? If they ban you from that, they can't charge you $15 a month any more!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 12:29 

Ah, the way I read the article it was battle.net accounts being banned, but you're right, I guess it is just the one game. STILL. I am firmly of the opinion they should never be able to take your game away. Ban you from multiplayer or leaderboards or even earning achievements, that is fine, but they should never be able to prevent access to the singleplayer mode.

I don't think Valve should have the power to do that either, though they do. In the end I usually overlook this B.S. because the PC is an open platform and I would like to see them try to stop me playing a singleplayer game I bought. I usually look past supporting companies that use such DRM and "games as a service" tactics because it's more important to support PC gaming. If Blizzard are going to be such colossal dicks about it though, I don't know if I can give them money anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next